Obscure Japanese Horror Games

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Nanashi no Game for the NDS is one that I quite enjoyed. At times is kinda dumb lmao but overall it has a good atmosphere.

Also you could try Yume Nikki, although it is more experimental.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Turtle Guy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
You can try Echo Night and Kuon, both of which were made by From Software
1658779038080.png
1658779061414.png

Also the creator of Silent Hill made another serie of games called Siren
1658779172451.png
1658779181757.png

And finally, the rarest, Germs: Nerawareta Machi is extravagant, many describe it as an open world horror RPG, it only came out in Japan and the only fan-made translation it has is in Spanish.

1658779880912.png

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
You can try Echo Night and Kuon, both of which were made by From Software
View attachment 33045View attachment 33046
Also the creator of Silent Hill made another serie of games called Siren
View attachment 33047View attachment 33048
And finally, the rarest, Germs: Nerawareta Machi is extravagant, many describe it as an open world horror RPG, it only came out in Japan and the only fan-made translation it has is in Spanish.

View attachment 33049
That's a super interesting selection! Which one would you recommend the most?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Blockhead

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Seconding Yume Nikki. The Clock Tower series is pretty entertaining. There's also a good number of RPGMaker games with a similar aesthetic to Yume Nikki from back in the day that are pretty solid. In that vein I'd reccomend Ib, Ao Oni, Mad Father, and obviously corpse party. A couple of these have had remakes put out over the years with varying degrees of quality. Also related but not Japanese are two other Horror RPGmaker games OFF (which is french) and Space Funeral (which I believe is American and is fucking bonkers)

god_is_bread

Camus' impersonator
Reaction score
Awards
There's this really aesthetic RPG 2019 horror game called World Of Horror, the gameplay feels like an old Gameboy RPG title, but there's something really unique about it, the game is extremely heavily influenced by the work of Junji Ito, by the way, to the point that you'd think he was the art designer, so if you've loved Uzumaki or Tomie, check it out ig.

WOH_Screenshot_3.0.jpeg

Deleted member 5489

The Utahonotatari games come to mind, especially the 2nd one. That one has a glitch Easter egg with a what seems to be a dead woman in it. It wasn't localized / translated yet.

vect0r

I've noted a few indie games that are worth sharing.

Demonophobia

1688107709845.png

Demonophobia is the more well-known game on this list but the game hasn't aged well since 2008. The controls are frustrating, the game is overall difficult and the art is mediocre. It became well-known due to the horror aspects and extreme violence (it's a Ryona and Guro game).

Xenophobia

1688108003034.png

The unfinished sequel to Demonophobia that has since been abandoned. Apparently the controls are an improvement but I couldn't confirm that because finding downloads for Xenophobia was difficult and the version I downloaded didn't run.

NayoRiyo

1688108219539.png

NayoRiyo is similar to Demonophobia in that there are Guro and Ryona aspects. But there really isn't an interesting plot, nor is there good game mechanics. Therefore unless you like Guro, it isn't very entertaining because of the lack of plot (no english patch either?).

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure how "obscure" these would be, but I recommend Fatal Frame and if you enjoy Yume Nikki, you might also like LSD Dream Emulator. There's also many YN fan games, which can be downloaded here:
I've noted a few indie games that are worth sharing.

Demonophobia

View attachment 66571

Demonophobia is the more well-known game on this list but the game hasn't aged well since 2008. The controls are frustrating, the game is overall difficult and the art is mediocre. It became well-known due to the horror aspects and extreme violence (it's a Ryona and Guro game).

Xenophobia

View attachment 66572

The unfinished sequel to Demonophobia that has since been abandoned. Apparently the controls are an improvement but I couldn't confirm that because finding downloads for Xenophobia was difficult and the version I downloaded didn't run.

NayoRiyo

View attachment 66574

NayoRiyo is similar to Demonophobia in that there are Guro and Ryona aspects. But there really isn't an interesting plot, nor is there good game mechanics. Therefore unless you like Guro, it isn't very entertaining because of the lack of plot (no english patch either?).
I really like Demonophobia.

Virtual Cafe Awards