Post favorite/obscure TV shows available on Youtube

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
With teh Googs about to delete old Youtube accounts, I thought I'd ask you guys for fun stuff to archive before the merciless hand of Silicon Valley nukes them!

I've found such gems on Youtube like:
The Witches & The Grinnygog - 1983 British occult children's serial that aired on NIck. Most of the rest of The Third Eye Nick programming block is on YT if you search the names.
The Singing Kettle - VHS/DVDs of a Scottish children's music group with Scots children's classics like "Ye canny shove yer grannie aff a bus"
Yan Can Cook - Comedic 80s cooking show where the host speaks beautiful Engrish.
3-2-1 Contact - Painfully 80s educational show. Unfortunately not all of it is on YT. :REEEEE:
Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat - This 2001 PBS Kids show started me on the rabbithole of finding stuff on YT. I loved it as a kid but it's probably CCP propaganda.

A lot of these shows aren't otherwise available on the internet, which makes it cool they're on YT (for now).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The New Yankee Workshop - originally a spin-off of This Old House that was produced by WGBH (Boston area PBS affiliate). Apparently the agreement between the producers of this show and PBS ended recently, and instead of being money grubbing about it they're uploading them to YouTube to make them publicly available. They're even AI-upscaling some of the more popular ones! Norm is the man.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
oh fuck I just realized youtube was how I watched Hornblower.

aaaaaand as I'm writing this I find out that it's unavailable, at least in the US. could still be downloadable though, gotta check (although it'll take 10 fricken years since each episode is an hour and 40 mins long)

Virtual Cafe Awards

wonderfullife

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Jeopardy (no, not the game show) is an early 2000s kids paranormal series about Scottish kids going to Australia on a UFO hunting trip. There's 3 seasons, all on yt currently.
jeopardy.jpg

It's pretty corny, and full of bad acting but I loved it when I was younger. Recently rewatched it and enjoyed it, but have to assume it's primarily nostalgia.

Virtual Cafe Awards
You're under arrest, though not exactly obscure, is all on youtube.
but if you are still "happy" to be able to find some 2007 beheadings videos, that is still obscure nontheless
title says, favourite/obscure too, then

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The New Yankee Workshop - originally a spin-off of This Old House that was produced by WGBH (Boston area PBS affiliate). Apparently the agreement between the producers of this show and PBS ended recently, and instead of being money grubbing about it they're uploading them to YouTube to make them publicly available. They're even AI-upscaling some of the more popular ones! Norm is the man.
This is pretty relaxing. Will be watching more.

Though I find it ridiculous that PBS shows aren't this available in general. There's no streaming service for them, nor DVD releases. I guess there's no financial incentive to release PBS shows online...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Probably not exactly obscure, but 'What's My Line?' has a ton of episodes up.
There's other channels with similar shows you can find from that era. At a glance, there are some listed in the linked channel's 'channels' section.

Some interesting stuff with that show, too. It had people like a young Ronald Reagan on, as well as the daughter of one of the Roosevelts, and any number of regular people from across the country, which gives an interesting look at the people of the era, however brief a look it is.

Also Dorothy Kilgallen, one of the panelists, sounds like she got dead'd for looking into a certain 1960s-era death of a certain prominent political figure who totally didn't get dead'd by certain government organizations.

"TheMoreYouKnow!"

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I wanted to link Club MST3k, a master list of Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes uploaded to YouTube, but unfortunately it was taken down earlier this year. All the links still work and the episodes are still freely available elsewhere, but it's not the same.
The Prisoner is available on YouTube for free with ads (or without ads if you have an adblocker.)
Mosfilm's official channel has many Russian movies available for free with subtitles and in great quality, including Stalker, Solaris, Come and See, and Bondarchuk's War and Peace.
f5f7c948a68fdfa350f9f1c00042ecfb.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
With teh Googs about to delete old Youtube accounts, I thought I'd ask you guys for fun stuff to archive before the merciless hand of Silicon Valley nukes them!

I've found such gems on Youtube like:
The Witches & The Grinnygog - 1983 British occult children's serial that aired on NIck. Most of the rest of The Third Eye Nick programming block is on YT if you search the names.
The Singing Kettle - VHS/DVDs of a Scottish children's music group with Scots children's classics like "Ye canny shove yer grannie aff a bus"
Yan Can Cook - Comedic 80s cooking show where the host speaks beautiful Engrish.
3-2-1 Contact - Painfully 80s educational show. Unfortunately not all of it is on YT. :REEEEE:
Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat - This 2001 PBS Kids show started me on the rabbithole of finding stuff on YT. I loved it as a kid but it's probably CCP propaganda.

A lot of these shows aren't otherwise available on the internet, which makes it cool they're on YT (for now).

Definitely not obscure, but I recently found VH1's I Love the 90s series on YT. Pretty sure it isn't available anywhere else. Worth a watch. Reminiscent of a time when pop culture wasn't so polarizing and comedians could comedy.

VaporwaveHistorian

The Archbishop of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus
Reaction score
Awards
Website
archbishopkarolos.blogspot.com

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd3rPjJD7v8&list=PL6GmRtgbox8TKqKVFm4MB4qo-d63_w9Rc
All the episodes.

I, Claudius. Absolutely wonderful historical drama. Acting is insane. Even the tiniest gestures are captured on camera, very long shots, absolute drama. Legendary.

I shall upload some screenshots I have taken (many for drawing references so they don't have some of the best moments, but oh well).
Sejanus (his advisor) manipulating Emperor Tiberius:
Screenshot 2023-12-11 002524.png

Claudius being shocked as fuck because his mother (who always says "You're a fool, Claudius") and his arranged-marriage convenience wife suddenly display love for him
Screenshot 2023-12-17 183329.png

Sejanus getting arrested with the soldier cheekily smiling at the back, "good riddance bitch" style.
Screenshot 2023-12-17 185256.png

Claudius being the Emperor Caligula appointed brothel doorkeeper. He hates every second of it. Right before this is a scene of him saying "I will NEVER aid him like that!". Right after is him getting into a brothel fight with an especially mad guy.
Screenshot 2023-12-17 230200.png

Claudius falling in love
Screenshot 2023-12-18 001933.png

Claudius forcibly being crowned by the Praetorian Guards despite his protests. German Guards (especially loyal emperor guards) come in and get surprised. Praetorian Guard looks at the german lad and says "KAISER! EMPEROR!", pointing at Claudius, happily letting them know that they've just crowned a guy. Claudius does not want that.
Screenshot 2023-12-18 003433.png

Claudius' wife manipulating him. Goddamnit.
Screenshot 2023-12-20 215952.png

Screenshot 2023-12-20 220002.png

Background: his advisors trying to convince him to marry again. Foreground: very tired Claudius.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 171736.png

Nero and his mother Agrippina Minor (Claudius' last wife) reading especially foul marks about Agrippina Minor. Nero is enjoying that until he sees some about himself too.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 173109.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

containercore

The Y2K bug was real, civilization ended in 1999
Reaction score
Awards
Website
brainiacplaza.net
I Claudius is pure kino. I saw a video recently about all the inventive camera choreography the series had recently. It's really impressive stuff. Something of a lost art it seems, but there's no reason it should be.

View: https://youtu.be/roI56_c_E6o

Virtual Cafe Awards