Musk's takeover of Twitter official

1667630421444.png

the entire tech industry is a mindboggling adult daycare that has only gotten more obscene as the real working world has gotten exponentially worse, thanks to decisions made inside of that vast adult daycare

Virtual Cafe Awards
Here, have something incredibly stupid to read where a Games Journalist compares the current twitter situation to the NeoGAF-Resetera schism.

It's some of the most masturbatory shit I've seen online that isn't part of a mass shooter's rambling PDF manifesto:

1667631303762.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Here, have something incredibly stupid to read where a Games Journalist compares the current twitter situation to the NeoGAF-Resetera schism.

It's some of the most masturbatory shit I've seen online that isn't part of a mass shooter's rambling PDF manifesto:
Journos thinking ResetEra embodies the zeitgeist of the gaming community explains so much

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Journos thinking ResetEra embodies the zeitgeist of the gaming community explains so much
To be fair, there are a fair amount of devs that are on that forum, but I have a hunch that's only because D.I.E./E.S.G. initiatives implanted that sort of crowd into the industry.
/v/ (for better or worse) captures the gamer zeitgeist far better (slurs and coomer posting included.)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Indigo Wizard

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Can anyone convince me that this isn't the whole joke about 'buying Facebook and then deleting it' that he made a while ago, come to fruition?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 42400

the entire tech industry is a mindboggling adult daycare that has only gotten more obscene as the real working world has gotten exponentially worse, thanks to decisions made inside of that vast adult daycare
tbf, metrics on loc are fucking dumb. most of what i do is deleting oodles of shit code and replacing it with more efficient, less tronched code. my "loc produced" is probably negative

Virtual Cafe Awards
tbf, metrics on loc are fucking dumb. most of what i do is deleting oodles of shit code and replacing it with more efficient, less tronched code. my "loc produced" is probably negative
well, what you wrote is probably not shit, twitter is objectively worse than most forum software from 20 years ago. Writing software this bad and making it function unironically takes some skill. I am pretty sure twitter employees would do great on those coding competitions where goal is writing bloated unreadable code that works.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
well, what you wrote is probably not shit, twitter is objectively worse than most forum software from 20 years ago. Writing software this bad and making it function unironically takes some skill. I am pretty sure twitter employees would do great on those coding competitions where goal is writing bloated unreadable code that works.
from what i've heard of silicon valley it just sounds like every company would be a circlejerk of hackernews-poster types who like to talk about writing code instead of doing fucking anything

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Nothing there is really new. Those posts contain nothing anyone with a brain didn't understand was already happening. Every part of the Hunter Biden laptop thing was very very very obvious. It is very very very obvious that Twitter's general moderation direction is towards a centrist neoliberal perspective, where RW nutjobbery is botted down to a level where it doesn't overwhelm the site.

After all, that same RW nutjobbery, itself mostly spook shit, is why /pol/ even fucking exists. That was 4chan's non-solution to it. Imageboards were the net's first experiment in non-moderateable communication at scale and they certainly weren't the last. Social media has the same problems, they're just way, way way better at pretending they have functional solutions to them. Investor cash bought them one hell of a smokescreen.

Shitlib nutjobbery is mostly left intact; most of the biggest psychos there learned to behave by about 2013. Direct attacks on the opposition are now rare. They sustain themselves almost entirely on the blood of their own. Their report bombing campaigns tended to land more effectively so they were tricked into thinking they owned the place.

Both of these families of animal are captive-fished from the ocean of the greater interweb, and there's not many of them (only the biggest and most aggressive) left swimming in the sea. What actually happens on Twitter should not be worth a damn. It should not be The Internet. People who complain about being censored on a single web site run by a single private company are losing the plot. The real crime was turning all other sites into ghost towns, but they're so addicted to Twitter they can't bring themselves to tell the truth.

Twitter's primary purpose is capture and addiction and behavior modification. TPTB are fusing all communication into something that resembles the CNN Headline News studio. It's nice to see the internal communications of the people behind this crime, but not strictly necessary to know what should be done about it. Like posting more on other sites.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Nothing there is really new. Those posts contain nothing anyone with a brain didn't understand was already happening. Every part of the Hunter Biden laptop thing was very very very obvious.
You're not wrong, but having documented proof matters big time in terms of court decisions and writing future legislation. Both parties have factions that are now turning on big tech, and it's no longer feasible to say "that's just a conspiracy theory" when there are documents that prove otherwise. Biden did not win 2020 in a landslide, it is not inconceivable to say that censoring of that story played a hand in his winning. However you may feel about Trump v Biden, no one should want Silicon Valley tech bros and HR New Speak execs deciding what we are and are not allowed to talk about regarding candidates during an election.

Normal people are waking up to the fact that society is governed by social media terms and conditions, and they don't like it. I regard that as a win.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Flight paths are public information, not a fan of this change. Seems like he's trying to figure out a more concrete policy on doxing in general though but I have a hunch this sort of policy is more directed on protecting himself rather than the general userbase.
"Same doxxing rules apply to "journalists" as to everyone else," Musk said on Thursday evening, adding "Criticizing me all day long is totally fine, but doxxing my real-time location and endangering my family is not."

Not included in the article linked are the "journalists" he has banned as a result of the new doxing policies.
byebyeshills.jpeg

Again, I disagree with this on principle but personally I'm happy he yeet'd a bunch of propagandist shills, especially Donnie O'Sullivan.

Virtual Cafe Awards