Outdated Internet Slang

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Less of a slang thing and more of an old internet thing in general, but i really miss seeing people use emoticons.
Especially now with the overbearing presence of emojis, they have basically no chance of ever coming back. I still use them, but i guess that places me in the minority XD
People stopped using emoticons when websites and apps started autocorrecting them to emojis. I remember thinking it was aids when I first saw it happen.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I don't even know the last time I saw brb or gtg. Now everyone just replies ages later so there's never a need for it.
damn... you're right i didn't even notice that change. Because technically on a smartphone you're always at keyboard theres no gtg or brb needed.

Brb and gtg came and went with the instant messenger era.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Snooper

Peelopaalu Janny
Reaction score
Awards
Website
s.neocities.org
Dude I was gonna mention this. Faggot and retard used to such common terminology in Newgrounds days and now people are too scared to say shit.
I've been on Newgrounds since 1999, and you'd be amazed at how much the culture of the site has changed in the last 2 or 3 years since Tumblr and FNF zoomers have flooded the website. I think saying retard is something you can still get away with, but any other word that could be deemed as a slur is pretty much an instant ban these days regardless of context. It's wild to think that the same website that stemmed out of the viral success of a game based on columbine and another where you club seals to death is now basically just "edgy Tumblr" - It's honestly a little sad. If the current userbase knew about half of the shit that went on there years ago they'd have a fucking hissy fit, lol.

Don't get me wrong - Tom is a super nice dude, and he's very patient and accomodating to the new-wave of NG users, and I still love NG and everything that has come out of it over the years. I still visit the site to this day and it's still got some absolute gems tucked away on there, but the culture shift is a little bit much for me to really feel like a part of the community anymore :(

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Holy fuck, Roblox. I miss the days of throwing around the word n00b, but man, who knows how offended people would get over that nowadays.
This reminds me, I remember "soz" was a replacement for sorry and "pl0x" was for please on Roblox for a time
I wanna start saying them again they're pretty funny sounding

Virtual Cafe Awards

power gem

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
It occurred to me I haven't come across a "rofl" in the wild for quite some time.
don't forget the wacky variations like "roflcopter" and "OMGWTFBBQ"
now that I think about it, it's been ages since I've heard "lolwut". for a few years you couldn't go anywhere without seeing that damn pear...

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
This reminds me, I remember "soz" was a replacement for sorry and "pl0x" was for please on Roblox for a time
I wanna start saying them again they're pretty funny sounding
I was going to say that "pl0x" has been slang for "please" for quite a while, but when looking for an example, I found that it's actually already in the dictionary:
Plox, or pl0x, is internet slang for "please." It is often used to mock the writing of young, inexperienced, or obnoxious computer users.

Plox comes from plx, a mistyping of plz that in turn is leetspeak shorthand meaning "please." Leetspeak is an 1980–90s internet language known for shortening words and substituting numbers and special characters for letters, which is why plox is sometimes written as pl0x, with a zero for letter O.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3990

Dude I was gonna mention this. Faggot and retard used to such common terminology in Newgrounds days and now people are too scared to say shit.
We normalized them taking "faggot" from us, and the same thing is now subtly happening to "retard."