Post your favorite weeb shit

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
I know its a classic, but tbh I know nil about it. Go on bro, I know you want to talk about it and I'll gladly lend you my ear.
This is actually one of those topics where unleashing my full power level would lead to rabbit holes within rabbit holes lmao. In fact, it's very similar to Lain in the regard that no matter how many times you rewatch it you'll discover new things about it. It's also a really weird blend of pretty straight forward on the surface level plot, but completely abstract and cryptic on every other front (or just down right comical sometimes).

So to keep it somewhat contained, I'll just say that the first time I watched Utena it triggered an obsession where for the next 6 months of my life the only thing I watched, was rewatching Utena (nothing else had ever, nor since, triggered autism in me as strongly). The symbolism is really weird, but just consistent enough where you know there are deeper meanings to things, but at the same time the show's creator is a known troll and he throws plenty of red herrings.

An anon on /lit/ tipped me off to esoteric/occult symbolism being a key that can help understand the show. Something I was initially skeptical of, but after doing some research into, I can say that the creator (Ikuhara) at least had surface level awareness of western esoterism, as he playfully references esoteric symbols constantly. Usually in the lyrics of the various songs that get used in the battle sequences and in the ending themes.

I think I'll leave it there. But to give a brief example of both what I'm talking about and Ikuhara's interesting sense of humor. In the second Ending theme of Utena, among the several occult allusions he makes, one of them is the "Embryo of Philosophy". Gibberish on the surface, unless you realize that the Egg of Philosophy is an Alchemical term referring to the first matter of the Philosopher's Stone. It's the kind of thing that seems like complete nonsense unless you know precisely where to look. Because it's not even a direct reference to the Philosopher's Egg, but rather a playful connection. In the same song, he mentions "a single perpetual motion machine". Perpetual motion is understood as a metaphor for eternity (since the very notion of perpetual motion is contradicted by the first and second laws of thermodynamics). And the philosopher's stone (which the embryo of philosophy is playfully alluding to), is a tool which alchemically can help achieve the goal of immortality (aka perpetual motion).

Anyway, that's just me analyzing the lyrics of one song in Utena, there are many more. So I'll spare you, but hopefully that communicated the idea the Utena is a series rich in playful references.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
This is actually one of those topics where unleashing my full power level would lead to rabbit holes within rabbit holes lmao. In fact, it's very similar to Lain in the regard that no matter how many times you rewatch it you'll discover new things about it. It's also a really weird blend of pretty straight forward on the surface level plot, but completely abstract and cryptic on every other front (or just down right comical sometimes).

So to keep it somewhat contained, I'll just say that the first time I watched Utena it triggered an obsession where for the next 6 months of my life the only thing I watched, was rewatching Utena (nothing else had ever, nor since, triggered autism in me as strongly). The symbolism is really weird, but just consistent enough where you know there are deeper meanings to things, but at the same time the show's creator is a known troll and he throws plenty of red herrings.

An anon on /lit/ tipped me off to esoteric/occult symbolism being a key that can help understand the show. Something I was initially skeptical of, but after doing some research into, I can say that the creator (Ikuhara) at least had surface level awareness of western esoterism, as he playfully references esoteric symbols constantly. Usually in the lyrics of the various songs that get used in the battle sequences and in the ending themes.

I think I'll leave it there. But to give a brief example of both what I'm talking about and Ikuhara's interesting sense of humor. In the second Ending theme of Utena, among the several occult allusions he makes, one of them is the "Embryo of Philosophy". Gibberish on the surface, unless you realize that the Egg of Philosophy is an Alchemical term referring to the first matter of the Philosopher's Stone. It's the kind of thing that seems like complete nonsense unless you know precisely where to look. Because it's not even a direct reference to the Philosopher's Egg, but rather a playful connection. In the same song, he mentions "a single perpetual motion machine". Perpetual motion is understood as a metaphor for eternity (since the very notion of perpetual motion is contradicted by the first and second laws of thermodynamics). And the philosopher's stone (which the embryo of philosophy is playfully alluding to), is a tool which alchemically can help achieve the goal of immortality (aka perpetual motion).

Anyway, that's just me analyzing the lyrics of one song in Utena, there are many more. So I'll spare you, but hopefully that communicated the idea the Utena is a series rich in playful references.
Sounds ridiculously big brain. I thought it was just an anime about magical lesbians.

Also, very timely achievement:
Achievo.JPG

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
We all said the same thing about Edward, Fei, Tereshi, Jurota and Naiden.
Ratbro's, we're in for a depressing ride
>Rat becomes dragon
>Dies because too strong
>Mfw sandwich does it again

1649956436983.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

butt3rfly_s0up

away with the fairies
Reaction score
Awards
Call me basic or whatever but an anime that never fails to make me laugh is the disastrous life of saiki k and (shamefully) watamote. They are both absolutely hilarious and will have me rolling on the floor laughing. Its stupid i know but let's be honest its extremely hard to find a 'comedy' anime without it also being some slice of life harem bullshit. Having sixteen year old anime girls tits shoved in my face every second isn't very funny and often times these anime's have no plot or substance or even try to be funny. They are just for fanservice and it's annoying because it means it's almost impossible to find a comedy anime that's actually worth watching and funny.

*Posssible to find a comedy anime that's actually worth watching and funny.*

Happy tree friends? Like that? Not anime, but got some happenings. Or salad fingers. ...

Virtual Cafe Awards

urgentmeow

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Btw, now that I remember, watching the Konosuba movie in cinema with friends is a highlight for me. The comedy, the reactions of the crowd, the energy. I left giddy, red at the cheeks, and laugh drunk with my buds. I experienced the definition of kino.
That's wild, my experience seeing the Konosuba movie in theaters was just like this. The feeling of closeness in the theater as we shared all the moments of fun, sleaze and amazement was something I'm not sure I've experienced elsewhere. It was truly special. I rewatched the movie later and while I still enjoyed it, I realized just how much seeing it in a theater had added.

Virtual Cafe Awards

urgentmeow

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
romantic-sounding songs x anime - best combo

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
That's wild, my experience seeing the Konosuba movie in theaters was just like this. The feeling of closeness in the theater as we shared all the moments of fun, sleaze and amazement was something I'm not sure I've experienced elsewhere. It was truly special. I rewatched the movie later and while I still enjoyed it, I realized just how much seeing it in a theater had added.
Same here. I've seen a lot of anime movies in theatres, but never has the atmosphere been so fun and full of comradre as when I went with some friends and the wife to see Konosuba.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fig

Aimless Wanderer
Reaction score
Awards
As a weeb myself, this is a hard question, because there are so many weeb shit i've consumed that is almost as hard as choosing my favorite song, but here are some weeb things i've enjoyed recently

Valkyria chronicles is a really underrated game, this masterpiece is one of my favorite sony exclusives and one of my favorite strategy games ever.
View attachment 26075
View attachment 26076
View attachment 26078
View attachment 26079
View attachment 26083

View attachment 26082
And i'm thinking on playing Evenicle, because it actually seems kinda nice.
View attachment 26098
I love this song, it made me recently love Seiga (in a kinda ironical way because of how cursed the character is, like, only Zun is the only one able to make a necrophilic character cute.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtTYQuO1j6w

I also became addicted to persona 4 OST (playing it rn on my ps vita, golden edition on the ps vita is the best one tho)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSIyBGsdGY

View attachment 26089
Some other songs i've enjoyed this week.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnIhRpIT7nc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loaZ9t96J7w

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxIXxrdafbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nw2410rcvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlAeEcVnnvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywHcFRfoH9k

I've also been seeing Speed Racer (for shits and gigles), Baki and Devilman Crybaby on netflix, those animes are top notch really, i love the aesthetics of devilman tho.
View attachment 26095
View attachment 26084
I also thinking of watching Demon Slayer because it is quite popular in my college and us gen z zoomers, and it would be cool to have something the average normie could relate.
View attachment 26096
I also started to read my favorite's anime manga, Akira, and oh boy, it is something, it is as good as the movie.
View attachment 26086

Also, i have a weeb take: Kenan and Kel is an anime, and you can't change my mind
View attachment 26094
And a random recommendation, you should watch bubblegum crisis
View attachment 26097

woah based atrophysics enjoyer???

Virtual Cafe Awards