Music ahead of its time

• Thread starter Deleted member 2362
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2465 times.

Deleted member 2362

Self-explanatory. Or maybe not. Not necessarily pioneering stuff; just music that sounds more modern than the time it was released in. You can contribute but I'm gonna post a selection of mine anyway, mostly focused on electronic music. Listen calmly:

TelSwint69

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
A track by THE THE called heartland at least 30 years ahead of its time.the album its from is called INFECTED the whole album is as relevant today as it was in the 80s
Matt Johnson the lead singer and writer so criminally underrated IMO
The writing and playing (of real instruments ) on this album as a whole is nigh on perfect and it is an all killer no filler album
the song heartlands description of the grim times of the eighties social/political etc is encapsulated in this song IMO the lyrics are subtle, yet smash into you hard, they are punchy, succinct, and brutally honest

Self-explanatory. Or maybe not. Not necessarily pioneering stuff; just music that sounds more modern than the time it was released in. You can contribute but I'm gonna post a selection of mine anyway, mostly focused on electronic music. Listen calmly:

The melody "Tell me a bedtime story" produced by Quincy Jones in 1978 popped into my mind in an instant as I've read this. Quite the feat.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Ive always been more of a punk rock and metal guy so cant really comment on the electronic side of things except that NIN Pretty Hate Machine was way way way ahead of its time. I think it came out in the late 80s or early 90s.

In regards to punk rock the band Catharsis consistently put out the most ground breaking stuff of my youth that still is uncommon to hear.

The album Passion really hits it for me.

Neurosis album Times of Grace was also way ahead of its time in a way metal has not yet achieved again. Splitting the soundscape and musical portions of the album into separate parts w/ its accompanying Tribes of Neurot realese. They received acclaim for this production but it was ahead of its time despite its commercial success.

Everything Bathory ever made was decades ahead of its time.

Dinosaur Jr, ever the gen x favorite, made their most groundbreaking work in their 2nd album "Youre living all over me" which combined pop, country, noise, and punk rock. Probably my favorite release of all time.

Finally, japanes noise artist Masonna continues to break ground. Heres his wild release from 1990.

Virtual Cafe Awards