Opinions on Dead malls

• Thread starter Emy_SJ
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4922 times.

Emy_SJ

Animation Enjoyer
Reaction score
Awards
What are your opinions on Dead malls? Do you like them? Do you hate them? Have you walked in a Dead mall? I want to know your opinions.

I'll start first: I think Dead malls are a comfort place where you want to stop time and go look back at what that mall was before. It fills me with nostalgia and memories (sometimes) from when I was a kid and went to malls with my family. I watch this vlogger that has a series of Dead malls if you are intrested, (I linked one of my favorites videos, but you can check out the other malls she had reviewed)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AISkumKsRE&t=182s

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
There's definitely a fascination with places like these intended to be filled with hundreds of people slowly decaying until they're all but empty. That concept is what makes mallsoft as a subgenre so captivating to me. Haven't been to one that's truly "dead," but the feeling is still there.

Anyway, shoutout to Dan Bell for being the OG dead mall vlogger:

View: https://youtu.be/lNVTM6vE42o

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

There's definitely a fascination with places like these intended to be filled with hundreds of people slowly decaying until they're all but empty. That concept is what makes mallsoft as a subgenre so captivating to me. Haven't been to one that's truly "dead," but the feeling is still there.

I really love his videos PepSiDawgwitcan

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私はかつて、デンバー郊外の廃墟となったショッピングモールを訪れました。駐車場は空っぽでしたが、ドアに上がって中を覗きました。とてもかっこよかったです。アウトレットが遠くまで伸びている巨大な部屋。モールが閉鎖されていても、それはまだ多くの美的価値を持っていると私は言います、多分それが運営されていたときよりももっと

Virtual Cafe Awards

Emy_SJ

Animation Enjoyer
Reaction score
Awards

I loved this video! I also watched this one, which I really liked.The background music too is a banger

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZFOhp6ustA&t=588s

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
I find dead malls very interesting but I can't help but get sad that they died out in the first place. what once was a sprawling, luxurious building with tons of life is now abandoned and overgrown. You'll never get to know the stories and possibly life changing events that went on in there. that's partly why I find dead malls so fascinating. I hope to one day explore an abandoned mall before they're all torn down.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
それらはすべて取り壊されることは決してありません。新しいものが上がるでしょう。しばらくの間はモダンになりますが、最終的には解体され、同じくらいの雰囲気になります。すすぎ、繰り返します

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Camera2-2016-05-11-10-37-42.jpg

The death of a mall is a result of it's surrounding infrastructure not working in it's favor.
In such a place, the reflection of the failures make it a place to wander without purpose or meaning before it's eventual demolition. The majority would come forward and blame online retail for the death of these locations when, quite frankly, the reason these services became more efficient is because brick and mortar stores failed to deliver thanks to factors outside their control. The malls which usually fall dead are in locations that are inconvenient, say... Not close to a highway, not accessible to public transport, not in a location where the median income is middle class or above, not close enough to housing by walking distance or in a location of high density low/high density housing.
Malls are a victim of the decaying sprawls and they, sadly, must die for the sake of the economy moving to places where it's actually functional.
It's survival of the fittest.

Virtual Cafe Awards
View attachment 2997
The death of a mall is a result of it's surrounding infrastructure not working in it's favor.
In such a place, the reflection of the failures make it a place to wander without purpose or meaning before it's eventual demolition. The majority would come forward and blame online retail for the death of these locations when, quite frankly, the reason these services became more efficient is because brick and mortar stores failed to deliver thanks to factors outside their control. The malls which usually fall dead are in locations that are inconvenient, say... Not close to a highway, not accessible to public transport, not in a location where the median income is middle class or above, not close enough to housing by walking distance or in a location of high density low/high density housing.
Malls are a victim of the decaying sprawls and they, sadly, must die for the sake of the economy moving to places where it's actually functional.
It's survival of the fittest.
Are you sure its just that? With the last year being one that saw a new peak in online store sales, I think that might just be the nail in the coffin of brick and mortar stores.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Are you sure its just that? With the last year being one that saw a new peak in online store sales, I think that might just be the nail in the coffin of brick and mortar stores.
そうは思いません。パンデミックが終わったら、人々は再び買い物に行きたくなるでしょう。それは多くの人々にとって楽しい活動であり、インターネットはそれを複製することはできません。未来のモールは郊外ではなく忙しいエリアにあるというだけです

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Yeah, it's simply the fault of the design of the suburbs and highways. People need to go out to experience things and be social because it is in their nature. The reason this seems to be rampant is because an incredible amount of shopping centers were built all over the place instead of in locations that benefit from logistics.
A good example of this is how Berkshire Mall has survived while Fairgrounds Square hasn't. Berkshire benefits from being accessed by a relatively wealthy neighborhood, it has access from the 422 and Penn Ave. and there are educational institutions within a 10 min radius... Fairgrounds on the other hand is surrounded by storehouses and other stripmalls, the only way to access this place is with the 222 and even though there is a bus route running through... the population that it serves is extremely low income because half of Reading is a condemned slum.
I could add more examples to this phenomena and it all has to do with poor planning.

Virtual Cafe Awards
新しいモールは都市部にあると私は予測しています
The gentrification of Cities in part has to do with this, wealthier people are moving back in there and as a result their presence demands commerce accommodations for their kind. "Mallification" is turning abandoned and decaying city areas into pedestrian friendly shopping villages, it won't be long before we get some "Wipeout" style Ubermall going on if the trend is correct.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

naa

The gentrification of Cities in part has to do with this, wealthier people are moving back in there and as a result their presence demands commerce accommodations for their kind. "Mallification" is turning abandoned and decaying city areas into pedestrian friendly shopping villages, it won't be long before we get some "Wipeout" style Ubermall going on if the trend is correct.
You're really right. There are already Ubermalls in some places, I think they might not be common everywhere but it feels like more will be coming.
The mall AEON LakeTown really reminds me of the Ubermall in Wipeout, it doesn't have a design as clean though. I'm pretty sure it's three multi-story buildings connected by like, sky bridges? with over 700 stores and a foresty walking path. I'm sure some places have bigger ones but this one already feels absurdly big.
aeon laketown.jpg

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
はい、モールが実際に絶滅することは決してありませんが、それらははるかに空想的で、おそらくはるかに大きくなります。巨大なメガストラクチャーを考えてください

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

はい、モールが実際に絶滅することは決してありませんが、それらははるかに空想的で、おそらくはるかに大きくなります。巨大なメガストラクチャーを考えてください
I think more fantastical, large malls also to a degree lower the chance of mall death. A lot of people seem willing to go out of their way to get to a mall if it's fancy, extremely big, or interesting enough.

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
大きな高級モールが放棄されて取り替えられると、それらはまた、幽霊とノスタルジックな感覚を持つでしょう。素晴らしいのは、それらがさらに大きくなるので、探索するためのより多くの空の廊下があることです

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

naa

大きな高級モールが放棄されて取り替えられると、それらはまた、幽霊とノスタルジックな感覚を持つでしょう。素晴らしいのは、それらがさらに大きくなるので、探索するためのより多くの空の廊下があることです
A large, luxury mall that's been abandoned would definitely be very exciting to explore!

A large, luxury mall that's been abandoned would definitely be very exciting to explore!
that's like a bucket list thing for me, I've been looking at doing a road trip and just hitting a ton of abandoned malls. I can only imagine how cool that would be.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

naa

that's like a bucket list thing for me, I've been looking at doing a road trip and just hitting a ton of abandoned malls. I can only imagine how cool that would be.
when you do it totally share photos if you don't mind, sounds cool as hell