Photonic energy

レオタルドのフェティッシュ

Existence is but a diabolic deception
Reaction score
Awards
Website
mrwillhorlen.me
It occurred to me that we already have the viable technology for this. A single photon can already bear so much energy given the right momentum. It's going to be less expensive to maintain, more convenient and uses more abundant and easily obtainable materials. We can even infuse information to it, rendering the need for a separate telecommunication infrastructure obsolete. It will arguably also consume way less energy than electricity does and allows greater innovation.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ticbow2003

Noisy brained
Reaction score
Awards
Website
brainnoises.neocities.com
What you're really just describing is nuclear fusion, which is currently being actively worked on. Photons just contain as much energy as proportional to their momentum (as they don't have any mass). With nuclear fusion they collide two atoms, usually hydrogen, with enough force to make them combine and become a heavier element like helium. The process releases huge amounts of energy and is completely clean as there's no radiation. The major issue we're having with fusion is that we've only had one instance where we've had a successful reaction where we got more energy out than we put in. This is because perticles really don't want to fuse due to the small nuclear forces and the classic addage "Opposites attract, similarities repel".

The reason we get energy from photos is purely because of them interracting with other particles and their potentially wave based nature. Photon energy is already a thing we access on a regular basis, we just don't hear about it as it was such an old discovery. The reality of photon energy is that it is what we use to get solar power, microwaves, and xrays. This is because the energy we get from a photon is based around it's frequency and momentum which, when high enough, can affect other particles when they interract. However, this energy we get prom a photon is only as effective as that which you can get from a gamma ray, ot maybe a really high power laser.

I'm sorry if I've just spouted a tonne of stuff you already knew, I just thought it might be helpful just in case you didn't already know about fusion and the properties of light.
Also sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm doing this without my glasses cause I walked into a wall and broke them XD

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
It occurred to me that we already have the viable technology for this. A single photon can already bear so much energy given the right momentum. It's going to be less expensive to maintain, more convenient and uses more abundant and easily obtainable materials. We can even infuse information to it, rendering the need for a separate telecommunication infrastructure obsolete. It will arguably also consume way less energy than electricity does and allows greater innovation.
you're describing fibre-optic communication, which we use for internet right now. Same with radio waves, which are also photons. Very high energy photons are just as difficult to produce as very high energy anything else, you get out what you put in.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ticbow2003

Noisy brained
Reaction score
Awards
Website
brainnoises.neocities.com
you get out less than what you put in usually. Thanks to some leeching effects.
You should definitely check out the recent breakthrough which happened with a fusion test. They finally got out more than they put in!

Heres an article on the breakthrough :)
Fusion Article

Virtual Cafe Awards