Old obscure video games controversies/bans

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Having lived through all of it, I don't really know what you'd consider famous or not.
However I have always found it rather interesting how at some point the right/republicans just got saddled with all the blame when in reality the attempted censorship of videogames has always been some bipartisan bullshit.

FFS the biggest anti-game crusader of all time, in the US at least, was fucking Hillary Clinton. And hardly anyone even seems to remember.
She threatened Rockstar with a videogame censorship bill, got them to pull GTA San Andreas off store shelves (they ultimately had to re-release it without the "hot coffee" data on the disk), and then sponsored the bill anyways and went on tour grandstanding about how she was going to save children from these evil violent/sexual videogames.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
FFS the biggest anti-game crusader of all time, in the US at least, was fucking Hillary Clinton. And hardly anyone even seems to remember.
She threatened Rockstar with a videogame censorship bill, got them to pull GTA San Andreas off store shelves (they ultimately had to re-release it without the "hot coffee" data on the disk), and then sponsored the bill anyways and went on tour grandstanding about how she was going to save children from these evil violent/sexual videogames.
I knew that she is an anti-video games crusader (just like all Democrats) but I wasn't aware that she was the one responsible for this stuff you mentioned.

Why American video games developers even supported her is beyond me.

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website

Leaks Ruin The Game's Story - The Last Of Us Part 2​

Ahahahahaha! They're still mad with The Last of Jews 2 spoilers!

Transphobic Content - Ion Fury​

Yeap: It's a Kotaku-tier shitty site

Rams969

Magos Explorator
Reaction score
Awards
You are all talking about Karens and SJWs when the biggest example of hilarious gaming censorship is Germany and how adapted some games in order to keep down the violence, here's some examples:
In Half Life the HECU soldiers are robots
mseogtwrqv4bvjntntua.jpg

In Command and Conquer Generals ll units and their leaders are robots

mhsf3f9ck1531 (1).jpg

Swastika and Hitler depictions are prohibitied, this affects WW2 games a lot but is even more hilarious in Wolfenstein, in wich the nazis are called The Order and Hitler has his mustache shaved, wich is hilarious
_102910134_wolfenstein_nazis.jpg
descarga (2).jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Swastika and Hitler depictions are prohibitied, this affects WW2 games a lot but is even more hilarious in Wolfenstein, in wich the nazis are called The Order and Hitler has his mustache shaved, wich is hilarious
View attachment 61215View attachment 61216
Don't you mean Hitlerious?
6DEM7BBY3EI6HCS5AHGIWS4LLY.jpg

Actually on topic, one if the Fire Emblem games (I think it was Fates: IF) had an unreasonable amount of censorship, which included removing all the romance options and a complete rewrite of a ton of dialog in some of the worse "localization" I have ever seen. The example I remember best was one of the relationship level dialogs that was changed from a few paragraphs of the characters bonding over similar traumatic past issues with several lines of, and I quote, "....."

Understandably this pissed off alot of people.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GothMonk

Intergalactic Bounty Hunter
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
You are all talking about Karens and SJWs when the biggest example of hilarious gaming censorship is Germany and how adapted some games in order to keep down the violence, here's some examples:
View attachment 61214

View attachment 61213
Everyone knows about the ridiculous censorship at Germany, so I wouldn't call it "obscure". Also don't forget crap like replacing human characters with robots at video games series like Contra that was localized as Probotector in Europe (until PS2/GBA era when they finally stopped that crap, Europe never got the PS1 Contra games in my knowledge which were developed in America and they weren't good games).

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Actually on topic, one if the Fire Emblem games (I think it was Fates: IF) had an unreasonable amount of censorship, which included removing all the romance options and a complete rewrite of a ton of dialog in some of the worse "localization" I have ever seen. The example I remember best was one of the relationship level dialogs that was changed from a few paragraphs of the characters bonding over similar traumatic past issues with several lines of, and I quote, "....."

Understandably this pissed off alot of people.
Also famous example of censorship. And unfortunately Nintendo of America keeps doing this shit at games like the latest Fire Emblem game with the modding communities even go far enough to ban the uncensored translation patch
because "it goes against localizers' vision" (ignoring the fact that localizers' butchering goes against the creators' vision).

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
The SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D in germany is still fucking hilarious to me

Virtual Cafe Awards
View attachment 61214

View attachment 61213
you don't understand. germany doesn't keep replacing enemies with robots in video games because they're terrified they'll morph back into ss troops the second they see an act of pixellated violence, they do it out of a deep respect and love for one of their most beloved musical acts: kraftwerk

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards