Photoshop tips and aesthetic dithering effects, a short tutorial

• Thread starter RIG
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1698 times.

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I am gonna show you how I edit images along with a few other tips, maybe you can use it for making album covers or with your photography.

The image that I will be using ->
9109a1a0cc12c1e428c868404b3d76b7--apple-macintosh-the-s.jpg

the first thing I am going to do is apply a color look up layer. to do this you can go to the top of photoshop and click layer, down to new adjustment layer then finally color look up.

1632304245120.png

The upmost drop down menu will be filled with presets, you can play around with these or find other Color look up presets online.

here is what I have now
1632304393680.png

sometimes you may not like a certain color, this can be easily adjusted.
Click select from the top, and then pull up color range.
you will get a menu like this
1632304606707.png

now this you can play with, you can even unmask certain areas since it will select everything this shade of blue on the screen. I am not going to bother with it right now and I am going to select all blues.

Go to image, hue and saturation.

1632304775965.png
I picked this magenta. notice the screen changed colors too.
1632304836843.png
If you want to unmask certain areas you can use this tool. holding alt will switch between subtract and add.

1632305020295.png
I used the tool to select the screen and remove it entirely. Ctrl D to deselect.

1632305162686.png
I brought in a new layer. I am going to use CTRL T to transform it how i would like. I am also going to drag the new layer to the bottom, do make sure the adjustment layer remains the highest.

1632305881461.png
Note I fixed my selection to keep the black edges.
I toyed with the layers saturation as well.

If you never looked in the ad creatives thread some great fonts were shared there. http://planet.dk/fonts/ I have been using these lately. note that you should install these before booting up Photoshop.

1632306678966.png

Once you get your fonts how you like you will want to right click the font layer and rasterize type. this will make it a normal layer.

right click again, and at the top select blending options.
1632307006922.png
I changed my font to black and gave it a white outer glow. (it is pink due to color look up layer)
1632307098356.png
The blending option menu has lots of fun things in it just remember to keep it simple.

1632307194587.png
Now i am going to check the image size. For dithering I don't ever exceed 900 pixels. I think the default size is good as is.

View: https://youtu.be/8VRuDEfFa2Y

Here is a video that explains dithering and how to use it, also has a link to the file you need to do it.

to dither the image go to image, mode then indexed image.
1632307395586.png
you are gonna want to load the the palette from the previous video.

now you can play with different image sizes and dither amounts but 500 seems to be the sweet spot with a 90% dither for diffusion. There is also pattern diffusion. I will share both.
Diffuse
mactutdiffuse.png
mactutpattern.png

PATTERN

There are so many more things you can do with photoshop its worth piraitng

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
For anyone who doesn't have photoshop, Dither Me This has fantastic tools for dithering, with settings based on specific computer systems, colors, etc.

My preferred online alternative for photoshop right now is Photopea. Fairly robust and great if you're doing simple image alteration.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
For anyone who doesn't have photoshop, Dither Me This has fantastic tools for dithering, with settings based on specific computer systems, colors, etc.

My preferred online alternative for photoshop right now is Photopea. Fairly robust and great if you're doing simple image alteration.

monkey.png

I liket that site, I will use it in the future for sure. Especially for the commodore64 preset

Virtual Cafe Awards
Excellent tutorial, my friend. I hope I can glean some of this info for use in GIMP. It would be an excellent addition to my image-editing skillset.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

NW_Cryptid

Transcendent Coalescence
Reaction score
Awards
Are there any good image editing softwares people know of outside of stuff like GIMP, Paint.NET, or Photoshop?

Virtual Cafe Awards