Pre-2000's Anime General

Exactly as the title says, discuss any anime from before the 2000's here. Movies, OVA's and anime series all are welcome! We'll even tolerate very early 2000's as well.

Some general questions I'm curious about:

1) What are your favorite anime from this period?
2) What is the most obscure anime in this timeframe that you love?

And last but not least, CEL animation > CGI anime, the one fact of life.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

YungFiji

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Ninja Scroll are some of the best pieces of media ever made in my opinion. The colors and animation style were god tier. Any 90's shounen is honestly goated.

Virtual Cafe Awards
To answer my own questions:

1) My favorite 90's titles are in no particular order: Serial Experiments Lain, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Evangelion, Berserk '97, Golden Boy, LOGH, and Great Teacher Onizuka. I'll leave movies out as well as shows that I like but don't love so this list doesn't get too long lol

2) Shamanic Princess is one of the most underrated OVA's I've watched. It's art style oozes with 90's Shoujo goodness, the soundtrack is great, and it tells an interesting story yet unconventional story while still remaining distinctly Shoujo. I also like it's use of symbolism. Additionally I also really like Legendary Gambler Tetsuya (although it's technically from 2000). It's one of the few anime I've watched that uses a didgeridoo in its soundtrack. It's all about gambling, and in particular about out cheating your opponents.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

tofuDWU

Nomad
Reaction score
Awards
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Great Teacher Onizuka. Also Akira but that's more of a movie. I grew up on Ghibli (being born and raised in Asia this is usually the norm). To answer the second question, I'm not really sure to be honest, unless GTO is pretty obscure then I'm not so sure if I have any favourite obscure anime in particular.

If we're talking early 2000s I absolutely love Initial D (yes, IK it's a 90s anime but it only really got good in the later seasons), Samurai Champloo, and Afro Samurai

2ce3ee1a94d0f16d3c8c3a66fa6cc071.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone seen the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes? It's suppose to be a masterpiece in terms of anime storytelling but just curious if it's worth putting in the time watching it as it is quite long.
9dde40497cdd63b88ee08d370627702498b1d290_hq.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kaputski

Travelling without moving
Reaction score
Awards
1) I watched every Initial D episodes while i was passing my driver's license a couple of years ago, this shit is top tier.

2) Also Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust (if you're into vampires) is in my opinion a really underestimated gem. Great aesthetic overall.

Vampire_Hunter_D_Bloodlust-572570012-large.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Anyone seen the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes? It's suppose to be a masterpiece in terms of anime storytelling but just curious if it's worth putting in the time watching it as it is quite long.
It's quite worth it, and it deserves it's stellar reputation. However, it's a dense show. A lot happens. There are loads of characters, and virtually every topic gets discussed; from political theory to man's bestfriend (alcohol).

It isn't just the series as a whole that's crammed with a lot happening, each individual episode is dense with content. Speaking as someone who enjoys marathoning shows, you just can't watch LOGH that way. I would recommend a pace of 1 - 3 episodes per day. It's a slow burn, but one that rewards you immensely if you can practice some patience.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
It's quite worth it, and it deserves it's stellar reputation. However, it's a dense show. A lot happens. There are loads of characters, and virtually every topic gets discussed; from political theory to man's bestfriend (alcohol).

It isn't just the series as a whole that's crammed with a lot happening, each individual episode is dense with content. Speaking as someone who enjoys marathoning shows, you just can't watch LOGH that way. I would recommend a pace of 1 - 3 episodes per day. It's a slow burn, but one that rewards you immensely if you can practice some patience.
Ah thank you, glad that someone on this forum has seen it, it seems quite obscure these days.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I think there seems to be some misunderstanding about cel animation here. CGI has not replaced cel animation, cel animation is a technique and CGI is a tool. Modern anime artists use a digital cel animation process. It's essentially identical to cel animation, except we use computers to generate keyframes which are then mildly adjusted or redrawn every frame, instead of using 100+ pieces of celluloid sheets.

CGI is generally a garbage way of animating, because it is cheaper to do than have artists hand draw everything on a tablet or computer, so low budget studios think they can get away with cost saving. CGI is a very powerful tool when used correctly, though. For instance, look at Demon Slayer: It is regarded as one of the most beautifully animated anime to date, primarily because of the action scenes involving the breath techniques. Fun fact: Those are CGI scenes. They use a technique where they generate CGI forms and animate them with digital cel techniques to create the fluidity CGI provides with the beautiful, immersive look of 2D animation. The thing is, when CGI is done well, you don't notice.
What I think we lack is the dedication and effort that artists of the hand cel animated generation had.

But anyways, enough of my ranting.

Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star, Slayers, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dirty Pair, Wicked City, Magical Princess Minky Momo, Ranma 1/2, Battle Angel, Ghost in the Shell, .Hack// (I know, 2002, but comeone, it might as well have been a 90's anime), Escaflowne, Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac... My list goes on and on and on. 80's and 90's was, thematically, probably my favorite period of anime. Even the ones that were not so good, there's something precious about their aesthetic. I'm not really sure how to describe it.

The most obscure? I'm not really sure. I never really hear people talk about Dirty Pair unless its on some niche forum, but I don't know if its actually obscure or not. I feel like Magical Princess Minky Momo is pretty obscure too, but I'm not sure if I'm just conflating its lack of existing physical copies as obscure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
View attachment 10380
I would say Legend of the Galatic Heroes is akin to a multi-part 80's sci-fi novel series. They take great liberties in assuring that they made it as true to life as possible in terms of character interactions, personality, thematics, and political discourse. My only issue with it is this weird idea that it is to be held as some absolute and stellar piece of anime history, revered by all as literary genius. Is it fantastic? Absolutely. Are you some big-brain macho head who can speak down to the plebs if you watch it? I'm going to guarantee you that you're not. So, as long as you're there to enjoy it for the content, you'll have a great time. If you're looking for something revolutionary, maybe look elsewhere.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
for me they have to be pre Evangelion, since this anime is year zero in terms of chronological order, followed onwards first by Experimental series Lain and then Boggie bop Phanton
I highly recommend it. check out the original EATMAN series (followed by Eatman 98) but I loved the original, I am considering reading the manga now, many decades later.
But I am a person who watched anime since the 80s, even before it was called that, although only for children and on TV, nothing too complicated.
If you want, I can tell you a very dark one that is going to blow your mind like
Shuten Doji, the star hand kid

Virtual Cafe Awards

rootsudo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
You're missing out if you don't include pre 00' live action or dramas. I can go on and on with good animes, but why don't you give some old jdramas a try? :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFpBoP8_xn8

Or yonimo-kimyona-monogatari, here's a great palce to watch some, in vhs quality
View: https://archive.org/details/yonimo-kimyona-monogatari-ngn/Yonimo+Kimyona+Monogatari+(1991-01-17)+%5BNGN%5D+Stop+the+Time+-+Back+to+That+Day+-+Town+in+Sight+%5BD926D5D8%5D.mp4
highly suggest the torrent for the whole upload one, and you'd want more. :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Vampire Hunter D as mentioned as well as all of Kawajiri's films... he had a special style that no one else has today.

Patlabor, both the TV series and movies/OVAs (separate continuities)

Jin Roh

Angel's Egg

Akira.

Modern animation is so clean, sanitized... boring. Give me those sweet hand drawn imperfections any day.

angels engg.png

angels eggg.jpg

angelss egg.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think there seems to be some misunderstanding about cel animation here. CGI has not replaced cel animation, cel animation is a technique and CGI is a tool. Modern anime artists use a digital cel animation process. It's essentially identical to cel animation, except we use computers to generate keyframes which are then mildly adjusted or redrawn every frame, instead of using 100+ pieces of celluloid sheets.

CGI is generally a garbage way of animating, because it is cheaper to do than have artists hand draw everything on a tablet or computer, so low budget studios think they can get away with cost saving. CGI is a very powerful tool when used correctly, though. For instance, look at Demon Slayer: It is regarded as one of the most beautifully animated anime to date, primarily because of the action scenes involving the breath techniques. Fun fact: Those are CGI scenes. They use a technique where they generate CGI forms and animate them with digital cel techniques to create the fluidity CGI provides with the beautiful, immersive look of 2D animation. The thing is, when CGI is done well, you don't notice.
What I think we lack is the dedication and effort that artists of the hand cel animated generation had.
I was being tongue and cheek with my CEL animation > CGI comment, but I appreciate the elaboration. My stereotype of CGI is the horrendous Berserk reboot, and in general as you pointed out, cheap usage of it.

I realize it's more an issue of styles naturally changing over time, but personally I miss the look of anime when it was predominantly hand drawn. With the 90's shoujo aesthetic being a particular weakness of mine.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 10380
HARD YESSSSSS. Put in the time, it's amazing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FAILSAF_12

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
my fave anime is Evangelion, but some more I really like from pre 2000s are Cowboy Bebop, Lain, Golgo 13: the professional (such a fun movie), wicked city, Akira, definitely sailor moon, bubblegum crisis is also pretty epic, I don't watch a ton of anime, just went on an older anime watching phase a few months ago, lots of good ones on a free streaming service called Tubi! especially if you like 80s ones, they seem to have a ton on there.

EDIT: idk how I forgot to include GHOST IN THE DAMN SHELL I love that movie, probably one of my fave movies in general of all time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

tofuDWU

Nomad
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 10380
oh I've heard of this one, it's been on my list for a while but it absolutely slipped my mind. Is it any good? What is it about?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
oh I've heard of this one, it's been on my list for a while but it absolutely slipped my mind. Is it any good? What is it about?
If I'm correct it's suppose to WW2 in space, with the Reich clearly being the nazis and the Free Planets representing the United States. Could be wrong here though as I've never watched it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
If I'm correct it's suppose to WW2 in space, with the Reich clearly being the nazis and the Free Planets representing the United States. Could be wrong here though as I've never watched it.
I wouldn't say so. The show is basically a story about a dictatorship versus democracy but it's not really a WW2 allegory. In fact, it kind of glorifies Reinhard.

"There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."

Virtual Cafe Awards