What's new

PPlease SShare Yourr Trrusted PPortable Cassette Brandds

ChronosTheMad.mxtps

Well-Known Traveler
Awards
What Brands of Walkmans are the good ones out there right now? I dont mean which ones were good, but which ones are currently trustworthy and free of noise and play on tempo?
I find in my search for a quality Portable player that every brand seems to be a risk according to its de facto preformance.
walkman GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Virtual Cafe Awards

crendulus

blep
Awards
In terms of portables:

As it always it depends on what you're willing to spend, and how much tlc you're willing to put into a vintage machine. Stuff you can find on Amazon will not fit the bill for high quality although if you are into mods/experiments then they are worth a try. Cheap and they sound like it.

Anything consumer grade made in the 90's or early 2000's would work if in good enough shape (although you still may need to replace the rubber band drive pulleys as those tend to go with any amount of good use.) Think of brands that you would have seen at a hifi store like Sony, JVC, or Panasonic. Look for ones that have a good feature set as I've found audio quality tends to follow: forward and reverse, automatic direction switching, Dolby NR, etc. The good news is that you can normally find these goodwills and the like, or even NIB on eBay.

Finally you could also go "high end" by getting a now vintage player like the Sony Walkman Pro. These are great when working (watch out for "parts only" unless you like repairs) with great sound and excellent recording features as well. Of course, they often go for a few hundred or more on ebay.

EDIT: Once or twice a year I curse myself because my dad gave me his Walkman Pro when I was in high school (which I used to record a podcast lol) and then, because I didn't know my future self would develop a cassette fetish, I lost it when I went to college. Perfect working order too :(

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

crendulus

blep
Awards
To answer your question concretely: None of the modern/new portables I've gotten off Amazon have been noise free or had consistent playback speed. But I must say that the quality is getting better probably because of an increase in popularity again. I guess it depends on what your tolerance for noise is. None of them have Dolby NR as far as I've seen but even worse most have some pretty bad buzzing from lack of filtering/shielding.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rikstah

Well-Known Traveler
Awards
In terms of portables:

As it always it depends on what you're willing to spend, and how much tlc you're willing to put into a vintage machine. Stuff you can find on Amazon will not fit the bill for high quality although if you are into mods/experiments then they are worth a try. Cheap and they sound like it.

Anything consumer grade made in the 90's or early 2000's would work if in good enough shape (although you still may need to replace the rubber band drive pulleys as those tend to go with any amount of good use.) Think of brands that you would have seen at a hifi store like Sony, JVC, or Panasonic. Look for ones that have a good feature set as I've found audio quality tends to follow: forward and reverse, automatic direction switching, Dolby NR, etc. The good news is that you can normally find these goodwills and the like, or even NIB on eBay.

Finally you could also go "high end" by getting a now vintage player like the Sony Walkman Pro. These are great when working (watch out for "parts only" unless you like repairs) with great sound and excellent recording features as well. Of course, they often go for a few hundred or more on ebay.

EDIT: Once or twice a year I curse myself because my dad gave me his Walkman Pro when I was in high school (which I used to record a podcast lol) and then, because I didn't know my future self would develop a cassette fetish, I lost it when I went to college. Perfect working order too :(
wait wait wait i have to re-confirm this.

You used to do a podcast in the tape deck era? How was this podcast distributed??

Virtual Cafe Awards

crendulus

blep
Awards
@Rikstah It was pretty silly really. We lived in a rural area so we drove around a lot, and sometimes I would take Walkman and its field mic and record us talking about stuff like music, politics, or gossip. Then occasionally I would say, "Now here's Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine" (or something else I listened to obsessively then) and I would stop the tape, plug my MP3 player into the line in and record the song. When I got home I would make copies of the cassette and then give them to my friends with like "EP. 2" written in sharpie on it. Basically all of our cars still had cassette decks and also we were voracious thrift store shoppers so we all had old hifi sets too.

EDIT: I'm not *that* old, this was in the aughts already. We were just trying to be funny by using cassettes and I also read about cassette swapping as a way of sharing things so I thought that was cool.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Macintosh Cafe.FM
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Franz: music loud sad