Should gaming industry be improved?

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
The gaming industry is absolutely broken, from triple AAA trash to early access games... the gamer is the one getting fucked over every single time. Nothing but low IQ college kids getting hired at these gaming studios putting out dead games with no creativity or passion.

Reaction score
Awards
There was plenty good AAA and Indie Games last year, the problem is that people focused too much the failed launches and overexaggerated them, is not the first time the industry enters in a decadence, eventually would rise up with many hits one followed by another, it's just a matter of time, and who knows, maybe in 5 years we will be nostalgic for this mediocre games, there is plenty youtubers telling you how mediocre stuff from the past was underrated because X or Y reason, so, my suggestion is, ignore other peoples opinion, play the games (i suggest you piracy to avoid wasting money), give your own criteria, and try to improve the industry in a constructive way, because i'm kinda tired of those overdramatic people saying "omgggg noooo the industry is dead"

Yeah, the corpos make this shit a business, but is not the first time it happens, besides, the indie secene is strong as always.

Virtual Cafe Awards

no_mad

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The gaming industry is absolutely broken, from triple AAA trash to early access games... the gamer is the one getting fucked over every single time. Nothing but low IQ college kids getting hired at these gaming studios putting out dead games with no creativity or passion.
The main problem is that you have these really big companies like EA and Microsoft which swallow the competition. Being that this industry is very risky as well, swallowing smaller dev studios happens alot. People from middle management and marketing departments in these companies are primarily responsible for the way the gaming industry is. They consist of the worst type of capitalist vultures, people who can smile ear to ear and spew bullshit that they believe as well. They join this multi billion dollar industry, not because they are passionate about gaming, but they know full well they can make a buck.
And when they do enter these markets, what became directed towards a niche community is directed towards having a larger audience.
Its not enough for you to enjoy this game anymore, all games need to have their tone, aesthetic, gameplay and story narrative dumbed down and adapted to the most marketable approach.

Enjoy your shit sandwhich + DLC

Virtual Cafe Awards

Makadam

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If by improved, you mean shut down completely and rebooted, then yes. I don't think the indie scene is the solution because it still gets influenced by the larger part of the industry and all its negative aspects. And it shouldn't be the only option, in the first place. All the big players of today were trusted at some point.

I do second the notion that in the absence of such a miracle, all you can really do is stay with the classics and the lucky good release every now and then. We certainly won't see another year like 2004 again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
What do you think on Japanese gaming industry today?
I personally think SEGA is a 3rd party publisher and milking the sega genesis nostalgia fad, other companies following such as SNK and taito with mini arcades and collections of games, Konami is broken, nintendo does really well. It's not in a very good shape considering how bad are working conditions there with 12-16 hour work. A thing i hope but i pick a small basket is the limit of working days per week like 5 hours a day for 3-4 days.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
I hope the indie scene brings diversity and creativity to gaming at this point.

The problem with the indie scene is most of them have no business sense, are shady themselves, take the money and run, make half ass games because they don't wanna share the profits. (Valheim for instance). They made like 60 million in a month and didn't hire another developer and only released a small update a year later. Then you've got these one man band camps who make games by themselves that never really amount to anything but a single play through... and then you've got the other branch of game devs, like 90% actually, who are extreme lefty social justice warriors and police their community into the ground. (Due Process). I was banned for saying Amouranth is a tranny in chat.

The gaming scene is quite literally dead in my standards... not many games can hold my attention for more than a day anymore and its not because I don't like gaming... it's because the games are shallow repeat clones. It's all cheese at this point.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The problem with the indie scene is most of them have no business sense, are shady themselves, take the money and run, make half ass games because they don't wanna share the profits. (Valheim for instance). They made like 60 million in a month and didn't hire another developer and only released a small update a year later. Then you've got these one man band camps who make games by themselves that never really amount to anything but a single play through... and then you've got the other branch of game devs, like 90% actually, who are extreme lefty social justice warriors and police their community into the ground. (Due Process). I was banned for saying Amouranth is a tranny in chat.

The gaming scene is quite literally dead in my standards... not many games can hold my attention for more than a day anymore and its not because I don't like gaming... it's because the games are shallow repeat clones. It's all cheese at this point.
With posts like this, they make me not to work in that field due to its issues currently. Toxicity, conglomerate. Even gaming became from a hobby and a way of escapism to side hustle which is bad.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3578

What do you think on Japanese gaming industry today?
I personally think SEGA is a 3rd party publisher and milking the sega genesis nostalgia fad, other companies following such as SNK and taito with mini arcades and collections of games, Konami is broken, nintendo does really well. It's not in a very good shape considering how bad are working conditions there with 12-16 hour work. A thing i hope but i pick a small basket is the limit of working days per week like 5 hours a day for 3-4 days.
Oh man Sega's history is that of Failing Fantastically. Tbh, the 32x and rushed Saturn release doomed them. I think if they hadn't tried to play bull with Sony, and focused on the Saturn's 2D and At Home Arcade potential, they could've continued a nice niche in the hardware game. Even if they eventualy did stop with console production, I could see them teaming up with Xbox and/or steam to design peripherals and software to take advantage of them. Sega in some for of A, or even B, Game in the VR era would be Dope As Hell.

But, outside the speculation: Sega could do far better. They fell prey to the crunch/sequel/remaster cycle every other third party has. And every Sonic game/generation cycle is a matter of one step forward, two steps back. Though, I am kinda looking forward to Sonic Frontiers. This will be the first time I play a Sonic game while it's new since the 90's. (yeeks). I will also say that Sega seems to publish a pretty diverse range with notable favorites like Persona and Yakuza. So... they're doing better than Konami.

My biggest current gripe with Sega is them putting fucking Genesis games on the Switch online expansion. THEY RELEASE THAT SHIT ALL THE TIME. You can probably even buy a Genesis collection with everything they'll eventually release for like $30 on Switch. Definitely on any other platform. I really wish they'd go out on a limb and start offering Saturn, Dreamcast, Master System, ARCADE GAMES. Sega has such a rich and varied history and them dropping the same 20 Genesis titles every 3 years is deeply disappointing. Make them available, by all means - but GODDAMN. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAN GENESIS.

Deleted member 3578

Further Sega talk:: I think Nintendo would be forced into being more consumer friendly if they had another actual game company to compete with on the Console Stage. Sony and Microsoft are tech companies first. Gaming is just an avenue. But is Sega and Nintendo both still existed, you'd have more than 1 quirky and innovative company doing shit.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Oh man Sega's history is that of Failing Fantastically. Tbh, the 32x and rushed Saturn release doomed them. I think if they hadn't tried to play bull with Sony, and focused on the Saturn's 2D and At Home Arcade potential, they could've continued a nice niche in the hardware game. Even if they eventualy did stop with console production, I could see them teaming up with Xbox and/or steam to design peripherals and software to take advantage of them. Sega in some for of A, or even B, Game in the VR era would be Dope As Hell.

But, outside the speculation: Sega could do far better. They fell prey to the crunch/sequel/remaster cycle every other third party has. And every Sonic game/generation cycle is a matter of one step forward, two steps back. Though, I am kinda looking forward to Sonic Frontiers. This will be the first time I play a Sonic game while it's new since the 90's. (yeeks). I will also say that Sega seems to publish a pretty diverse range with notable favorites like Persona and Yakuza. So... they're doing better than Konami.

My biggest current gripe with Sega is them putting fucking Genesis games on the Switch online expansion. THEY RELEASE THAT SHIT ALL THE TIME. You can probably even buy a Genesis collection with everything they'll eventually release for like $30 on Switch. Definitely on any other platform. I really wish they'd go out on a limb and start offering Saturn, Dreamcast, Master System, ARCADE GAMES. Sega has such a rich and varied history and them dropping the same 20 Genesis titles every 3 years is deeply disappointing. Make them available, by all means - but GODDAMN. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAN GENESIS.
I think nostalgia is ok once in a while. But after that it gets tacky.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3578

I think nostalgia is ok once in a while. But after that it gets tacky.
I come at it more from a preservation mind set. Sega is the one riding the crutch of nostalgia for the Genesis. If they, and other companies, would make more of their old content available, it would come off far less crass.

Moon-Watcher777

愛している
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Or you can be like me, and play the same games you already knew for all eternity, today i played again brothers in arms hell highway, was my first PS3 game and oh man is so good.
Same here. I just replay my favorites from my youth and ones i didn't get around to playing. I've been on a ps2 nostalgia kick lately.

Virtual Cafe Awards

the-dude-abides

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

valheim was probably the worst "flavor of the month" game of 2021

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
The problem is that the gaming industry is like all other parts of the tech world where products are designed to become an addiction which turn you into a paypig. The addiction isn't even fun, I'd much rather be addicted to heroin than be a zoomer who spends 7 hours a day watching Tik Tok or playing poorly made gatcha mobile games. This is what makes money in 2022 though and not much we can do about it besides stop buying shit. Even games that have solid gameplay, like the new Halo, have these paypig structures built onto them. It's clear that for a lot of game companies the devs want to put out great products but are either prevented in doing so by (A) their corporate masters who want to drain people of their money (343, Dice, EA, etc) or (B) power trippers who run the company and want to be able to fart on their employes or get them drunk and rape them (Blizzard, Riot, etc.). Probably both, not to mention having to simultaneously navigate the minefield of putting out a "diverse" product so you don't have pink-haired losers picketing the studio's headquarters.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

liquidsun

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I dont think the gaming industry as a whole is getting worse. Sure if your focusing on staple AAA games but there are so many great little games being released every month.
There are lots of different studios with lots of different goals to achive thru game making, you just gotta look elsewhere if all you are seeing is kinda crap.

Virtual Cafe Awards