Opinions of the War on Drugs

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
I feel that we should try and solve the problems that make people seek drugs in the first place. Punishing is all fine and dandy, but the more restrictive the state is on that, the more undercover criminal behaviour there is.
A drug problem is indicative of an untreated and ignored, possibly even dismissed mental health problem imo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
I support buffer zone laws keeping semi-addictive drugs illegal but am against the war on drugs.

I think having marijuana illegal at this point is super silly, basically every person has used it and knows it poses no real danger, but keeping other drugs illegal as moral and cultural buffer makes sense to me. We want to have these little laws to break to provide a relatively safe means to access perversion of experience. The full scale war on drugs must be stopped at any cost though, as its effects are disastrous, so if that means legalizing everything for a time(maybe a long time) I support that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think you should be free to consume anything you want.
But I also think if you fuck yourself up that's on you, you are your own responsibility, society doesn't foot the bill.

I also think individuals have a right to defend themselves, their livelihood, and property.
So if I catch you at 3AM stealing my shit to feed your addiction, you're gonna have a bad time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
nuke the internet, then legalize the drugs.

i mean, legalize them anyway but do both and we're good to go. dopamine addiction is as dangerous as any of them.
I can't believe how overlooked the dopamine epidemic is.

But yeah...Legalize the drugs, empty the prisons.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

war on drugs is based, but ineffective.

drugs are only for the worthy., the govt should actually do MORE to keep it out of the hands of the degens

you dont give machine guns to a gorilla right?

Virago

광명천지
Reaction score
Awards
Decriminalization would be nice, but honestly with local opinions we're probably lucky we're not like Singapore and their mandatory death penalty. At the very least we should definitely get rid of the law against taking legal drugs abroad, that just feels like overreach. If the Netherlands isn't going to arrest me for smoking weed in Amsterdam, why should Korean police be allowed to when I get back?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Narcotics are important catalysts for various spiritual formations. It's as human as violence or sex. It's a tricky question - on the one hand, I think some drug communities have benefitted from criminalization. Boutique drugs like psychedelics develop healthier communities when they're dangerous and fringe, requiring a code of omerta & all the benefits that come with secret societies, among the usually intelligent & high-minded takers of them - look up Hamilton Morris' interview with one of the old chemists who made Clearlight. At the same time, commodity drugs have only created needless violence from criminalization. Drugs like nicotine, alcohol, opium, cocaine - these are just crutches a large percentage of the population wobbles on. They need to be recognized as such & treated for what they are, I dream of a future where Chicago quotes cocaine kilo futures & spot price next to bushels of wheat or barrels of oil. Mexico would be a first world nation if the USA had not needlessly declared war on it over this ridiculous taboo against the wrong type of addiction. This is why I have some sympathy for the (failed) CIA Project to establish "Los Zetas" as the monopoly of what was by then the most key locale of the narcotics trade. A certain percentage of people are going to be functional addicts and an even smaller percentage are going to be dysfunctional addicts. Let's recognize this & just move on like we do with booze instead of fighting pointless wars over it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The war on drugs is bullshit at this point. I believe every drug should be legal after 25. No smoking, no drinking till 25 too. For opiods and drugs of that nature should be supervised in centers where they are provided with safe drugs and are in a safe space.

I wish one day I could go up to a chemist bartender and order a drug of my liking from them and know that it's safe to consume.

Virtual Cafe Awards

OrientalGrill

Internet Trainhopper. Seeker of homes.
Reaction score
Awards
I think marijuana and magic mushrooms (psilocybin) should be legalized recreationally completely. Where I live, you can put a marijuana user in prison for the same amount of time as a child predator. This logic is ridiculous. Also, I think the war on drugs is worthless due to the fact that it only educated the public more on drugs, how to identify them, and how to cultivate them. Adderall is readily prescribed by doctors, but its apparently a felony to use a plant that is found in nature.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Here in the East we observe that drugs are glorified a lot and it's viewed as negative Western influence. How true that is depends. We should decriminalize drug usage more and focus more on why people take them, like some guy above said. I don't believe we should tolerate having laid-back feelings and act as if it's cool to take drugs, especially popular media portraying drug abuse as something glamorous.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
my hometown's gone to shit not because of drugs, but because of drug trafficking. if people could just buy drugs at a pharmacy I truly believe the world would be a better place.
Imagine walking up to the local pharmacist and being like "1 pint of Promethazine with Codeine". DJ Screw would be proud

Virtual Cafe Awards

That1Producer

universal truth seeker, also part time producer
Reaction score
Awards
I think marijuana and magic mushrooms (psilocybin) should be legalized recreationally completely. Where I live, you can put a marijuana user in prison for the same amount of time as a child predator. This logic is ridiculous. Also, I think the war on drugs is worthless due to the fact that it only educated the public more on drugs, how to identify them, and how to cultivate them. Adderall is readily prescribed by doctors, but its apparently a felony to use a plant that is found in nature.
Definitely agree with you on the over education part. Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt as I was told this by a few people and don't really know how true this is but things like DARE weren't designed to work in every place. It was really meant for communities where drugs are already a huge problem so when they brought it over to rural and suburban areas all it did was teach kids who had no previous exposure to these drugs about them (making it completely fucking pointless)

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I was always baffled by the aftermath of the war on drug. While I do not live in the USA, the prime directive of drugs being unheathy was always seen as common sense where I live. The fact that I see many people openly talk about taking illicit substance online is very strange to me. I understand that people are always going to partake in illegal activities, but talking about it openly on the internet seems very unwise to me.

As for myself, I refuse to take any mind-altering substance as it can make me do some unwanted actions and says some things I could regret afterwards. It includes the following:
  • Any drugs
  • Alchool
  • Tea
  • Any form of "alternate medcine"
  • Any form of tobacoo
  • Whatever is contained within "vapes"
  • Consuming powery substances
On a site note, as someone whose first language is not english, the term "drugstore" always perplexed me. I understand that it is just another term for pharmacy and that medcine could technically be considered a form of drug, but still. I find it somewhat ironic that a governement would ban and then proceed to make stores with the name "drugstores".

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I was always baffled by the aftermath of the war on drug. While I do not live in the USA, the prime directive of drugs being unheathy was always seen as common sense where I live. The fact that I see many people openly talk about taking illicit substance online is very strange to me. I understand that people are always going to partake in illegal activities, but talking about it openly on the internet seems very unwise to me.

As for myself, I refuse to take any mind-altering substance as it can make me do some unwanted actions and says some things I could regret afterwards. It includes the following:
  • Any drugs
  • Alchool
  • Tea
  • Any form of "alternate medcine"
  • Any form of tobacoo
  • Whatever is contained within "vapes"
  • Consuming powery substances
On a site note, as someone whose first language is not english, the term "drugstore" always perplexed me. I understand that it is just another term for pharmacy and that medcine could technically be considered a form of drug, but still. I find it somewhat ironic that a governement would ban and then proceed to make stores with the name "drugstores".
The issue in the US is that the "War on Drugs" actually had nothing to do with removing dangerous or illicit goods from the people.
See, in the 60's, the CIA began trading arms for cocaine with South America, and those bricks of cocaine were shipped straight to the US. A variant, known as crack (crack cocaine), was then peddled throughout poor and black communities. It was sold to people as a "cool, "fun" drug and a way for poor people to make quick money selling it on the street. Then, shortly after, Ronald Regan began the "War on Drugs" because of the rise in "dangerous drug interest".

In reality, this just gave law enforcement excuses to abuse black communities. If police officers "suspected" a young black man of possessing any amount of any illicit drugs (crack, marijuana, etc), they were thusly legally backed to beat, arrest, and steal any property the black man had on them. Police were protected by the law, thanks to the initiatives put in place by the "War on Drugs". This is part of the vitriol behind it in the US. Something like possession of marijuana is considered a 'victimless crime', because it does not require you impeding on someone else's rights. Yet, people who were caught in possession of things like Marijuana and Crack were receiving larger prison sentences than people who had committed crimes such as burglary and homicide. To top this off, in the US, you are legally allowed to exploit prisoners as slave labor, and since prisons were privatized, it incentivized putting away as many people for as long as possible.

So, the "War on Drugs" is a misnomer and a term purposefully used to obfuscate the real issue behind the matter.

Virtual Cafe Awards