Old MMOs

• Thread starter Kolph
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3518 times.

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
images-7.jpg

This thread is to discuss the old MMOs we used to play that are now defunct or have changed drastically from the glory days.
toontown00.jpg

Toontown was my first ever online game, you played as a toon (anthropomorphic animal pretty much) and explored the game's several parks as you trained up your toon and fought the evil cogs. The main villains the cogs were actually quite creative, being representations of corrupt business entities in society that make people's lives miserable and the way you defeated them was playing pranks on them with your gags to make them laugh to death. You could also fish, golf, race kart and beat up the cogs at their HQs for cool rewards. It ran for almost 10 years starting way back in 2003 and closing its doors in late 2013 due to game being quite dated and Disney wanting to focus on other games such as Club Penguin, which we all know how that turned out... There have been fan revival projects such as Toontown Rewritten and Toontown Corporate Clash which I'd recommend you check out if you want to have the Toontown experience yourself but OG Toontown I definitely miss, expect maybe those crazy subscription fees.

static.gif

Roblox is another game I hold fond childhood memories for. Now I know Roblox is still around now and quite a lot of decent content is still being produced for it, but damn I really miss the buggy shitshow that was pre 2012 Roblox. For those unaware, Roblox did not have the great scripting support and game dev tools that it does have now, only very basic scripts and tools if anything. This led to the creation of very simple but charming games developed by those who enthusiastic about this emerging online game creation technology and were not driven by the lucrative Roblox game payouts. Games like Sword Fights on Heights, Galleons, Reason2Die and Survive The Disasters were fond favourites and are still around now. Roblox was also good as all games were free to play with comestics being the only things you paid for and Builder's Club if you wanted more robux and places which is fair enough. I think they did try to experiment with Builder's Club only games at one point but to my knowledge they are not as common anymore.

Anyways, I'd love to hear your memories of now defunct or vastly different MMO games in this thread.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Senna

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
When I was really young I remember playing this MMO game called Xeko: Elf Island. The game had a really strong lean into the idea of preserving nature and I remember them hosting in-game events for raising money/awareness for nature protection. What really stands out to me though is that I remember the game being INSANELY popular and filled with players but when i look it up now, I cant find any gameplay footage or that many screenshots or information about it! Best I can find is one single tv advert, a few crunchy screenshots, and only a single video on YouTube with any images of the gameplay. It's crazy to me that the game is nearly vanished off the face of the internet when it had such a strong impact on me as kid! Did anyone else play Xeko: Elf Island? Maybe we crossed paths years ago lol!

I never played it but i remember desperately wanting to play Toontown! The style was so appealing to me but i never checked it out :0

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I remember the Clone Wars MMORPG, i only reached certain level until you needed a premium account to continue hhahhah.
View attachment 8413
Many were like that unfortunately, I understand they have to earn money but it puts off potential players that may not be able to pay the monthly fees all the time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
I used to be obsessed with Adventure Quest Worlds when I was a kid. I was too poor to have a decent enough computer to play most games or have a subscription so it was the next best thing.
I also played a ton of Club Penguin and still sometimes go on a private server to walk around and listen to the music.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 8439

Sherwood MMORPG, played it as a kid on Heavy Games.
Wasn't one that I followed consistently but definitely a good introduction to MMORPGs before I moved onto games like World of Warcraft.
How long did it last for? I take it WoW slaughtered its playerbase.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
How long did it last for? I take it WoW slaughtered its playerbase.
Played WoW for years as a teen, hours every day was heavily addicted lol but yeah lost the magic later on, haven't touched it since, don't really game too much anymore in general!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The original Phantasy Star Online is one of my favorites. I played it a ton as a young kid, although mostly in offline mode with my siblings because we didn't have internet on our gamecube back then. While the graphics have become dated I'd say its general aesthetic and atmosphere is something that hasn't really been topped since. It's pretty much the quintessential video game to me. There are fan servers still active but I don't have the time for MMOs these days. Luckily I get a glimpse of the soundtrack in vaporwave occasionally.
1634250940280.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
The original Phantasy Star Online is one of my favorites. I played it a ton as a young kid, although mostly in offline mode with my siblings because we didn't have internet on our gamecube back then. While the graphics have become dated I'd say its general aesthetic and atmosphere is something that hasn't really been topped since. It's pretty much the quintessential video game to me. There are fan servers still active but I don't have the time for MMOs these days. Luckily I get a glimpse of the soundtrack in vaporwave occasionally.
View attachment 8458
I actually experimented with playing the fan servers on my homebrew wii and they worked surprisingly well though were quite desolate. I would have loved to play this back then but I am too much of a zoomer and missed out on the dreamcast era. Always been a fan of the Phantasy Star aesthetic.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ganstawitswag

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I was so into those early Roblox games. What sucks is I think a lot of them now are broken, even games that were incredibly huge like the Iron Cafe are in disrepair. It's so strange to me that Roblox has blown up in popularity in recent years, in my head when I think of it it's still just those old clunky games.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I was so into those early Roblox games. What sucks is I think a lot of them now are broken, even games that were incredibly huge like the Iron Cafe are in disrepair. It's so strange to me that Roblox has blown up in popularity in recent years, in my head when I think of it it's still just those old clunky games.
Yeah it's a shame, not many were future-proofed for all the game engine changes. New games feel like they belong to a complete other gaming platform considering how advanced they are now compared to the old ones; for example you now have FPS games on Roblox that play just like Call of Duty, that's mad when you could barely shoot a gun in old Roblox.

Virtual Cafe Awards
As a child in the late 90s and teen in the early 00s I played alot of classic runescape.

Totally different even compared to oldschool runescape which is essentially 2007scape.

I used to also play an old text MUD (for those that don't know its like an MMO but entirely played in text) called Act of War.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I never got on the old PSO bandwagon but I did play 2 a little bit. The only real old MMO I got to play was, I guess, MH Frontier if that counts (kind of missing the massive part). I like how they did the thing where all the cool background environments you see are actually areas you can explore down the line.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
Do you guys know Animal Jam? This game basically started my current internet presence. Animal Jam was a flash based MMO where you played as dress up animals. From what I remember you started off with some really bad shit and needed the membership to get access to the cool items. It was mostly an educational MMO. I remember it had facts about the different locations ingame. You could design your house and invite people to it .Trading was a huge part of the economy I think there were special items that you could trade. There was some conversion rate im not exactly sure
maxresdefault (5).jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
My brother and my dad and I played a lot of MMOs together back in the day but the one that hits different for me is Ultima Online, I was playing that when I was 7 and mannn getting PK'd and losing all my stuff was some heavy shit for a child

So many fun memories :Cheetospup:

Virtual Cafe Awards