I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
when ale thou quaffest, call upon earth's might --
'tis earth drinks in the floods.
Earth prevails o'er drink, but fire o'er sickness,
the oak o'er binding, the earcorn o'er witchcraft,
the rye spur o'er rupture, the moon o'er rages,
herb o'er cattle plagues, runes o'er harm.
Can I get your input on what this could mean to you?

context
- Havamal
Odin's wisdom to the stray singer. Possibly a young skald??

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Can I get your input on what this could mean to you?
I love Havamal, one of my favourite wisdom texts.

here's my attempt for line-by-line:

(singer means skald/bard, but also the connotation here is magician)

(will bring good things to you if followed blindly)

(however, if you become worthy of them and truly understand then they will bring happiness to all)

(earth can soak water, but the concept of earth is the solidity and strength required to weather a clouded mind)

(fire cleans, fire destroys that which is poisonous, direct action cuts sickness free)

(oak is solid, strong, unmoved, and yet grows tall for a small seed. growth defeats binding)
(corn is sustenance, the bounty of nature, tended carefully it can bring life. hard work and natural law defeats unnatural affliction)

(rye spur is ergot, the hallucinogenic poisonous fungus. not sure about this one)
(the moon is unaffected by all earthly things, and shines on all. Although it changes, it cycles regularly. also represents insight.)

(herb is knowledge, lore, medicine. even unstoppable seeming dangers can be overcome with knowledge and understanding)
(runes are language, communication, the magic of names, the mind. All fear and pain exists within the mind, mastery of the self and the minds of others defeats all harm)

Overall, this stanza is about the natural world, and the way that all human struggles are inconsequential in the face of nature. However, understanding the Dao of nature (forgive my language here haha) can produce change and defeat any obstacle in human life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Physical embodiment of The Oasis
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I love Havamal, one of my favourite wisdom texts.

here's my attempt for line-by-line:

(singer means skald/bard, but also the connotation here is magician)

(will bring good things to you if followed blindly)

(however, if you become worthy of them and truly understand then they will bring happiness to all)

(earth can soak water, but the concept of earth is the solidity and strength required to weather a clouded mind)

(fire cleans, fire destroys that which is poisonous, direct action cuts sickness free)

(oak is solid, strong, unmoved, and yet grows tall for a small seed. growth defeats binding)
(corn is sustenance, the bounty of nature, tended carefully it can bring life. hard work and natural law defeats unnatural affliction)

(rye spur is ergot, the hallucinogenic poisonous fungus. not sure about this one)
(the moon is unaffected by all earthly things, and shines on all. Although it changes, it cycles regularly. also represents insight.)

(herb is knowledge, lore, medicine. even unstoppable seeming dangers can be overcome with knowledge and understanding)
(runes are language, communication, the magic of names, the mind. All fear and pain exists within the mind, mastery of the self and the minds of others defeats all harm)

Overall, this stanza is about the natural world, and the way that all human struggles are inconsequential in the face of nature. However, understanding the Dao of nature (forgive my language here haha) can produce change and defeat any obstacle in human life.
Thank you so much! I was having a really tough time thinking this one through. I don't know enough about the symbolism in Norse culture to grasp the poetic edda well enough. This is one of the stanzas that was really confusing to me, I really didn't think outside the box on this one.

How did you obtain such knowledge? I couldn't really find any specific sources on it unless jackson crawford has a video on it somewhere :agnoedge:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you so much! I was having a really tough time thinking this one through. I don't know enough about the symbolism in Norse culture to grasp the poetic edda well enough. This is one of the stanzas that was really confusing to me, I really didn't think outside the box on this one.

How did you obtain such knowledge? I couldn't really find any specific sources on it unless jackson crawford has a video on it somewhere :agnoedge:
Glad to help. I've been studying esoteric and exoteric symbolism in various cultures for a while now, including Norse and other western-european such as Celtic. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to cite any sources, but reading folk tales and myths, esoteric literature, etc is a good way to start.

If you want a more personal (inside) take on Norse pagan culture, there is one youtube channel I can recommend. He's an academic, but also a pagan himself which gives his takes a very different feel to Dr Crawford's.

View: https://youtu.be/G_X8goiHe5c

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards