NEW SILENT HILL STUFFZ

MoonSire

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
So Konami recently gave insight os some of the new SH titles and i'm hyped! The japanese one is interesting, beautiful and horrifying at the same time. Im looking forward to checking out the sh2 remake aswell hope they dont fuck it up. What are some of your thoughts on the recent trailers?
sh2.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
I know one of the new Silent Hill games is going to be put into the hands of Ryukishi07. For people who that name means nothing for, Ryukishi07 is a writer who has become infamously incapable of subtlety. All good horror requires subtly... So I'm not expecting anything good on that front.

As for the SH2 remake... just watch this comparison video:

View: https://youtu.be/FD6FOKVY5YI?t=69

If you need me to tell you why in every instance the original looks better, than I suggest you pray to God for a soul. Perhaps if you've never played Silent Hill 2 before you might think a graphical update would be nice. But I promise you, Silent Hill 2 as it is for the PS2 is near perfect. Again, with horror less is often more. The dirty look and obscured view of the original works better than the cleaner and more detailed backgrounds of the new one.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I know one of the new Silent Hill games is going to be put into the hands of Ryukishi07. For people who that name means nothing for, Ryukishi07 is a writer who has become infamously incapable of subtlety. All good horror requires subtly... So I'm not expecting anything good on that front.
Yeah, I think a psychological horror writter who mostly wrote visual novels (such as Higurshi and Umineko) working on a "real" horror video game sounds like a recipe for disaster for me too.

Reaction score
Awards
a silent hill 2 remake is already a bad idea on its own, but one made by fucking bloober team is a death sentence. just looking at the intro mirror cutscene in the remake is enough to see that they really don't get it
personally i wish the silent hill series could just stay dead, i would rather have new things, but i'm hopeful that the ryukishi07 silent hill will, at the very least, be interesting, if nothing else

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
This might be a heretical take, but I don't think that the trailer for Silent Hill 2 looks bad graphically. Of course, no matter what Konami and Bloober Team would like you to believe, a trailer isn't real time and isn't representative of what anything will look like in a final product on consumer hardware. What concerns me more is that Konami has farmed Silent Hill out to another studio who will, almost undoubtedly, mishandle it for the umpteenth time. I have absolutely no faith that Bloober Team understands Silent Hill and absolutely no faith that they can keep it in their pants for even 15 minutes. I enjoyed Observer but it was a very small and very simple title. The Medium, to me, felt like an unmitigated trainwreck. I don't see why anyone should trust that they will handle Silent Hill 2 with the care and deference that it deserves.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MoonSire

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

As for the SH2 remake... just watch this comparison video:

View: https://youtu.be/FD6FOKVY5YI?t=69

If you need me to tell you why in every instance the original looks better, than I suggest you pray to God for a soul. Perhaps if you've never played Silent Hill 2 before you might think a graphical update would be nice. But I promise you, Silent Hill 2 as it is for the PS2 is near perfect. Again, with horror less is often more. The dirty look and obscured view of the original works better than the cleaner and more detailed backgrounds of the new one.

Yeah i get what you mean, the remake obviously wont replace the original mostly because some of the charm is held inside the ps2 technical limitations of the time. I'm hyped for it anyway because it would be cool to see some familiar places in a different look. Im not planning on buying any of the games anyway lol. I also kinda knew in the back of my head that they're going to be trash, and i dont care.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Masonna

Ejaculation generator
Reaction score
Awards
I actually just just finished replaying through SH 1-3 right before the announcement was made. They're some of my favorite games ever, and in my stupid conception represent the peak of what video games can do in a lot of ways. Like a lot of people, I'm not enthusiastic about the SH2 remake. A third-rate studio attempting to live up to the grandiose twenty year old expectations of idiots like me can only lead to misery. How can you possibly do it right? If you change something, then you've missed something. If you don't change anything, why wouldn't I just play the original? It's not like this is a game with technical problems or plays in some outmoded way. The only result is disappointment.

The other projects aren't interesting to me at all. Maybe they'll be good, maybe bad, but they'll probably never be magical to me like the first three games. That's my fault and I can't blame them for that. Maybe I can just blame Konami.

By the way, I have SH4, but I haven't played more than ten minutes of it since I bought it. I'm worried that the first person segments will make me nauseous, since the opening already did. Are there many of these in the game? Should I just power through? Half the people I talk to say that the game is total shit, and the other half say it's shit worth revering.

MoonSire

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I actually just just finished replaying through SH 1-3 right before the announcement was made. They're some of my favorite games ever, and in my stupid conception represent the peak of what video games can do in a lot of ways. Like a lot of people, I'm not enthusiastic about the SH2 remake. A third-rate studio attempting to live up to the grandiose twenty year old expectations of idiots like me can only lead to misery. How can you possibly do it right? If you change something, then you've missed something. If you don't change anything, why wouldn't I just play the original? It's not like this is a game with technical problems or plays in some outmoded way. The only result is disappointment.

The other projects aren't interesting to me at all. Maybe they'll be good, maybe bad, but they'll probably never be magical to me like the first three games. That's my fault and I can't blame them for that. Maybe I can just blame Konami.

By the way, I have SH4, but I haven't played more than ten minutes of it since I bought it. I'm worried that the first person segments will make me nauseous, since the opening already did. Are there many of these in the game? Should I just power through? Half the people I talk to say that the game is total shit, and the other half say it's shit worth revering.
I've Played through most of SH4 and its mostly in a third person wiev. The only times when its in first person is when you are in your room. The game is meh but it had some cool moments, to mee it feeled like the storytelling was all over the place. I never finished it, maybe will sometime.
The 1-3 are the best games in the series obviously, i really enjoyed sh3 particuralry, so theres nothing that can top them, but still it would be cool to watch some streams of the remake just out of morbid curiosity.

Virtual Cafe Awards