Mighty Max and a time capsule of the public belief in Astral Projection

• Thread starter Punp
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2199 times.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I was rewatching the 90s cartoon Mighty Max last month. For those unfamiliar with the concept, Mighty Max was a series of compact playsets marketed at boys in the 90s. From there they had a show intended to sell the product. The titular character, Max, would use his magic hat to travel dimensions and try to thwart the evil Skullmaster. At the end of the show they'd do a PSA-style bit of factual information, usually about the country they visited that episode.

In one episode, however, they cover Astral Projection as if it was a real thing that people may experience.

The direct quote:
Mighty Max ep 24, Souls of Talon

"Hi, have you ever dreamed that you've floated in mid-air or travelled far away from your own home?

"Well, you just might have... in a way.

"Some people think that everyone has both an earthly body and an astral body - a misty see-through version of themselves.

"When we dream, we might just be travelling on the astral plane.

"Pretty cool, huh? And I don't even have a driver's license! [chuckle] See ya!"

vlcsnap-2023-01-26-23h39m34s369.png
vlcsnap-2023-01-26-23h40m26s180.png
vlcsnap-2023-01-26-23h41m06s087.png
vlcsnap-2023-01-26-23h41m16s943.png

Around this time period (1983) the CIA were actively funding research into astral projection and remote seeing and by the 90s the topic still wasn't entirely settled in public opinion on whether or not it was real.

This struck me as particularly weird. The episode before talks about beetles. The episode after talks about the la Brea tar pits.

vlcsnap-2023-01-26-23h49m24s915.png

It's just such an odd concept to wedge into the show as if it were fact. I'm not going to throw you a crazy closer for this thread that implies the makers of the show were lizard people, but I will say this - for a cartoon Mighty Max went really heavy on the themes of death and killing - with some bystander often dying to the monster of the week in the opening of the episode. They talk about blood and bones and real threats of death.

Fun to think about.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I mean, you can easily and repeatably have out of body experiences if you learn how. They're distinct from lucid dreams, though related.
The question should be why is it no longer in the public consciousness?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I mean, you can easily and repeatably have out of body experiences if you learn how. They're distinct from lucid dreams, though related.
The question should be why is it no longer in the public consciousness?
Are you talking like astral projection, and are you implying that the things you see during an out-of-body experience are based on truth?

Virtual Cafe Awards