• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Peak cinema thread

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
This is a thread to share any of what you think of as the very best cinematic experience you can get. I would also encourage you to share any information on why and any other interesting bits that make you love.

Ill start.

Twin Peaks takes the cake for me. So much so that my idea for this thread started as just wanting to make a Twin Peaks thread just to explore whatever other people happen to think about it.
It encompasses the full spectrum of video art and then some. It has a full series continued more or less across the span of my life, a full film, a book and endless fan theories surrounding it. It also created an aesthetic all its own that drew from film noir of the past, the soap operas of the present time, and (in my opinion) was one of the original manifestations of new sincerity.

This is short, but it is one of my absolute favorite(and absolutely schizo) fan theories. Its called "12 rainbow trout".

Theres another reason I love Twin Peaks though and that is its self awareness. In much the same way that I feel i simply cannot escape "meta-ness" and irony of today this series actually manifests that in a(somewhat) relatable way. David Lynch at once creates the mystery and reveals the solution to the mystery in the film itself, no not mid season 2. The film employs actors by happenstance even to the season 3 finale in which the person that actually lives in house that Agent Coopers approaches answers the door. Such castings are consistent throughout the entire series. Even the primary antagonist was only cast as such after being accidentally caught on camera. By doing this Twin Peaks not only acknowledges that we live in a world inhabited by the ghosts of the boomers capitalist paradise but also that we are the ghosts.

I dont know if anything can ever really top this particular set of cinematic artifacts for me but I am rather interested in what everyone else has to offer in regards to what they think of as top of the line cinema.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I love Twin Peaks, but I think overly-analytical fan theories like this miss the point. Surreal or abstract art doesn't always benefit from being treated like a math equation where everything you see has to be code for something else. Sometimes a weird image or scene is just there for the aesthetic value, or to evoke a feeling that can't be put into words.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvTUFdWLo0c

I think this scene in Fire Walk With Me was aimed at all the people who got caught up in over-analyzing the original TV show. The agents are able to explain every part of Cole's/Lynch's message except for the blue rose. Desmond says he "can't talk about it," and while that could mean it's an ultra-secret code, it could also mean there just isn't any secret meaning to the blue rose. It doesn't represent anything other than itself, and is all the more important because of that fact.
The 4.5 hour-long Twin Perfect video touches on this and makes a lot of other good points about the show's criticism of easily-consumable TV violence, but the guy who made it ultimately falls into the same analytical, detail-obsessed mindset Lynch was warning against. That said, I still think it's worth watching if you're a Twin Peaks fan.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
I love Twin Peaks, but I think overly-analytical fan theories like this miss the point. Surreal or abstract art doesn't always benefit from being treated like a math equation where everything you see has to be code for something else. Sometimes a weird image or scene is just there for the aesthetic value, or to evoke a feeling that can't be put into words.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvTUFdWLo0c

I think this scene in Fire Walk With Me was aimed at all the people who got caught up in over-analyzing the original TV show. The agents are able to explain every part of Cole's/Lynch's message except for the blue rose. Desmond says he "can't talk about it," and while that could mean it's an ultra-secret code, it could also mean there just isn't any secret meaning to the blue rose. It doesn't represent anything other than itself, and is all the more important because of that fact.
The 4.5 hour-long Twin Perfect video touches on this and makes a lot of other good points about the show's criticism of easily-consumable TV violence, but the guy who made it ultimately falls into the same analytical, detail-obsessed mindset Lynch was warning against. That said, I still think it's worth watching if you're a Twin Peaks fan.

there is a fan theory like this !

this is sort of what I mean about embracing the meta/irony. Part of me honestly hates that over analyzation but part of me honestly enjoys it just to have something to ponder. I think the whole series really embraces both sides of the perspective.

Virtual Cafe Awards

TRXTR

Classified Personnel Only Past This Point
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
krowznezt.net
Peak Kino is always hard to define or feel out, given every place will have their own standards. For Agora Road, I might just list some of my most rewatched movies of all time, in no particular order:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Alien + Aliens
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Quest for Fire
The Big Lebowski
Kung Fu Hustle + Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Ghost in the Shell
Akira

I think I'll stop there, there is more floating around in my brain trying to reach the keyboard, but that's enough for now.

Why do I think these are all kino? All for different reasons, mostly because I think they are all exemplary examples of their genres.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
dasthing.jpg

deceived.jpg

I picked this up at a thrift store a while back since I'm always hunting for "so bad it's good" b-movies, but I gotta say this one surprised me, it vaguely reminded me of a budget version of The Thing. More surprising is that it's a Christian sci-fi thriller, something I never would've expected. I'm by no means religious, when I snagged it I thought that the Christian angle would be laughably executed, but luckily this movie didn't feel heavy handed. There's some religious pondering amongst the main characters but it didn't feel out of place, just felt like normal aspects of their character. Perhaps I let my judgement down since I group watched this drunk, but I did enjoy it at the time. Just don't go in expecting kino cinematography or acting.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Insect

The Underking
Reaction score
Awards
This being an "aesthetic" website, I believe Taxi Driver and Blade Runner are worth mentioning. Both are easily among my favorite movies, alongside Alien which was already mentioned above.

large_00011_m2ts_snapshot_00_13_23_2012_04_11_18_32_1.png

Blade-Runner.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
1649668772180.png

1649668788540.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This is a thread to share any of what you think of as the very best cinematic experience you can get. I would also encourage you to share any information on why and any other interesting bits that make you love.
For me, the idea of peak cinema starts at the cinema itself. It's all about the experience I get in the theater. If I had to take a crack and say what movie gave me the most out of my movie theater experience, I'd have to say Pokemon the First Movie. The whole atmosphere in the theater was on point and I've never experienced anything like it after that. THAT my friends, is peak cinema. It's not about just having a good movie, but a good movie and a great cinematic experience overall. I'd kill to go back in time and experience the Original Star Wars at the Drive In. I'm almost certain it would have captured a similar atmosphere or better. A close 2nd was watching the 2007 Transformers movie. For as lackluster as that movie is now, it really rocked the theater when it came out, and all of the cutting edge CGI they used looked mind blowing at the time. I could list 1000 better movies than these, but these are the movies that would have probably had the best overall experience within an actual movie theater. It's worth mentioning Return of The King as well.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I can say from experience watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy as it was coming out was an incredible cinematic memory I hold deeply.

I also vividly remember seeing Shrek in theaters and how I thought the CGI animation was amazing. I had to get C's or better on my report card to go see it lol

Never saw it in theaters, but concerning cinematic aesthetics of the nineties, I think A Goofy Movie has an alluring vaporwave appeal for me. I grew up watching it on VHS, which makes me connect that movie to the mid nineties and my childhood.

Virtual Cafe Awards