Return To Minecraft

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
The other night I got a real strong urge to play Minecraft. I forked over the $35 and downloaded it and got right into it. It's a weird experience so far, I did not realise just how many updates have passed by since I last played it. I will say that I am impressed. I was worried at 1.12.2 that all updates would just feel like mods, and in some ways yeah, some things still don't feel at home, but there are some other great things. Terrain generation is unreal! The river networks are awesome, and those massive cliffs are great. The biomes are really expansive and interesting. The caves and ravines are tight and claustrophobic in an exhilarating way. There's some new music that's been added too, I dunno if it's C418 or not, but it fits really well. It's a relief seeing these changes are so good, because whenever classic things get changed the turn is typically for the worse. But if you don't like them, at least you can revert to the older versions, which I've got to say I'm surprised they still let you do that. That seems like the sort of thing a company will be cunts about and say "YOU CANT DO THAT!" I wouldn't be surprised if they try to stop players doing that at some point in the future. But for now, I must say that I am really pleasantly surprised. I've already lost a good 20 hours to this game by now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
There's a big kerfluffle right now because the devs promised certain features for an upcoming update, and it's become clear that essentially nothing they promised has been added. The changes they have made are tiny, and it's prompted loads of questions of why they've gotten so little done in so much time.

I've been getting into Mineclone 2 (a game mode of Minetest) myself, simply because it's easier to mod, and I believe it would be healthy to encourage a community to develop around an open-source project like it, especially because Microsoft is a scummy company. There's a resource pack you can install to make the game look exactly like Minecraft if you like that look, and it plays almost the same way. I will admit the terrain generation doesn't seem to be as good as the recent Caves and Cliffs update in Minecraft, but it's comparable to previous versions. The default textures are also not so great IMO, though this can be fixed by resource packs. I would recommend people try it out.

I'm a programmer and have made mods for Minecraft. I've been thinking of making mods for Minetest/Mineclone to help expand/improve the community, but the problem is that nobody I know either online or IRL plays it, and I'm not much of a gamer myself. If people on this forum have an interest in playing, though, I'll try to invest myself more -- I have some relatively ambitious ideas that may take some time to work on, but if anyone has requests for simpler mods to implement, I'd be happy to work on it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Angelo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
There's a big kerfluffle right now because the devs promised certain features for an upcoming update, and it's become clear that essentially nothing they promised has been added. The changes they have made are tiny, and it's prompted loads of questions of why they've gotten so little done in so much time.

I've been getting into Mineclone 2 (a game mode of Minetest) myself, simply because it's easier to mod, and I believe it would be healthy to encourage a community to develop around an open-source project like it, especially because Microsoft is a scummy company. There's a resource pack you can install to make the game look exactly like Minecraft if you like that look, and it plays almost the same way. I will admit the terrain generation doesn't seem to be as good as the recent Caves and Cliffs update in Minecraft, but it's comparable to previous versions. The default textures are also not so great IMO, though this can be fixed by resource packs. I would recommend people try it out.

I'm a programmer and have made mods for Minecraft. I've been thinking of making mods for Minetest/Mineclone to help expand/improve the community, but the problem is that nobody I know either online or IRL plays it, and I'm not much of a gamer myself. If people on this forum have an interest in playing, though, I'll try to invest myself more -- I have some relatively ambitious ideas that may take some time to work on, but if anyone has requests for simpler mods to implement, I'd be happy to work on it.
This sounds like a fun project. You should make a thread for the sake of generate some ideas within the community. I definitely have an interest in lending my digital art skills to a project like this.
We could make some Agora Road skins or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
People prefer golden age minecraft only because of nostalgia and nothing else honestly
Nah for me personally Minecraft is way too bloated today. 2013-14 Minecraft is perfect. I play Minetest nowadays. It's a free open source Minecraft clone and it feels more like Minecraft to me than Minecraft at this point. Maybe its because I'm retarded and don't have the brain capacity to appreciate everything in the game now I just prefer a simpler game.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I've enjoyed seeing the updates in Minecraft, but I don't really have time to play it these days. Mostly just watch my wife play it every now and then. I'll tell her about Minetest, but I doubt she'll switch over.

Virtual Cafe Awards

狐 Shrine

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I always come back to a new world with every big update for a few weeks. I agree with others in the thread. It will never be as good as the "golden age" of minecraft, but some of the new features are pretty cool. It's nice that they poll the players for potential mobs, although I feel like the mobs they add don't add much to the game overall.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jordshire

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I started playing Minecraft again when the 1.17 update came out and you guys are definitely right about it being far different to the game that we played back in 2012-2013 but personally I think the new updates have added a lot of really great features. Terrain generation is (objectively) waaayyy more aesthetically pleasing than it used to be, nether fortresses + raids + the Wither means there's some decently fun fights that don't just roll over for you, and if you haven't kept up on the updates like I hadn't randomly running into the new stuff is actually pretty fun!

I think the real winner is with the technical side of the game though, the new red stone components open up a ton of possibilities and there's a bunch of new farms that are possible to make. I think a lot of people kind of miss out on the fun of discovering new mechanics and inventing their own farms by just following block-by-block tutorials on yt but what do I know.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I've enjoyed seeing the updates in Minecraft, but I don't really have time to play it these days. Mostly just watch my wife play it every now and then. I'll tell her about Minetest, but I doubt she'll switch over.
Just so you know. "Minetest" is a game engine with a basic "game" installed by default, if that makes sense. The purpose of the engine is to make it possible for other possible to (relatively) easily write their own "games" and mods. If she does want to try this, then for a better experience, she should install the Mineclone 2 "game" for Minetest, which is done by starting Minetest, clicking "Content," then "Browse Online Content," searching for Mineclone 2, and then finding the install button. Then make sure that when you're on the "start game" tab, the logo reads "Mineclone 2" and not "Minetest Game."

That Minetest itself is just an engine + barebones "game" is not something I think most people realize, and probably puts a lot of people off from even touching Mineclone or other games for Minetest.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Carbon

Cyberspace Vagabond
Reaction score
Awards
Just so you know. "Minetest" is a game engine with a basic "game" installed by default, if that makes sense. The purpose of the engine is to make it possible for other possible to (relatively) easily write their own "games" and mods. If she does want to try this, then for a better experience, she should install the Mineclone 2 "game" for Minetest, which is done by starting Minetest, clicking "Content," then "Browse Online Content," searching for Mineclone 2, and then finding the install button. Then make sure that when you're on the "start game" tab, the logo reads "Mineclone 2" and not "Minetest Game."

That Minetest itself is just an engine + barebones "game" is not something I think most people realize, and probably puts a lot of people off from even touching Mineclone or other games for Minetest.
Sounds interesting. I'll have to take a look at it. What is it built in?

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com

Oh, I feel you there. I'm very hands on and love more open-source software like this that lets you build from the ground up. Wifey is very much not that way, so I'd basically have to set the whole thing up for her just so she can go, "This isn't Minecraft, though". :Omegajoy:

Virtual Cafe Awards
The newest update to Minecraft now not only sends chat records to Microsoft, but allows players to report other players for using profanity or referencing drugs, alcohol, or "gore." No word yet on whether this "feature" can be disabled.

This is the problem with games being owned by companies like Microsoft. Personally, since I can program, I've been looking to get into making Minetest a more viable platform.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nobodyhere

Ooh, Minetest looks very promising... does it have crossplay between Mac & Windows? My most reliable device ATM is a crusty MacBook.

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
Nah for me personally Minecraft is way too bloated today. 2013-14 Minecraft is perfect. I play Minetest nowadays. It's a free open source Minecraft clone and it feels more like Minecraft to me than Minecraft at this point. Maybe its because I'm retarded and don't have the brain capacity to appreciate everything in the game now I just prefer a simpler game.
lol 2013-2014 MC days were goated. But prior to that my brother and I played minetest to sate our apetite for minecraft until our mom purchased us actual accounts

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
How is the DRM in the game nowadays? I assume it has only got worse in recent years?
Use ultimMC and its all FREE!

Plugging Agoracraft server

Virtual Cafe Awards