Possible Utopia or the Perfect Dystopia? Ideas about the near and distant future.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2040
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4057 times.

Deleted member 2040

Interested to hear any and all ideas of what you might speculate the near and not so near future might entail for us? Feel free to be as detailed or bizarre as possible!

One possibility I believe could be possible is the marriage between nature and technology:
Solarpunk.jpg

Another future could mean the total denial of nature and unchallenged supremacy of technology with all the sociopolitical problems that come from it, and could look like this:
Trash Heaps.jpg

What do you think?

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
社会はこれまで通り継続していきます。完璧と不完全の間の不協和音のバランス、問題と完璧の間、公正と腐敗の間。社会は何世紀にもわたってそのようになってきたので、私はそれがすぐに変わるとは思えません。

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

社会はこれまで通り継続していきます。完璧と不完全の間の不協和音のバランス、問題と完璧の間、公正と腐敗の間。社会は何世紀にもわたってそのようになってきたので、私はそれがすぐに変わるとは思えません。
Without mentioning my line of work, the issue with development comes to parsing out natural resources 'equally' (whatever that really means) and trying to make certain that there will be enough clean water to drink, and for farmers to use for their own livelihood. For instance take a look at the Himalayas, the sources of the five major rivers of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, and which country owns the most upstream of the dams? Not the ones I mentioned. How are their relationship with one another? Not too good. Cutting off water to an 'enemy' country becomes a big stick in diplomacy and an instrument of power.

If we do not conserve water, and let the greedy lap it all up for themselves, society won't be so stable no matter what technology you have, or apps that try and distract from your (not actually you, but in the plural sense) body crying for out for clean water. When there is hardly any food and clean water, who do the people go to? Not corporations, no, they are nowhere to be found when this happens. And what happens when people take to the streets against their already burdened and corrupt government? We will continue seeing this trend ALL around the world.

I can go on and on and on about why our current practices are far from sustainable and even if we transition, we are all in for some turbulent times.

I like to fantasize about a utopian future where our descendants forgive the disgusting greed and short-sightedness of us, and find out ways to live without having to fight droves of hungry people and vultures and pigeons for scraps of bad bread or mushy cheetoes.

Happy days ahead!

Deleted member 2040

Just reread what I posted, and once again, sorry for the whirlwind reply! Please don't take anything I say personally. Blabbermouth takes over me every once in a while....

The year is 2047. Practically all consumer products and even rent inside of US coastal cities is redeemed exclusively by non-fungible tokens (NFTs). All NFTs are issued and controlled by the same names every consumer has grown to love over the last century: Apple, Amazon, Google, and the newly-formed Microsoft-Facebook. All political voting transitioned to the popular vote, favoring the so-called "coastal elites" and effectively nullifying the voice of "fly-over states" following a controversial string of events kicked off 25-years prior by former President, now Microsoft-Facebook CEO, Kamala Harris. Conservatives cried "fascism!" on Facebook until anyone meeting vague criteria had their NFTs removed from the blackchain, permanently freezing their technological development. The US still operates under the guise of "freedom," and a common argument still heard today goes something like, "you have freedom of speech, just not on our platform," and the since-repurposed "Capitalism for thee, not for me!" that previously pitted "big banks" against the people now pits "coastal elites" against the comparably hedonistic "flyovers," still forced to use the forever-inflating USD. Some say there are still "flyovers" alive today that aren't chipped and believe in a common conspiracy that involves the so-called existence of a country named "China." Legislation is in the works to get this addressed and fully corrected by 2050.

On a brighter note, after HKE's string of "30 albums in 12 months" began in 2021, his notoriety exploded in similar fashion to the 2022-2023 ETH to USD chart, not that USD matters much these days. He has consistently released 3 to 4 albums a month to much fanfare, but not without controversy; at least once a year, a scandal breaks that HKE may have actually used a slowed-down 1990s sample, a technique he swore off many decades ago. Not all is well in "dream land," however; after a wave of poor business and financial advice from hucksters, Shima33, a co-owner of the legendary Dream Catalogue record label, landed broke and homeless before "overdosing on raving [sic]" and beginning his stay in an undisclosed asylum. Photos of his face digitally edited onto the vintage "Arkham Asylum" game cover for an extinct GameStation model make the rounds on the various "deep web" image boards.

In 2033, to celebrate "t w e n t y y e a r s o f t e l e p a t h," t e l e p a t h released a song totaling 175,000 hours, or approximately 20 full years in length. That same year, an avid fan spent his 2 bitcoins on enough NFTs to support himself for a lifetime dedicated the remainder of his life to listening to t e l e p a t h's 20-year song, unfortunately falling significantly short after he passed away peacefully in his sleep earlier this year. The lore on the various vapor-inspired message boards is that the song "affected his brainwaves or smth [sic]." It is still unknown exactly how far this fan got into the song; it had been delivered on several pallets full of the long-defunct "60-minute MiniDiscs," though police have repeatedly told the press that every "MD" at the scene was still sealed, and that the fan did not appear to own a MiniDisc player.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I can only imagine things getting worse. loss of morals and humanity, everything is censored, pollution getting to an unsafe level, constant probability of death. normal dystopian type shit
Perhaps much like a behavioral sink...

Deleted member 2040

Much like a behavioral sink?
There's no such thing as a utopia.

But the world as a whole is constantly getting better. Despite what the media tries to tell you.

https://www.humanprogress.org/five-graphs-that-will-change-your-mind-about-poverty/

Is it gonna be perfect? Never. But I'm optimistic things can continue to improve.
You have a point with that. Deep down I truly hope all the technological innovations go to benefit the many and not the few, but things are changing and I am eager to see what's to come.

Deleted member 2040

The year is 2047. Practically all consumer products and even rent inside of US coastal cities is redeemed exclusively by non-fungible tokens (NFTs). All NFTs are issued and controlled by the same names every consumer has grown to love over the last century: Apple, Amazon, Google, and the newly-formed Microsoft-Facebook. All political voting transitioned to the popular vote, favoring the so-called "coastal elites" and effectively nullifying the voice of "fly-over states" following a controversial string of events kicked off 25-years prior by former President, now Microsoft-Facebook CEO, Kamala Harris. Conservatives cried "fascism!" on Facebook until anyone meeting vague criteria had their NFTs removed from the blackchain, permanently freezing their technological development. The US still operates under the guise of "freedom," and a common argument still heard today goes something like, "you have freedom of speech, just not on our platform," and the since-repurposed "Capitalism for thee, not for me!" that previously pitted "big banks" against the people now pits "coastal elites" against the comparably hedonistic "flyovers," still forced to use the forever-inflating USD. Some say there are still "flyovers" alive today that aren't chipped and believe in a common conspiracy that involves the so-called existence of a country named "China." Legislation is in the works to get this addressed and fully corrected by 2050.

On a brighter note, after HKE's string of "30 albums in 12 months" began in 2021, his notoriety exploded in similar fashion to the 2022-2023 ETH to USD chart, not that USD matters much these days. He has consistently released 3 to 4 albums a month to much fanfare, but not without controversy; at least once a year, a scandal breaks that HKE may have actually used a slowed-down 1990s sample, a technique he swore off many decades ago. Not all is well in "dream land," however; after a wave of poor business and financial advice from hucksters, Shima33, a co-owner of the legendary Dream Catalogue record label, landed broke and homeless before "overdosing on raving [sic]" and beginning his stay in an undisclosed asylum. Photos of his face digitally edited onto the vintage "Arkham Asylum" game cover for an extinct GameStation model make the rounds on the various "deep web" image boards.

In 2033, to celebrate "t w e n t y y e a r s o f t e l e p a t h," t e l e p a t h released a song totaling 175,000 hours, or approximately 20 full years in length. That same year, an avid fan spent his 2 bitcoins on enough NFTs to support himself for a lifetime dedicated the remainder of his life to listening to t e l e p a t h's 20-year song, unfortunately falling significantly short after he passed away peacefully in his sleep earlier this year. The lore on the various vapor-inspired message boards is that the song "affected his brainwaves or smth [sic]." It is still unknown exactly how far this fan got into the song; it had been delivered on several pallets full of the long-defunct "60-minute MiniDiscs," though police have repeatedly told the press that every "MD" at the scene was still sealed, and that the fan did not appear to own a MiniDisc player.
Oh god, the first part genuinely unnerved me because that is DEFININITELY what the future could resemble, seriously. You have my applause for the future politics too...

As for the second two scenarios, you owe me a coffee because mine nearly landed all over the place out of sheer laughter!! 175,000 hours, and the guy fell asleep
Showtime Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Bullshit_Boy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

This was dope, enjoyed every second of it., thanks for sharing! Sounds like the plot line to the book "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, where movies by a certain director become so addictive that people just want to sit down and watch it until they die. Its written in insane prose, very fragmented and chaotic with weird 50 page tangents on random things.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FlangerFobia

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
In all the possible routes, a solar punk future would be the best possible outcome, but... we arent getting that. Sorry. To be honest, I think everything is gonna be a slow decline. I think worst of all, though, is that the world is just gonna become more gray. Nothing that sets apart the people in a nation from another. I think a sort of cultural homogeniety is already in place.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

This was dope, enjoyed every second of it., thanks for sharing! Sounds like the plot line to the book "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, where movies by a certain director become so addictive that people just want to sit down and watch it until they die. Its written in insane prose, very fragmented and chaotic with weird 50 page tangents on random things.
I LOVE Infinite Jest! It's in my top 10 of fiction. That book is a colossal, gargantuan genre bending constellation of DFW's brilliant ideas, and actually kinda vaporwave too. There's so much in that book, too much. Only after reading Pynchon did I realize how much DFW borrowed from him, but it was done marvelously.

Deleted member 2040

In all the possible routes, a solar punk future would be the best possible outcome, but... we arent getting that. Sorry. To be honest, I think everything is gonna be a slow decline. I think worst of all, though, is that the world is just gonna become more gray. Nothing that sets apart the people in a nation from another. I think a sort of cultural homogeniety is already in place.
When you say the world is getting more gray, it figuratively is! There's some discussion in climate circles of artificially inducing more clouds in the air to slow down the warming. And you are right on globalization and the sort of capitalistic homogeneity infecting more and more of the world.

I also have much more to say on the slow spinning death humans are going to face as a whole species...

FlangerFobia

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When you say the world is getting more gray, it figuratively is! There's some discussion in climate circles of artificially inducing more clouds in the air to slow down the warming. And you are right on globalization and the sort of capitalistic homogeneity infecting more and more of the world.

I also have much more to say on the slow spinning death humans are going to face as a whole species...
Yeah, thats more or less what i mean. I suppose its a product of our times, in regards to capitalism, the internet, and high speed communication and information. I do not think these are necesarilly bad per say, rather they are tools. And tools can be used correctly or incorrectly. I do think things will have to get better for everyone in the long run, but i think in the current age, people are gonna have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Yeah, thats more or less what i mean. I suppose its a product of our times, in regards to capitalism, the internet, and high speed communication and information. I do not think these are necesarilly bad per say, rather they are tools. And tools can be used correctly or incorrectly. I do think things will have to get better for everyone in the long run, but i think in the current age, people are gonna have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable
You have a point. With the advent of the internet, an entirely new class of power has emerged, the technocracy, based in Silicon Valley, which I believe will tilt the axis of traditional power how? i cannot be certain.

In my experience, where we are with technology, especially after this humiliating hack by the Russians, technology will pose more problems than it will solve, and who else but the technocracy can solve these increasingly complicated matters? Think about cybersercurity involving increasingly complicated issues regarding AI and cryptocurrency for instance.

ILIVEFOREVER

Bigwig Schizo
Reaction score
Awards
I expect us to get so low that we have no choice but to bounce back. We will make it. It just won't be easy. I still see grounds for optimism
That's just like the saying "Hard Times Create Strong Men, Strong Men Create Good Times, Good Times Create Weak Men, Weak Men Create Hard Times" which I also agree with.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I expect us to get so low that we have no choice but to bounce back. We will make it. It just won't be easy. I still see grounds for optimism
Or we'll be low enough for the worms and burrowing animals to make homes of our bellies while we live sniffing for signs of clean water...

Deleted member 2040

That's just like the saying "Hard Times Create Strong Men, Strong Men Create Good Times, Good Times Create Weak Men, Weak Men Create Hard Times" which I also agree with.
True, only if we choose to learn from our elders!