Musk's takeover of Twitter official

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
anyway, on topic:

Musk announces $8/mo blueticks.

Twitter blueticks melt the fuck down cause anyone can buy their cloutmark.

The tears right now are fucking incredible.
Makes sense from a business perspective. Twitter is probably the least advertiser friendly of the major socials, and because of that they've never really been able to make money. If I remember correctly they've only actually turned a profit in 2 out of the 16 years they've been around. Someone has to pay for it's continued existence, and seemingly the only people that derive actual value from it are the blue check "journalists" who use the platform to gain clout by slinging shit and news outlets that use it as a reporting medium.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Some celebrities are claiming they'll leave Twitter, except they're mostly B-list celebrities at best, who absolutely rely on social media exposure to stay relevant. With the exception of Stephen King, but he literally just said he didn't want to have to pay for it.
  • Sara Bareilles
  • Toni Braxton
>"I'm choosing to stay off Twitter as it is no longer a safe space for myself, my sons, and other POC." :LaughHard:
  • Téa Leoni
  • Brian Koppelman
  • Ken Olin
>"Let's keep the faith. Let's protect our democracy." By allowing mega corporations to censor us
  • Shonda Rhimes
  • Josh Gad
  • Stephan King

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Some celebrities are claiming they'll leave Twitter, except they're mostly B-list celebrities at best, who absolutely rely on social media exposure to stay relevant. With the exception of Stephen King, but he literally just said he didn't want to have to pay for it.
  • Sara Bareilles
  • Toni Braxton
>"I'm choosing to stay off Twitter as it is no longer a safe space for myself, my sons, and other POC." :LaughHard:
  • Téa Leoni
  • Brian Koppelman
  • Ken Olin
>"Let's keep the faith. Let's protect our democracy." By allowing mega corporations to censor us
  • Shonda Rhimes
  • Josh Gad
  • Stephan King
I don't know who any of these people are except for Stephen King

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know who any of these people are except for Stephen King
Exactly. These people think they are making some kind of statement, but in reality they'd be sabotaging themselves if they "boycotted" Twitter - and therein lies the genius of the "charge for check" scheme Elon seems to plan on instituting.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
  • Sara Bareilles
  • Toni Braxton
  • Téa Leoni
  • Brian Koppelman
  • Ken Olin
  • Shonda Rhimes
  • Josh Gad
  • Stephan King
Literal whos with the exception of King. Speaking of which, whatever happened to all those celebrities that said they'd move to Canada after Trump's 2016 victory? They're too addicted to the false sense of importance Twitter gives them to just leave like that. As much as I wish their fears that Twitter will turn into 4chan-lite would come true, it obviously won't. It's still going to largely be upper middle class buzzkills playing morality police and lame ass conservative commentators.

twitterskr.png

(I know he's a furry but honestly one of the better takes on this I've seen...)

The $8 a month payment for verification could work to turn a profit, every major brand/corporation is pretty much obligated to buy into it at this point. Pretty funny to think US tax dollars will go into ensuring all the 3 letter agencies get to keep their little blue checkmarks.

Honestly I think a tiered system would be more lucrative, reserve blue checkmarks for the big time celebrities/officials/corporations and maybe a light gray one for lesser known personalities/entry level subscribers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
the people who think musk is the "based chad" who will "save twitter" are delusional
and the people who think it's some sort of left wing bastion of censorship that squashes any right wing sentiments are just as delusional and have clearly not used the site that much
Internet far-right is quite surreal, they like to pretend to be tough guys who live in a "traditional defend the west" and "anti degeneracy" state (which at this point is pure hipocrisy)while they cry and bitch about not being able to be racist on something as trivial as twitter, and they want to drag everyone in their line of thinking, now that they have someone that let's them say the N-Word without repercussion and they sold all their ideals just to suck corpo's shoes so hard and so much it is almost pathetic.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Slight addition in that yeah, pure old-school Marxism isn't the most relevant (I don't think I claimed that it was), and a lot of self-proclaimed communists are, indeed, barely to the left of sanders, if that far, (which factors into my point about culture homogenization) but after that you pretty much lost me to whatever ideology you're indulging in.
American left is a dissapointment, i mean i always support any party or movement who strife for equality and progress, but they are just sooo fucking liberal, like imagine being scared of guns, is soo annoying, and their militants are so self entitled and pretentious they think they are always right, is like every side in US politics are a fucking a joke and also quite annoying people, but at this point it feels more of a problem regarding american culture.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Internet far-right is quite surreal, they like to pretend to be tough guys who live in a "traditional defend the west" and "anti degeneracy" state (which at this point is pure hipocrisy)while they cry and bitch about not being able to be racist on something as trivial as twitter, and they want to drag everyone in their line of thinking, now that they have someone that let's them say the N-Word without repercussion and they sold all their ideals just to suck corpo's shoes so hard and so much it is almost pathetic.
Nothing that you said is wrong, and if you want to focus on it be my guest, but I think it's a bit dishonest to claim that's indicative of the general criticism of censorship at Twitter. The Babylon Bee gets banned and discussion of the Hunter Biden laptop is not allowed, but we're able to spend years witch hunting pee tapes and other non-existent "proof" that Trump was some type of Russian sleeper cell? Lefties get to claim (with quite literally no proof) there was some sort of conspiracy by the postmaster general to remove blue mailboxes from certain areas in order to mess with mail in voting, but talking about ballot harvesting (with videos showing sketchy behavior) is not allowed? Not to mention they literally banned the sitting president of the US, but allow genocidal dictators in other parts of the world to spew actual hatred.

C'mon now. There are absolutely bad faith actors who are critical of big tech censorship for bad faith reasons. That does not mean anyone who is critical is a bad faith actor.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
American left is a dissapointment, i mean i always support any party or movement who strife for equality and progress, but they are just sooo fucking liberal, like imagine being scared of guns, is soo annoying, and their militants are so self entitled and pretentious they think they are always right, is like every side in US politics are a fucking a joke and also quite annoying people, but at this point it feels more of a problem regarding american culture.
this is what i'm saying, real leftists love guns

Virtual Cafe Awards

cuneicorn

on the spectrum of love
Reaction score
Awards
At this point it does seem like Musk is going to cuck out to Yoel Roth and the like. Oh well. No doubt the establishment momentum behind censorship would be too strong even if Musk did genuinely care about unrestricted free speech, which is unlikely considering all that talk about linking people's accounts with their real-life identities.

At least for the time being Kanye is still on Twitter posting love speech. These texts from his handler Harley Pasternak just dropped, in which the man threatened to have Ye sectioned (again) if he refuses to apologise to the chosen people.
harley pasternak zombieland.jpeg

It's no wonder our culture industry is so corrupt if these people have the chutzpah to go this far for everyone to see when someone as big as Ye demands accountability.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
For those who may have missed it, Musk [now, clearly] didn't buy Twitter to make it some political paradise, he wants it to be the American WeChat:
Only that the US government hates Musk and wouldn't collaborate while the Chinese government is heavily involved with WeChat and Tencent.
Sounds like fear mongering when it's not different from Zuckerberg owning Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp or Bezos owning Amazon and Twitch or ABC owning google and YouTube.
These are all already attempts of quasi WeChat.

(Western governments spying on their citizens through the NSA and all having backdoors in the major tech companies is way more concerning than the current flavor of the month hate for Musk)

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Only that the US government hates Musk and wouldn't collaborate
It's more so that the Biden administration hates Musk, or at least publicly ignores him when it comes to his company's electric car output (due to less than ideal union conditions/worker treatment at Tesla.) That recent fact check Twitter slapped the White House account with may just be one of the petty ways he'll use Twitter to get back at them. On a purely speculative level, I think Musk wants Biden out and Ron DeSantis in, from my understanding they're text message buddies and probably fostered a relationship over Musk's use of Cape Canaveral's NASA facility.

Musk still benefits a ton from government funding/subsidies (anyone that rich does.) Unless Musk has purged all the former Obama/DNC staffers from Twitter it's still going to be very much subject to glowie fuckery, they still have the leverage. But you're right, at least it may not be as bad as Facebook.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
Only that the US government hates Musk and wouldn't collaborate while the Chinese government is heavily involved with WeChat and Tencent.
Sounds like fear mongering when it's not different from Zuckerberg owning Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp or Bezos owning Amazon and Twitch or ABC owning google and YouTube.
These are all already attempts of quasi WeChat.

(Western governments spying on their citizens through the NSA and all having backdoors in the major tech companies is way more concerning than the current flavor of the month hate for Musk)
As @SolidStateSurvivor pointed out, it's only the Biden admin who has a problem with Musk, and that's also just for political brownie points. Musk gets defence contracts for SpaceX, Starlink and Tesla batteries. And if Musk wants a WeChat, it doesn't mean that the other SV companies won't make their own, too; the US doesn't have a WeChat clone, there isn't an app that does everything: Messenger + Twitter + PayPal + YouTube + Aamazon.

And as for spying, not only is it not going away, it's also no longer the biggest player in the glowie ring. In-Q-Tel funded a startup called Narrative Science, which created a system that could use AI/ML to write on current events. The likes of the NSA not only have all the data, they also have the tools needed to change the narrative to whatever they want.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
1667601235577.png

Virtual Cafe Awards