Obscure Musical genres

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hello, i created this topic to talk about obscure music genres that aren't relevant as used to be and artists moved to other genres or there aren't many artists. I'm listening two of them, Shibuya Kei and Folktronica
Shibuya Kei, Japan's answer to Chamber pop. It was popular at late 90's and it's characterised by the mix of jazz, bossa nova and french-italian movie scores. The name was taken by the music played at retail. Artist examples: Pizzicato Five, Serani Poji, Fantastic Plastic Machine
Folktronica, It's a musical combination of Folk and Electronica. There were local variatons like Turbo folk which it incomporated Hip Hop and Eurodance and other smaller local musical genres. But this genre is more oriented to indie music audiences. Examples: Caribou, Sufjan Stevens, Four Tet

Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Virtual Cafe Awards

god_is_bread

Camus' impersonator
Reaction score
Awards
Speaking of obscure music genres, there's signalwave, but I doubt anyone enjoys listening to signalwave,

But also there's this guy Nmesh, whose music is a paradoxically enjoyable mix of plunderphonics and hard vaporwave, most of the times perfectly capturing a nostalgic and obscure, yet sometimes unnerving and confusing psychedelic vibe. Kinda like walking through a slaughterhouse with a scary amount of drugs on your system vibe.

solarcorp

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
solarcorp.bandcamp.com
there's this really obscure vaporwave subgenre I've been interested in called metrosong. Same concept as most anti-consumerist vaporwave but with a focus on mimicking modern corporate aesthetics, and sampling corporate stock music and effects, big tech conferences, and inspirational/motivational speeches.

it's a style of vaporwave heavily influenced by utopian virtual and the only one I know of that rejects nostalgia in its aesthetic and focuses on capturing the soullessness of modern corporations. Unfortunately, I can only seem to find any kind of discussion about it on its subreddit which is super small

you can find a decent amount of releases under the bandcamp tag though, I found this album by an artist called Wifi Symbol through that and it's a hypnotic sound collage of overblown corporate music and cheesy cultish capitalist speeches.

View: https://wifisymbol.bandcamp.com/album/vision-statement

n@vn

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
there's this really obscure vaporwave subgenre I've been interested in called metrosong. Same concept as most anti-consumerist vaporwave but with a focus on mimicking modern corporate aesthetics, and sampling corporate stock music and effects, big tech conferences, and inspirational/motivational speeches.

it's a style of vaporwave heavily influenced by utopian virtual and the only one I know of that rejects nostalgia in its aesthetic and focuses on capturing the soullessness of modern corporations. Unfortunately, I can only seem to find any kind of discussion about it on its subreddit which is super small

you can find a decent amount of releases under the bandcamp tag though, I found this album by an artist called Wifi Symbol through that and it's a hypnotic sound collage of overblown corporate music and cheesy cultish capitalist speeches.

View: https://wifisymbol.bandcamp.com/album/vision-statement

This is cool, thanks for sharing :)

l0nlym1lk

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The one musical genre that really fell out of the public eye in my opinion is digital hardcore. There are some DH projects that have gained a bit of a following in recent years (Machine girl, Death grips), however I don't feel many people know about the genre term itself. There is a label called D-Trash Records Which is criminally underrated and highly recommend anybody who is a fan of Machine Girl or ATR.

View: https://d-trashrecords.bandcamp.com/album/dtech03-rising-tide-compilation

View: https://d-trashrecords.bandcamp.com/album/dtrash045-covered-in-metal

Virtual Cafe Awards