Obscure but useful tutorials and knowledges you know

Idk if this is what you have in mind, but if you want to edit the code of Pokemon Red/Blue, this tutorial will teach you how to install the disassembly of those games. Once that's set up, you can read the ROM data of Pokemon Red as though it were an open book. Assembly is still tough, but it sure beats the hell out using a hex editor and a catalogue of purpose specific apps to make a Pokemon Gen 1 hack. It also converts all the sprites and a lot of the graphics into .png files. So you can edit most graphical data almost hassle free.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
hitting alt+shift+ctrl+B in Notepad++ applies pretty print to XML files

Hitting F2 on a file in windows Explorer lets you rename it, widely known. But hitting tab while editing a filename lets you immediately edit the next file's name. that's handy if you have a list of files with timestamps in their names or are numbered or have any recurring format:
bill1.xml
bill2.xnl
bill3.xml
new_bill.xml

here you can select bill3 and hit F2 -> ctrl+C -> tab -> ctrl+V and then just delete the 3 for a 4. Enter, done.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
Some handy Windows shortcuts:
ctrl+win+d --- Create a new desktop
ctrl+win+right/left arrow keys --- Navigate between desktops
ctrl+win+F4 --- Delete current desktop
win+e --- Open file explorer
shift+right click (in file explorer) --- shows extra context menu items
win+arrow keys --- move the current window around the screen

Git:
git stash --- allows you to store your uncommitted changes and come back to them later
git log --graph --oneline -n 20 --- shows a visual (and color-coded) commit history/tree for the current branch

wttr.in:
https://v3.wttr.in/Bayern.png (work in progress)

Wiby:

Marginalia:

Attachments

• WinShortcuts_Signature.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 40
Virtual Cafe Awards
I've invested a lot of time in Source Engine mapping, way more than I should, given that the engine is on the eve of deprecation. Not sure how to summarize or say in a single thing, but my level of familiarity w/ a single component of the dev pipeline for an outdated game engine is a very obscure position to be in.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Ah, yes, I too have discovered discovered esoteric, obscure and forbidden knowledge through my internet journey.

File compression
I discovered that most file archiver do not deduplicate files by default. Like if you have an archive with 2 identical 100 mb files, it will still result in a 200 mb archive. The best compression method is compressing file in .7z format with the paramter "qs" - this will deduplicate files (so you would now have a 100 mb archive).

Technically speakng, the most optimal compression is squashfs, but it's only available on Linux systems. It's better to use .7z since 7zip is cross platform, plus it's only worse by a few bytes.

MMORPG preservation
See https://manpaint.neocities.org/library/runelibris.html

SVG vs PNG images
It is a common refrain among graphic designer that SVG images are systematically better file size-wise. This is actually not the case and heavily depend on the resolution/size of the image in question. For smaller image, PNG is better but after a certain threshold SVG images become more efficient.

Love
This the quote of a message that someone posted here. It explain some of the mechanism behind love (forgot who posted this though):

There is something called the infatuation stage, in which your brain produce a ton of serotonin due to being in a relationship, it can usually last between 3 to 6 months, in which couples tend to be super cheesy and lovely, but when in reality, is not real love at all, is just the idea of being with someone who makes you feel serotonin, real love cames afterwards, when the brain stops producing serotonin and start producing oxytocin and vasopressin, chemicals that make you feel connected, comfortable, secure and trusted in your partner, that's when the true love begins, because you are commited, honest, trustful, you communicate and do want to spent your time with that person, that's why so many young relationships ended up breaking up so fast, they let themselve being controlled by the infatuation, sacrificing a chance of love for just a mere temporal boost of stimulus.
Rittuals
In the modern day many people seek "rituals" and some assume that it has a different biological signature than what people do at home. A source told me this is not actually the case and that "rituals" are very socially akward but somewhat fun. Many claim tha it's also a spiritual thing. Regardless, it apparently do not incite any new feeling or emotions in a vacuum.

Genshin Impact
  • According to game data, the name of the Unknown God is Asmoday
  • In game data, Asmoday's voice file have "Kianna" in their filename, the name of a chara. in Honkai Impact 3rd.
  • In the Closed Beta Test 1, the game explicitly said that the travellers came from a wotld devastated by the Honkai
  • Inazuma's story was apparently rewritten. The original story involved Ayaka having to replace the Raiden Shogun, after her death (iirc)
  • In Mondstatd, some runes near Venti's statue reads "GATEWAY TO CELESTIA"
  • Inazuma was originally going to feature a "fan service hot spring", but was cut.
  • The demon name of the Hydro Archon is Focalors
  • The demon name of the Pyro Archon is Aym.
  • The demon name of the Cryo Archon is Barnabas.
  • Celestia apparently nuked Khaenri'ah because it was using energy from The Abyss (source somewhat doubtful)
  • On the leaked map, there is an area tagged "black/dark castle"
  • On the leaked map, there is an area tagged "high city" near Celestia (which is right next to Fontaine)
  • On the leaked map, there is an area called "nightmare's eye"
  • On the leaked map, there is an area called "dragon shadow city"
  • On the leaked map, there is a note saying "reach Celestia through the spiral?"
  • On the leaked map, there is an area called "ring-shaped mountain" (meteorite crater)

RuneScape
Unlisted music does have unlock hints.

Politics
There was once a leaked video that was supossedly taken inside the mansion of an unknown politician. It featured 3 young girls (around 14 year-old) that were dressed in a plain white dress. Each girl were holding a water vase and deposing the water in some kind of fountain. The whole room looked like some prestigious bathroom/indoor pool.

The video was seemingly filmed on a smartphone. I do not know if it was archived or not, because I have yet to for search it.

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
Heres a pretty simple but obscure trick I learned like 10 years ago. When your outside and the sun is beginning to set, if you hold up your fingers to that gap of sky between the bottom of the sun and the horizon each fingers worth of space equates to roughly 15 minutes of daylight give or take.

Virtual Cafe Awards
20/80 rule, seems like shit because it's been desensitizing til forever, but it might work (if it wasn't in every self-help book, dooming it to shit)
Tomato principle (sorry forgot namey this is roughly translation) - make pauses between work segments
Your opinions shape your worldview, so if world been shitty it is because you have tunnel vision, that is mostly learned, disabling you wrong viewing clear...

- I lie to myself :>

Virtual Cafe Awards