• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Show off your VHS collections.

MoxxyWasHere

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Here's my collection I've been working on

Attachments

• 20220628_101035.jpg
    20220628_101035.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220628_101104.jpg
    20220628_101104.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220628_100951.jpg
    20220628_100951.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220628_101019.jpg
    20220628_101019.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 76

MoxxyWasHere

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
This is super dope my fren. I have a local store that is selling some VHS and was thinking of getting some, but I have nothing to play them with currently. Do you have any vcr recommendations?
VCR advice:
- Don't buy modern VCR's (Yes those do exist)
- Don't buy 2-in-1 VCR/DVD players because they're really low quality
- Buy VCR's from 1981-1999 (Best quality)
- If you're buying one online, make sure the description reads that it's fully functional
- Not necessary, but for extra security ask the buyer if it ever ate any tapes or sometimes turns off on it's own

Brands don't really mean much for VCR's because they're kinda all the same, but through my many VCR's, I've had mostly positive experiences with the brand Quasar. Especially their 80s models.

VHS advise
- Don't leave your VHS tapes in moist/humid areas because that will significantly increase molding (That's why VHS tapes mold so much when left in basements or attics)
- Keep tapes in dry, preferably colder areas of the room
- Keep your tapes up vertically and close together because that'll also prevent mold from what I've read
- VHS tape molding chances increase a tad bit left in dark areas, it's not too serious, but it's preferred they're in some light
- DON'T play molded tapes in VCR's because it'll mess up the tape and the VCR
- If the tape is molded already, it's best to just chuck it, because there is only one method of cleaning them, but it's really time consuming

Here is some basic advice for you, and your VHS tapes in your store! I know you didn't ask for pretty much all of this, but it's good to know lol

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
VCR advice:
- Don't buy modern VCR's (Yes those do exist)
- Don't buy 2-in-1 VCR/DVD players because they're really low quality
- Buy VCR's from 1981-1999 (Best quality)
- If you're buying one online, make sure the description reads that it's fully functional
- Not necessary, but for extra security ask the buyer if it ever ate any tapes or sometimes turns off on it's own

Brands don't really mean much for VCR's because they're kinda all the same, but through my many VCR's, I've had mostly positive experiences with the brand Quasar. Especially their 80s models.

VHS advise
- Don't leave your VHS tapes in moist/humid areas because that will significantly increase molding (That's why VHS tapes mold so much when left in basements or attics)
- Keep tapes in dry, preferably colder areas of the room
- Keep your tapes up vertically and close together because that'll also prevent mold from what I've read
- VHS tape molding chances increase a tad bit left in dark areas, it's not too serious, but it's preferred they're in some light
- DON'T play molded tapes in VCR's because it'll mess up the tape and the VCR
- If the tape is molded already, it's best to just chuck it, because there is only one method of cleaning them, but it's really time consuming

Here is some basic advice for you, and your VHS tapes in your store! I know you didn't ask for pretty much all of this, but it's good to know lol
Thank you very much for all of that advice! I had some VHS tapes as a kid, but DVD's were becoming pretty prevalent as I got older, so I never learned about caring for them properly. I have a display cabinet that is set up with a dehumidifier to keep the space dry, but there isn't too much temperature control. If it's hot it gets hot, if it's cold it gets cold. What would you say about storing my VHS in those sort of conditions?

Virtual Cafe Awards

MoxxyWasHere

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you very much for all of that advice! I had some VHS tapes as a kid, but DVD's were becoming pretty prevalent as I got older, so I never learned about caring for them properly. I have a display cabinet that is set up with a dehumidifier to keep the space dry, but there isn't too much temperature control. If it's hot it gets hot, if it's cold it gets cold. What would you say about storing my VHS in those sort of conditions?
Temperature isn't too much of an issue, it's just that hot conditions cause more humidity, but you have a dehumidifier so it's fine. Hotter temps do cause more mold and bacteria activity, but it's nothing too serious that would cause mold on your tape nor hurt it. Cold temps are good because it slows down bacteria and mold activity because slower molecules and sciencey stuff like that lol

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Temperature isn't too much of an issue, it's just that hot conditions cause more humidity, but you have a dehumidifier so it's fine. Hotter temps do cause more mold and bacteria activity, but it's nothing too serious that would cause mold on your tape nor hurt it. Cold temps are good because it slows down bacteria and mold activity because slower molecules and sciencey stuff like that lol
Haha, I figured it was some basic stuff like that (I have a few really old books I have the same worries about!), so I think I can make it work.

Thanks for your knowledge dump again! Definitely a big help. :KannaWave:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Screen.Thief

Agora Road Beachcomber
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
This is super dope my fren. I have a local store that is selling some VHS and was thinking of getting some, but I have nothing to play them with currently. Do you have any vcr recommendations?
I've had to buy many throughout the years, but I've got a Magnavox VCR that I've used for 15+ years. There's always so many at Goodwills and other thrift stores lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Here's the good stuff. I always have an eye out for early 80s tapes that look like first home video releases at thirft stores and flea markets, as well as any concert tapes. Not pictured is the boxes of pre-recorded stuff I've thrifted over the years
IMG_20220628_175845945.jpg

Also have this, I think it's a preview tape of some kind for Shawshank Redemption? Not sure if it's rare or something
IMG_20220628_175822840.jpg

IMG_20220628_175814051.jpg
IMG_20220628_175759553.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
My VHS collection easily numbers in the hundreds at this point, if I include all the movies- but I really only consider my "collection" to be the really rare stuff that holds sentimental value to me, tapes that nobody else has, tapes of old concerts or live TV recordings or stuff like that. Every couple months I go to my local thrift store to buy some more, they have a nice rotation. Even so, I only have a couple dozen of what I would consider really interesting ones. Here's a pic of a couple:

VHS Collection.png

The first one is a compilation tape of electronic music made by a local band called 75 Ohms, then I have a "Star Trek" bloopers tape with lots of funny outtakes where Patrick Stewart says the f-word and stuff (to the best of my knowledge, none of these bloopers are available anywhere online). The third tape is a 90s documentary on coral reefs with some really trippy 3D simulations. Then there's a 6-hour SLP "Night Gallery" tape recorded by my late uncle from the Sci-Fi Channel around 1995, which singlehandedly shaped my interest in sci-fi and horror. And finally is a special tape which purports to clean the heads of your VCR. I've never tried it but maybe I should, it probably works pretty well.

So those are a few cool ones I have. And it didn't even take that long to amass these- my advice to amateur tape collectors would be to just keep your eyes open and you'll spot something worth nabbing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
then I have a "Star Trek" bloopers tape with lots of funny outtakes where Patrick Stewart says the f-word and stuff (to the best of my knowledge, none of these bloopers are available anywhere online)
And you haven't made'em available online because?..

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
And you haven't made'em available online because?..
Because I believe the exclusivity of VHS tapes is part of what makes collecting them fun. And anyone can find rarities like these, if you look- it's not hard. But I don't think uploading them is that important, they're just kind of fun to enjoy as their own thing, a whole separate ecosystem of media from the Internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
And anyone can find rarities like these, if you look - it's not hard. But I don't think uploading them is that important
Dude. How about people, who are, like, not in US? You know, those people, who do not have local thrift stores - or any thrift stores, for that reason? Or, like, people who simply do not have the money to spend on VHS player? Just couple examples.
And uploading stuff is important. Do I really have to exaplain why? You yourself posted in Lost Media thread. Albeit, granted, I do not see anything on your photo that is of any particular... global value, and yet still, I simply can't imagine owning a tape that is not available online and not making it digital, uploading it ASAP.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
Dude. How about people, who are, like, not in US? You know, those people, who do not have local thrift stores - or any thrift stores, for that reason? Or, like, people who simply do not have the money to spend on VHS player? Just couple examples.
And uploading stuff is important. Do I really have to exaplain why? You yourself posted in Lost Media thread. Albeit, granted, I do not see anything on your photo that is of any particular... global value, and yet still, I simply can't imagine owning a tape that is not available online and not making it digital, uploading it ASAP.
If VHSes aren't even a part of someone's local culture, I don't know why someone would care about them any

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If VHSes aren't even a part of someone's local culture, I don't know why someone would care about them any
It's not VHSes, it's the data they hold. I can imagine some Star Trek fans wanting to see that blooper reel rather easily.
I, myself, would probably gladly listen to the 75 Ohms one, because I'm huge about music. And if you won't make it digital, I will never discover that band, simple as. I mean, I've ran a quick search and I cannot find anything about 75 Ohms at all.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Because I believe the exclusivity of VHS tapes is part of what makes collecting them fun. And anyone can find rarities like these, if you look- it's not hard. But I don't think uploading them is that important, they're just kind of fun to enjoy as their own thing, a whole separate ecosystem of media from the Internet.
Even if you don't intend on sharing the contents, you should still make digital copies and keep some back-ups stored off-site (in privated youtube uploads or something), VHS tapes are prone to degradation and large sections of the tape can quickly become unwatchable, especially if it's on some of the older, cheaper to produce tapes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
Even if you don't intend on sharing the contents, you should still make digital copies and keep some back-ups stored off-site (in privated youtube uploads or something), VHS tapes are prone to degradation and large sections of the tape can quickly become unwatchable, especially if it's on some of the older, cheaper to produce tapes.
Not here in Denver. The arid climate means that VHS tapes can last for decades, if not centuries. I have VHS tapes dating back to 1977, the first year they were available, and I have compact cassettes from well before that. VHS is one of the most resilient formats possible in the right climate- it'll outlive most computer software and serve as the only record of human civilization. I guess VHS could theoretically rot in Louisiana or Florida or something- but the air down there is so soggy and unlivable that they can't even carve pumpkins for Halloween without them turning to mush in a couple hours. Here in Denver, VHS is the way to go.

I don't want to convert my tapes to digital, because the rips look kinda shoddy and 2 hours of video footage would needlessly clog up my hard drive. In fact, I'm actually in the process of converting all my online videos to VHS- that way, if YouTube ever shuts down for whatever reason (which seems likely given this recent AdBlocker drama) I can sell my videos to consumers on tape, and make more from them than I ever would from YouTube.

James Rolfe, the angriest gamer you've ever heard, agrees with me here:
James Rolfe VHS.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't want to convert my tapes to digital, because the rips look kinda shoddy and 2 hours of video footage would needlessly clog up my hard drive. In fact, I'm actually in the process of converting all my online videos to VHS- that way, if YouTube ever shuts down for whatever reason (which seems likely given this recent AdBlocker drama) I can sell my videos to consumers on tape, and make more from them than I ever would from YouTube.
Fine. How about I buy a copy of 75 Ohms tape from you?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
Fine. How about I buy a copy of 75 Ohms tape from you?
Nah- that's in my private collection. I do sell my own tapes, internationally, though, via the Nicolas Comics catalog. I would recommend "NTV," it's a compilation of local Denver music videos and concerts. Easily as good as the 75 Ohms tape, and with more variety. If you're interested in the details, you can PM me.

Incidentally, a lot of 75 Ohms' material is actually available online, so if you can't find them I'd recommend doing more than just a cursory Google search. Maybe that's why you can't find rare videos- not because they aren't on the Internet, but because you don't dig deep enough into the weeds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Incidentally, a lot of 75 Ohms' material is actually available online, so if you can't find them I'd recommend doing more than just a cursory Google search. Maybe that's why you can't find rare videos- not because they aren't on the Internet, but because you don't dig deep enough into the weeds.
You are kind of correct. I do not care much about 75 Ohms, therefore I indeed do not want to dig deep for them. Just wanted to see what you would've said about my offer.

Virtual Cafe Awards