Nostalgic Soundtracks - Movies/Shows/Games

aura_rising

Will Astral Project for Purple Candy
Reaction score
Awards
Which soundtracks from old media have a special place in your heart? Hearing it again will either make you tear up or smile fondly, sometimes both. Feel free to share & discuss here.

for me, hearing the soundtrack of Animal Crossing Wild World on DS brings my childhood flooding back. i would take my DS on holiday and play it in the airport, on the plane (to ease my weird anxiety that the floor of the plane could drop out at any moment, causing me to cling to all my possessions for the whole four hour flight) and all day by the swimming pools, at the beaches and in hotel rooms. there was always a magical mystery to that game, as if i expected there were so many secrets hidden inside. i always suspected there were a way to turn my character into an animal too, being the only human in the game. i'd even have dreams about it. never did find it though!

as for movies, i never met another kid who knew this one. that movie made me feel some things as a kid, and probably still would. felt so lonely trying to find another kid at school who had watched it. the opening song always takes me back.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I really like the following game OST:

• Super Mario 64
  • RuneScape HD (2011 era)
  • Pokemon Platinum
  • Pokemon X Y
  • Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Zelda: Minish Cap
  • Probably more I can't think of right now.

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates OST makes me nostalgic as fuck. These ones have a special place in my heart. Though Conquest is universally beloved by fost FE fans iirc. It was nice seeing the track return for 3 Houses.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOYTGaAvJg&t=265s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJXMnxj7L0

In retrospect, both games were kind of a shitshow, especially fates. But I sincerely miss the memeesque, a bit casually, conversations around fates and awakening. In contrast, we get pseudo-literary essays on Edelgardism on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk about muh toxic chivalry. It feels way too serious.

I get 3 Houses is more or less well written, add quotation marks to 'well-written', but some fans treat it like it had the depth of shakespere or something.

Most Pokemon G5-7 ost makes me sort of nostalgic, also Splatoon lol, but I'll be honest, I've tried to stay away from nostalgia for a long time. It felt addicting and not in a good way. So there are probably many other 0ST that make me nostalgic, I just don't take the time to find out.

This post also got me thinking about 2 things.

1.How I really stopped playing videogames. The only franchise I keep up with is Fire Emblem, and even then, I've been procrastinating playing the new warriors game.

2. I miss the gilva sunner (?) channel that had all of those Nintendo OST's. Not the videos themselves because lol you can find mirrors everywhere, rather the comments on them were a very special time-capsule, or a place where people came to congregate to talk about their childhood in a personal way. I remember leaving comments on those videos back in like 2012 and then getting a reply notification a good deal after like in 2020-2021.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Which soundtracks from old media have a special place in your heart? Hearing it again will either make you tear up or smile fondly, sometimes both. Feel free to share & discuss here.

for me, hearing the soundtrack of Animal Crossing Wild World on DS brings my childhood flooding back. i would take my DS on holiday and play it in the airport, on the plane (to ease my weird anxiety that the floor of the plane could drop out at any moment, causing me to cling to all my possessions for the whole four hour flight) and all day by the swimming pools, at the beaches and in hotel rooms. there was always a magical mystery to that game, as if i expected there were so many secrets hidden inside. i always suspected there were a way to turn my character into an animal too, being the only human in the game. i'd even have dreams about it. never did find it though!

as for movies, i never met another kid who knew this one. that movie made me feel some things as a kid, and probably still would. felt so lonely trying to find another kid at school who had watched it. the opening song always takes me back.

I was addicted to Wild World when I was a child, and New Leaf when I was a teenager... As for New Horizons, I went through like 1 month of addiction. Even ended up paying one of those hacked island services to get all the cool stuff, but in the end, I burned out rather quickly. In the end it just doesn't feel as special anymore, I think I went on trying to recreate my childhood wonder with the game, but those times will never come back.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Blockhead

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

I second you on Animal Crossing Wild World. Played the hell out of this as a kid and there was something about the soundtrack that was just very comfortable to me. I also played the shit outta city folk as a kid, thought it had a pretty damn good soundtrack as well. Nintendo has always killed it on the AC games, musically speaking.

I also second the guy that said runescape music. I was playing Runescape probably from 2007 until 2011/2012, the music for that coupled with a couple of other free to play MMOs such as Maplestory, Mabinogi, and Dungeon Fighter Online were the soundscape of my early internet usage days.

Aside from those Joe Hisaishi's scores to Miyazaki movies elicit strong emotions in me because I adored (and still adore) those movies as a child. A few other anime scores that make me think of growing up
- Welcome to the NHK
- FLCL
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Aria
- Natsume Yuujincho

I can't really think of other anime off the top of my head but here are few other videogame OSTs that make me quite nostalgic

- Bomberman Hero (N64)
- Final Fantasy IX (my favorite FF game)
- Pokemon Diamond
- Kirby and the Crystal Shards
- Sly Cooper 2
- LoZ: Twilight Princess
- Super Mario Galaxy
- both the soundtracks for Melee and Brawl

I haven't had enough coffee yet so this is all I can think of. Usually when I get drunk and sentimental I end up listening to this shit