Pagan Religion

• Thread starter gaymen
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1273 times.

gaymen

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I am not a pagan myself but I am mildly interested in the pagan traditions of the gaulic/celtic/germanic peoples of the Iron Age, more so on the actual values of paganism. It seems to me, knowing as little as I know, that pagans and pagan religion have a lack of values or morals associated with their faith, I would definitely like to know if I am wrong about this assumption.
61 Mythopoetic semiotics ideas | runes meaning, runes, asatru236 × 197
also i think this cross is cool :]

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

I practiced Paganism for just over a year and found it incredibly empty. Some have called it Atheism with extra steps and I think that's a correct assertion. In my case I went with Celtic as that is what my ancestors would have practiced historically. Celtic is also the worst because the Celts never wrote anything down. Although it is said to be similar to the spiritual beliefs of Pythagoras. The Gods in pagan beliefs do not really care about you. You must make offerings to them in order to achieve favours which is frankly quite a cold relationship to have. I consider it to be nothing more than a mere stepping stone towards more mainstream and codified religions. You can tell this by the fact that most Pagans are obsessed with Christianity specifically and trying to delegitimise it. That is always the marker of someone in denial.

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's a wide field to put it lightly, you would be best reading direct sources such as the Hávamál or Mabinogion. It's not a celtic/german/gaul work but I highly recommend reading Sallustius On the Gods and the World to clear up some modern misconception people have.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
You should join Mikuism, NOW!
1646526057814.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

gaymen

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Celtic is also the worst because the Celts never wrote anything down.
This is what I based my assumptions on, the gauls also wrote very little i believe. All our knowledge on celtic and gaul religion/tradition almost completely comes from greco-roman sources.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
I am not a pagan myself but I am mildly interested in the pagan traditions of the gaulic/celtic/germanic peoples of the Iron Age, more so on the actual values of paganism. It seems to me, knowing as little as I know, that pagans and pagan religion have a lack of values or morals associated with their faith, I would definitely like to know if I am wrong about this assumption.

For sure lets eat babies and sacrifice the weak to the gods. Sounds legit.

Mamisu

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I practiced Paganism for just over a year and found it incredibly empty. Some have called it Atheism with extra steps and I think that's a correct assertion. In my case I went with Celtic as that is what my ancestors would have practiced historically. Celtic is also the worst because the Celts never wrote anything down. Although it is said to be similar to the spiritual beliefs of Pythagoras. The Gods in pagan beliefs do not really care about you. You must make offerings to them in order to achieve favours which is frankly quite a cold relationship to have. I consider it to be nothing more than a mere stepping stone towards more mainstream and codified religions. You can tell this by the fact that most Pagans are obsessed with Christianity specifically and trying to delegitimise it. That is always the marker of someone in denial.
I find with most atheists and pagans, satanists, whatever, that they're just mad at god for not behaving as they think he should. But God is all knowing, and makes better decisions than we can understand.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Baltic paganism (Romuva) seems interesting to me. I can only associate Norse paganism with nazi LARPing though.
Of course, I am dedicated to the moon shota though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
For sure lets eat babies and sacrifice the weak to the gods. Sounds legit.
I mean like, better than half the shit going on today. Maybe we should revert.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
"Pagan" refers to exclusion. Someone isn't a Christian, Muslim, or Jew (this is in the T&O map perspective) so they're given a label which refers to their outsideness (ha) from that general category of "real religion". Neopagan religion is fake - it's an organized religion created to replace, act the same as any other religion, but because your parents were mean to you, you replace Jesus with Odin and call it a "Coven" instead of a "Church" - you're just putting a new coat of paint on the old structure. If you want any genuine paganism the word we use "spiritual but not religious".

Virtual Cafe Awards

Atlain

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
You might find this text interesting

no_chill

Philosopher King
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
There isn't much that survived to these days, you got to thank the golems worshipping dead jews and foreign god concepts for that.

The oera linda book is somewhat of a biography, very disputed of course that gives a deeper glimpse into what european paganism was like.

German:

English Translation:
https://archive.org/download/oeralindabookfr00ottegoog/oeralindabookfr00ottegoog.pdf

However what survived is traditions.

Especially in Europe. Also much of it found its way, albeit washed out and impotent, into roman Catholicism in Germany and Austria. Since the people didn't accepted the new fate and they had to incorporate the old ways similar to how romans fused many deities of other cultures together and made them their own.

Also the figure in the OP pic is Algiz, a symbol from hyperborea, old one at that, and represents a man throwing the hands up, venerating the sun. A symbol not just for life but rebirth.

Other than that, some of the only few sources that could give you an idea what the original religion of the white man was like is in Julius Evola's "Revolt against the Modern World":

Virtual Cafe Awards