Outdated Internet Slang

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't even know the last time I saw brb or gtg. Now everyone just replies ages later so there's never a need for it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
The MegaZeux community (and probably ZZTers) had "nmiaow" which means "not meant in an obscene/offensive way". It's basically used after anything that could be taken out of context, like preemptively acknowledging a potential "that's what she said" joke. But it was often just used randomly too. Here it is in action:
Anyway, what's the best grilled cheese of your life? Grilled [insert meat here, nmiaow, and] cheese sandwiches are also acceptable.
And again:
Ahh...Robocop. One of my favorite movies. Perhaps I will bring it out and watch it tonight! Oh, and thanks for getting straight to the point, Gofer. Beating around the bush (NMIAOW) has obviously done him no good.
And one more:
Beginning of the end. Start of the finish. First of the last. Largely small.
Ummm.... I had one, but
then my brain went
|
V
fart.gif

EDIT: Miniature Giant (Fred's thing (nmiaow) under his avatar)

Virtual Cafe Awards

DruidVibes

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't even know the last time I saw brb or gtg. Now everyone just replies ages later so there's never a need for it.
I see these used a lot on discord, but definitely not as much as they used to be used. Somehow ttyl and bye are more popular now.

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I see these used a lot on discord, but definitely not as much as they used to be used. Somehow ttyl and bye are more popular now.
I don't see those at all either. What type of community is it? I'm curious

Virtual Cafe Awards

DruidVibes

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't see those at all either. What type of community is it? I'm curious
I'm in a bunch of different communities: my friend group form HS, friend group from university, a few for fans on youtubers, podcast fan discord, one for programmers in the area I live in, one for the area I live in in general, and a few others that were just made by irl/internet friends of mine.

RealTomCruise

Internet Pilgrim
Reaction score
Awards
A few days ago I left my friend baffled as I responded to him with "lel", it was very awkward as he demanded an explanation for what it stood for.

I find nobody in my group of friends uses -fag, but their is an unholy amount of people calling each other retards. There's one friend who gets offended at it, but it just leads to everyone intentionally using it around him.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
This is probably a hot take, but I think most of those slangs are better left in the past.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
My favorite 1337speak thing was replacing the "ck" in a word with "x0r" or similar. I bet if people used cuck around the same time that was popular, we'd have at least one unironic use of "teh cux0rz".
Dude I'm adding cux0r to my vocabulary, this is brilliant.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
I miss the times when "netizen" was still used widely. Everyone could have a geocities site (or some other form of personal website) and feel like they were a part of a bigger, globe-spanning community without boundaries. Netizen perfectly encapsulated that feeling

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
i remember i used to go on forums for sites that didn't allow words like fag so we'd say "newbag" instead and i'm sad that's never caught on anywhere lol
post sjw twitch uses 'newfrog'

Virtual Cafe Awards

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
Less of a slang thing and more of an old internet thing in general, but i really miss seeing people use emoticons.
Especially now with the overbearing presence of emojis, they have basically no chance of ever coming back. I still use them, but i guess that places me in the minority XD

Virtual Cafe Awards