Private Search Engines, and where to find them.

Anova3

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
So there's been a couple of topics in here around private search engines, and generally how DuckDuckGo isn't as trustworthy as we would have hoped.

While digging around on the net, (search engine list on wikipedia) looking for more alternatives, I ran across a search engine called Gigablast (http://gigablast.com) - and they've got a small blurb on their front page about a joint effort between them and freenode to create a truly private search engine: https://private.sh/

I can't find any hidden strings and it does appear to do a good job at scrubbing my specific data out of the query before forwarding it on to whoever returns the results. I would love to hear you all's thoughts on this. Is this the next DDG?

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
>gigablast
:gigachad::gigachad::gigachad::gigachad::gigachad::gigachad::gigachad::gigachad::gigachad:

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
ho ho ho, i think i have a good resource:

this fella is not me, but in this article he does talk about the types of search engines and rates their privacy based not only on TOS but on past activity, and goes a little in depth on the search engines provided.... this article made me switch from swisscows to mojeek, then from mojeek to SearX (cause mojeek thought i had "automated queries" for some reason)

The other shit he writes on is good too by the way, he also rates the privacy of email services and talks about how mozilla is another big bad.

ALSO while i'm at it here's another website rating certain applications based if they're spyware or not:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Anova3

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
ho ho ho, i think i have a good resource:

this fella is not me, but in this article he does talk about the types of search engines and rates their privacy based not only on TOS but on past activity, and goes a little in depth on the search engines provided.... this article made me switch from swisscows to mojeek, then from mojeek to SearX (cause mojeek thought i had "automated queries" for some reason)

The other shit he writes on is good too by the way, he also rates the privacy of email services and talks about how mozilla is another big bad.

ALSO while i'm at it here's another website rating certain applications based if they're spyware or not:
THANK YOU for this. Very informative.

I personally use DDG for most normie stuff. But sometimes there's stuff you'd like to search for and not leave a record at all, even if you are using VPNs or whatnot else to obfuscate the details.

Also Wiby is going to become a new favorite for me. The idea of having a search engine that purposely avoids indexing massive corpo websites, and *only* shows 'the classic web' is genius.

I didn't see private.sh on the list, but he does have gigablast on there, and he said almost nothing about it, so I assume that's a good sign. I mean, assuming you don't mind running javascript and you don't mind your IP getting stored for a (hopefully) short while. It has it's own "Surprisingly Good" index, so at the very least it doesn't have to forward that data on to anyone else who would be likely to keep it on their own terms.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
I use SearXNG, which is a metsearch engine (a fork of SearX), hosted locally. It lives in my /opt directory, and I just start it up in the background when my machine loads up. I have it in a git repository, such that I can just git-pull down the latest updates and then merge them into the changes and tweaks that I've made to it over time. It doesn't completely eliminate bias or privacy concerns, but it pulls from a wider range of sources which I feel helps to remove at least some bias. Since its a metasearch engine, the engines that it checks still see your query, but they don't get quite the same opportunity to fingerprint you or place a cookie on you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Milkington

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have a few that I use from time to time. They at least give you interesting results, if not always the most accurate. None of these are private as far as I know, but they are independent of google and other big corps. Hope that's good enough

Marginalia - surfaces older sites much more often than google (which seems to rank sites with more recent updates higher). There are a lot of older websites with cool and useful info that sadly just don't get surfaced

Kagi - this is a startup that is competing with google. It seems to have pretty good results, but you need to sign up.

Wiby Teclis Indieweb - I don't use these much, but they seem interesting

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
I have a few that I use from time to time. They at least give you interesting results, if not always the most accurate. None of these are private as far as I know, but they are independent of google and other big corps. Hope that's good enough

Marginalia - surfaces older sites much more often than google (which seems to rank sites with more recent updates higher). There are a lot of older websites with cool and useful info that sadly just don't get surfaced

Kagi - this is a startup that is competing with google. It seems to have pretty good results, but you need to sign up.

Wiby Teclis Indieweb - I don't use these much, but they seem interesting
I like to use Wiby, they show old internet stuff.

I've read that Marginalia uses cloud fare though, so I'd stay away from it

Virtual Cafe Awards

Szurlk367

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
It is very difficult to find topics on Conspiracy Theories even in Bitchute it is difficult Youtube and Google have banned any search on the subject Duckduckgo is not longer Good it became Google 2.0 and i think the same will happen to Yandex