Plants, Green Houses, and Solarpunk aesthetic

>__<

Where is Tiffany Dover?
Reaction score
Awards
My greenhouse starts are doing well! Still too cold for garden stuff, but I'm hoping to have cold crops planted soon :agsmile:

Attachments

• IMG_20230427_165322_01.jpg
    IMG_20230427_165322_01.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230427_165323_01.jpg
    IMG_20230427_165323_01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Finally past the last freeze at my new place so I've been spending all my free daylight time trying to get a garden started. Unfortunately rain is really slowing things down. I'm concerned my garden will fail though, as the leaves come in I realize the spots I picked are getting less sunlight than I thought. I hate to do it but I'm gonna have to clear some trees if I want to grow a decent ammount of food.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Speaking of those trees. What I've got is a few wooded acres of mostly Sugar Maple.
20221011_165100.jpg

In late Feb I tried my hand at collecting sap and making Syrup for the first time.
20230307_160434.jpg

Only tapped about 10 trees, didn't really know what was doing, and my timing was off.
Still managed to collect many gallons of sap.
20230307_160308.jpg

I boiled most of it just burning a little bit of the metric fuckton of fallen branches in the immediate vicinity of the house before taking it in to finish on the stove where I'd have more control.
20230226_172947.jpg

Sap Tea is amazing.
20230226_230251.jpg

I did two boils and ended up with 6 bottles of syrup. It turned out really really good.
That was 10 sugar maples (I have over a hundred) I started late, and I spilled some.

Next year I'm going ham. Sap storage was one problem, I got way more than I expected and didn't know what to do with it all. Already have a plan for next year: There's an Amish market nearby that sells old food grade 55 gallon drums that were used for honey.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

>__<

Where is Tiffany Dover?
Reaction score
Awards
I'm getting nice cukes so far this year! My first few potatoes came out of the ground today, and I've started to get peas. I even have an apple this year

Attachments

• 20230716_165719_HDR.jpg
    20230716_165719_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230716_165710.jpg
    20230716_165710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230716_165642.jpg
    20230716_165642.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230716_165622.jpg
    20230716_165622.jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 24
Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Perfect this year for cucumbers. So far we have gotten 10 -15, 15-20 cm cukes, usually one every 2 days or so. If you don't know, they are 100% better than store-bought, way sweeter and crunchier, and probably healthier too, since they are not doused in pesticide and herbicide. Also in the greenhouse are peppers and tomatoes, which are taking a while to grow still.
1690170230362.png
1690170324056.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

>__<

Where is Tiffany Dover?
Reaction score
Awards
I would also like to share my first healthy looking cantaloupe!
20230727_124431_HDR.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Just posted a thread that this thread will enjoy

Virtual Cafe Awards
I saw nice image, posted it before. It was "nice anarchy " building, insp. Maybe by kawloon city.
Look it up in my media
It may be related to solarpink maybe

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Forgot all about this thread, I've been growing tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, and more this year. In large containers on my driveway.
I had started many more veggies from seed and wasted a whole bunch of time and effort planting two garden beds and trimming back tree branches early this spring, just to discover (when the all the leaves finally grew in on the trees) that neither bed got nearly enough sunlight to produce anything.
Can't wait to hear back from the lumber guys who are supposed to come buy some of my trees.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
idk, but building concrete beast, then get plants there and pretend that meadow before that used be on its place is memoryholed, is stupid
dont fix what isnt broken

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Oh hey, this thread is back.

Forgot all about this thread, I've been growing tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, and more this year. In large containers on my driveway.
I had started many more veggies from seed and wasted a whole bunch of time and effort planting two garden beds and trimming back tree branches early this spring, just to discover (when the all the leaves finally grew in on the trees) that neither bed got nearly enough sunlight to produce anything.
Can't wait to hear back from the lumber guys who are supposed to come buy some of my trees.

The lumber guys finally did come and take the trees!
Sold 35 trees, mostly behind the house where we want to clear a space for gardening and kids to play.

And I have a hell of a mess to clean up!
They only take the parts they want, the long straight trunks good for boards. They leave everything else on the ground.
I'll be cutting firewood for a freakin' year.
Between that and the almost 6 month old baby, I wonder if I'll be doing much of any gardening at all this year.

But I have so many plans for the space behind my house now. It will be a lot of work, but someday I will have a huge garden, and fruit trees, and a chicken coop!

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Chuffed

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Another year for the crew up north, let's get to it! I'm turning the compost pile from last fall and will hopefully have some good additive for the raised beds soon. Everything died in the greenhouse from a week long cold snap so I'll have to start over 100% (I was enjoying small amounts of carrots and lettuce well into January which was pretty sweet).

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Oh hey, this thread is back.

The lumber guys finally did come and take the trees!
Sold 35 trees, mostly the house where we want to clear a space for gardening and kids to play.

And I have a hell of a mess to clean up!
They only take the parts they want, the long straight trunks good for boards. They leave everything else on the ground.
I'll be cutting firewood for a freakin' year.
Between that and the almost 6 month old baby, I wonder if I'll be doing much of any gardening at all this year.

But I have so many plans for the space behind my house now. It will be a lot of work, but someday I will have a huge garden, and fruit trees, and a chicken coop!
If you've got a spare corner you can save for wilding, I'd highly recommend partially burying chunks of wood mixed with leaves to encourage beetles and other burrowers. It'll be good for your garden in the long run to have a diverse bug population.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If you've got a spare corner you can save for wilding, I'd highly recommend partially burying chunks of wood mixed with leaves to encourage beetles and other burrowers. It'll be good for your garden in the long run to have a diverse bug population.
That sounds like a great idea for some downed trees I have down a really steep slope.
A little bit down there is from the loggers, but it's mostly just trees that were broken by high winds.
Getting the wood up the steep hill to the house would be a huge pain in the ass, so burying it for bugs might be the way to go!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
That sounds like a great idea for some downed trees I have down a really steep slope.
A little bit down there is from the loggers, but it's mostly just trees that were broken by high winds.
Getting the wood up the steep hill to the house would be a huge pain in the ass, so burying it for bugs might be the way to go!
Maybe also stake them into the slope to delay erosion a little longer. Vertical stakes mixed with burried horizontal stacks of wood is a good way to signal to passing creatures that there is more wood buried under the ground. What kind of trees are they?

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
That's also a good idea.

Almost all the trees here are sugar maples, a few giant beech trees by the road, some pignut hickory, and maybe a couple black walnut. And one random flowering dogwood near the house that I assume the previous owners planted.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
That's also a good idea.

Almost all the trees here are sugar maples, a few giant beech trees by the road, some pignut hickory, and maybe a couple black walnut. And one random flowering dogwood near the house that I assume the previous owners planted.
Those sound like they'd all do fine. Sappy evergreens are the ones that aren't so great for rotting down. I use some old fir as vertical stepping logs in my flower border because it just takes forever to decay due to the sap.

Virtual Cafe Awards