Obscure memorable old memes

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Are there any old memes you occasionally find yourself thinking about and having a chuckle, or just had such a stirring message you could not forget them despite the years? I'll post two I think about occasionally to start:
realize.jpg

(Profound repetition, maybe just easy to remember, why can't I get this out of my head??!!)
~~~~~~~
heavybreathing.jpg

(Why do I still think of this? Is Zalaz the fat cat?)

Virtual Cafe Awards

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember an old 4chan meme involving drawing big googly eyes on someone's face and captioning it with "AIIIIIIIIRRRRRRR". I think it stemmed from Total Recall. Nowadays looking it up will get you stuff about that Lapras from Twitch Plays Pokemon, if anything.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgsvWeaqqW4

Not sure what happened to the original, but this video and a genre of memes known as "surreal memes" gaining notoriety in 2016 reminds me how an obscure thing can evolve and proliferate on the internet until most people are aware of it, but for reasons completely unrelated to its origins. specialmemefresh's mememan will for the foreseeable future be known by most as the stonks guy in fortnite... it makes me sad, but also kind of happy that mememan used to be an inside joke between me and my friends, and still is since most other people around me just think he is the stonks guy or diamon hanz from fortnite.

It also reminds me of how you can witness things from completely different worlds can come together to form something you never expected, like seeing cartoon crossover as a kid.

A shitty 3d model from some kid's obscure surreal ironic humor facebook group goes from the "succ" guy to the "stonks" guy format on mainstream social media, that knockoff "poorman's pubg" in july of 2017 becomes the biggest game in the world paving the way for every online game after to implement a f2p battle pass system, a bunch of shady finance bros get caught redhanded by some retards on wallstreetbets with the 2021 Gamestop diamond hands fiasco, and Epic adds "mememan" into Fortnite as diamond hanz, and inbetween all of these events is a myriad of subevents I don't have the energy to write about.

download (1).jpg

b9207e7fc244bede3620287d645f1862.png

download.jpg

gamestop-gme-germany-stock-symbol-gs2c_feature.jpg

1665994896692.png

I wish i could phrase it more eloquently, but this sort of butterfly, domino, chaos, effect idk what to call it of how completely unrelated things come together and evolve in a way no one can predict is something I think about often. I guess it's essentially the same as thinking about how many events had to take place, how many people had to meet, in the particular way they did for you to be here reading this thread, type thing...

Lore.

The world is full of it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 40741
Does Homestar Runner count as obscure now? I watched so many Strong Bad Emails in middle school that all the jokes were permanently burned into my brain.
Only internet people knew about Homestar Runner, and the internet was a much smaller world back then. I highly doubt you can find many people who know about it in your average e-community.

Also, Bone Hurting Juice is best meme

Virtual Cafe Awards

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I loved homestar runner! What website was homestar runner hosted on? Was it something awful? My high school programming class involved a lot of watching musical flash animations. There was one with a song that was like" I don't want to hold your hand, I just want bang bang bang". There was another one that was a tupac parody called "Asian pride" that had a chorus that went "Got rice, got rice bitch?"

Virtual Cafe Awards

MisterSeen

Cup and Ball Hog
Reaction score
Awards
I still have some old HR merch that I bought a while back from their store lying around the house. The shirt I got (pic related) even still fits me, but I don't wear it in public because everyone I've talked to has mistaken it for the TikTok logo.
1666277824600.png

As for my own contribution to this thread, is 9 years long enough to be considered "old"?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLk1GTg5Ns

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
You reminded me of the oogachocka baby, which was a big deal in the mid-90's on the web. Check him out in all its low-res glory:

View: https://youtu.be/2GF3rWj0A_Y

The original didn't have the singing, it just went "oogachocka, ooga ooga oogachocka" over and over. It was used in Ally McBeal and really took off in the age of AOL chatrooms.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Not obscure, and unsure why I feel this way, but I miss when Good Guy Greg and Scumbag Steve were dueling it out. It's not even that they were that funny of memes, but I just remember them being a staple of the time. That Scumbag Steve hat used to be iconic. When I used to deepfry memes for social media I'd try and tack that hat on when I could lul. Wonder what those dudes are up to these days?
when-good-guy-greg-meets-scumbag-steve

Virtual Cafe Awards

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think I ever thought it was funny, but it does make me nostalgic for times gone by. Don't you have any 90's nostalgia? It was a simpler time, when you could look at memes with your mom and everyone got what it meant. No in jokes, no references to past memes. Just a vibe and an image and some music, self contained and self explanatory. Those were the days...

Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
yeah It was definitely an era of a bigger percentage of memes being genuine creative expression. Nowadays, especially with tik tok, people recycle the same joke over and over because they are lame. There are huge tik tok accounts that just make the same joke again and again, with the same audio and everything, with slight variations, and its so unfunny its impressive.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
All the memes I'm thinking of are literally so obscure I can't remember the names and can't find them.

We have the angry baby who yells at a mean strawberry clock.
We have the spoons that travel through time and fight a war.
Here's some garbage I can find :
View: https://youtu.be/yi5eUdVSPIk

How about Charlie the Unicorn? Is that obscure, or did it become one of those magical things to transcend time and be popular?

Virtual Cafe Awards