Manga One-shots Discussion

Nephaneel

Brute of the Lagoon
Reaction score
Awards
While it isn't uncommon to see discussion of manga around here, I had yet to see any talking about one-shots, thus I decided to make a new thread on the topic. An overwhelming number of world-famous mangakas started writing these short single-chapter proofs-of-concept, it is how Miura got started with Berserk, Toriyama with Dragonball, and even Oda with One Piece.

Tatsuki Fujimoto, creator of Fire Punch and Chainsaw Man, has recently released another one-shot of his named Just Listen to the Song (フツーに聞いてくれ, Futsū ni Kiitekure, "Listen to Me Normally"), published in Shonen Jump+, which prompted me to re-read all (OK, most, I haven't read Look Back or Goodbye, Eri) of his previous one-shots, as well as other one-shots like Hirano's Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi. I think one-shots are a largely underappreciated aspect of the industry, at least in the West, considering how wonderous with potential these are, as well as featuring some of the most beautiful and moving short stories present in the whole manga/comic medium.

Post art, recommendations, and of course, discuss!

1657046772225.png

1657046860988.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I love one shots. After finishing Chainsaw Man, my friend told me about Tatsuki Fujimoto's 'Look Back' and I sat down and read it in one go. It might be one of my favorite one shots of all time. Its very compelling and Fujimoto's rough art style really plays into the atmosphere of the piece.

4092b001c4ff974645d649bbd923f4a6.jpg
OIP.jpg
game4v-look-back-manga-11.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Famous mangaka Nobuyuki Fukumoto (Akagi, Kaiji) once created a anti-drugs PSA manga on commission from the gov. Unusual considering he is known for psychological dramas about illegal gambling, and probably only interesting if you know his other works.

fkmt.jpg

ざわざわ

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
I love popular mangaka's oneshots like the ones from Akira Toriyama and Hirohiko Araki (the creator of Jojos's Bizarre Adventure). The funny part is that I've never read Dr Slump manga, Toriyama's most popular work after Dragon Ball, and yet I've read all of his one shots and shorter series (at least the ones available in English language).

napata

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Tatsuki Fujimoto's one-shots are all kino. I think most of them are on Shounen Jump+, otherwise you can get the book, "17-21," the compilation of his one-shots before the publication of CSM. Also, I recommend his latest one-shot, "Good Bye, Eri," which came out sometime before CSM2. It's about a life of a boy through the lenses of his phone. The crazy part is that Fujimoto was supposed to be working on CSM2, but out of nowhere he just whipped out 200 pages kino one shot.

1691136462875.png
1691136799053.png

I recommend "Zenei no Archer," written by Tadatoshi Fujimaki (creator of Kuroko no Basuke). It has a really simple fantasy story about 2 kids wanting to be stronger to protect their families/village. There's a twist (I can't remember if its a spoiler or not). Any, the story is simple and the art is clean, good for a quick read.

1691137063633.png

New Naruto's one shot just came out on Shounen Jump+ too, Naruto: The Whorl Within the Spiral. If you want to forget about the existence of B*r*t*, this will make your day slightly better. The story is about the days before Naruto and a certain jujutsu spell. I recommend checking the app regularly if you like spin-off or one-shots from Jump's ended series (there's one about Sasuke fighting dinosaurs or something).

1691137587642.png

My current favorite one-shot is "Henohenomoheji, Stickmen and Pants," a very sweet story about a young boy who caught/developed a stickman 'symptoms,' which alters his outer appearance to be perceived as a stickman. So, it's about his life and relationship in the school.

1691138082773.png

Virtual Cafe Awards