Sad, Nostalgic Feeling - All those feeling... that make you feel old...

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
♡抹茶の空想♡ said:
Hello from Reddit! み尉ス
I became really sad the day I found out that Saturday morning cartoons aren't a thing anymore. I miss watching Kids WB in the morning before school. :'(
Oh yes! I remember Kids WB I think they were on channel 5. I also remember Anne of Green Mabrles. It was such an innocent show, no politics.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
i miss the the feeling of the 90s, the feeling like this was it we made it, utopia is just a decade away. i dont know maybe it was just being a kid. oh, just remembered, i really miss getting mail, like letters from friends and family, it felt more personal than emails, texts, or any digital messaging; one of the reasons i like buying tapes. great, question op sorry for the ramble. 8)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
One time, in 2011, I was getting off a bus while listening to music on my Sony Playstation Portable. As I stood up I accidentally unplugged by headphones and revealed, to a bus load of people, that I was listening to もってけ!セーラーふく! It was unbelievably embarrassing. I was 19 years-old. I wish I could be that embarrassed listening to shitty anime songs on my PSP again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I miss the general vibe of the late 2000 and early 2010s. The general feeling of hope and the promise of a great future.

I remember the transition of the DS-Wii era into age of the 3DS-Wii U. Back then it seemed that things were legitimately changing for the better. I remember the hype around Pokemon XY as the franchise finally made the jump to full 3D.

I miss fighting people in Super Mario 64 DS's multiplayer mode and playing Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U with friends.

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
WHY CAN'T GAMES AND SOFTWARE BE COMPLETE AND FUNCTIONING ANYMORE!?!?!??!?!?!?!? JUST AAAUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

"LIVE SERVICE" STUFF IS UGLY, HIDEOUS, APPALLING, AND SLAVERY!!!!!

WHY CAN'T A GAME JUST BE A FREAKING SINGLE PURCHASE ANYMORE!?!?!

View: https://youtu.be/UI8z7PHcib0

The feeling of not being a slave to the internet is a feeling I've never experienced and can't ever experience. I was robbed point blank.
And this is personally why I've been in a major conflict between Progress VS. Regress. In recent years.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
WHY CAN'T GAMES AND SOFTWARE BE COMPLETE AND FUNCTIONING ANYMORE!?!?!??!?!?!?!? JUST AAAUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

"LIVE SERVICE" STUFF IS UGLY, HIDEOUS, APPALLING, AND SLAVERY!!!!!

View: https://youtu.be/UI8z7PHcib0

The feeling of not being a slave to the internet is a feeling I've never experienced and can't ever experience. I was robbed point blank.
And this is personally why I've been in a major conflict between Progress VS. Regress. In recent years.

What do you mean, don't you want...
  • Battlepasses
  • Ability to buy game curency with IRL cash
  • Level boosters
  • Lootboxes
  • NFT-based game
  • NFT integration
  • Paid-for early acess
  • Vaulted content
  • Immersion breaking cosmetics
  • Cash shop with predatory prices
  • Daily FOMO
  • Content that require you to purchase other games
  • Grandfathered rates
  • Low-hanging fruit low humor
  • Anti-consumer pratices
  • Botched remaster
  • 60 GB Day 1 patches
  • Superior editions
  • DRM
  • Tarnished franchises
  • "Remakes"
  • Highly bugged games
  • No game platform upgrade
  • Online only console
  • Parallel editions
  • False physical editions
  • Pre-order bonuses
  • Product placements
  • Soulless cash grabs
  • Game with title devoid of meaning
  • Unfit crossovers
  • Virtue-signaling compagnies
  • Triple A games with in-game ads
  • Padded games
  • Black and white choices
  • Uncessary choices
  • Bloated maps
  • Chosen ones narratives
  • Cluttered game UIs
  • Copy pasted maps
  • "Gameplay"
  • 2D characterization
  • Botched art styles
  • "Realistic" games
The future is now, old man! Throw the past aside, as it is time to move foward!

In all seriousness, I miss when games were not doing any of the above. The state of affairs has become quite sad.

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Because you're not buying the games that are? There are more games than ever on the market and for whatever reason you're choosing to buy ones that make you feel this way. There are plenty of games that require no online component and no microtransactions.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The smell of cigarette smoke weirdly makes me very nostalgic for my childhood because my dad smoked a pack a day when I was growing up.

I got my NES from my parents garage the other week. It's all yellowed and old looking now, but I replaces the 72-pin connector and it works fine. Seeing this thing that's all yellowed and old that I got brand new as a child makes me feel incredibly old. I have a multi-cart from China with 239 games on it that I paid $20. That would have blown my mind as a child when Super Mario Bros. 3 was $40-50. The fact that those multi-carts exist makes me feel old. These NES games sat in a glass case at Zellars when I was a kid and I would look up at them fantasizing about owning all these shiny new shrink wrapped NES games are now so technologically obsolete that I can get a cart with literally hundreds of the for $20.

One night a few years ago, before Lowtax killed himself, I got into a bottle of home made dandlion wine I had been keeping under the stairs and got very sentimental drunk. I was going through old articles from the Something Awful front page and thinking about how I thought they were so funny when I was a 20-year-old kid in the early 2000s. Now that entire world of the early days of the Internet is gone. It was a very sad nostalgia.

I also get sad popular culture will never have that edge from the late 90s/early 2000s to it again. Every year this gets older I feel five years older:

That was so long ago now. That's the same age now as something from 1980 was when it happened. When I was watching that as a teenager, 1980 seemed like this abstract speck far into the past, a few years before I was born. Now this thing I vividly remember watching is just as old as 1980 was when I watched it. There is almost as much time between the 1980s and now as there was between the end of World War II and my birth. Kids born today will learn about the time I grew up in as this far off historical time totally removed from their own the same was I learn about World War II. Thunder Cats and Ninja Turtles are almost as ancient to kids today as World War II era Popeye cartoons were to me.

Like this shit from my childhood here:

Is basically as old as this shit was when I was growing up:

It kind of blows my mind.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards