Silicon Valley Bank Collapse

• Thread starter Jade
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2773 times.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Got some fresh news, the swiss bank Credit Suisse is looking shaky right now too. It's still a bit early to tell whether it's gonna crash or not, and what the ramifications would be if it did, but if it does it'll be more than just a shakeup, this bank has a higher market value than the entire swiss economy. Regardless, the situation is quite interesting cause it appears they may have been pulling some classic tricks to fudge what they're able to legally report as an asset and using that to play with their stock prices.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Got some fresh news, the swiss bank Credit Suisse is looking shaky right now too. It's still a bit early to tell whether it's gonna crash or not, and what the ramifications would be if it did, but if it does it'll be more than just a shakeup, this bank has a higher market value than the entire swiss economy. Regardless, the situation is quite interesting cause it appears they may have been pulling some classic tricks to fudge what they're able to legally report as an asset and using that to play with their stock prices.
hell if they go down then all our rich overlords will be in serious trouble, every millionaire and above keeps their money in either swiss banks or Cayman island banks. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and SVB will cascade into more and more bank failures as people realize they're total frauds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
hell if they go down then all our rich overlords will be in serious trouble, every millionaire and above keeps their money in either swiss banks or Cayman island banks. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and SVB will cascade into more and more bank failures as people realize they're total frauds.
It's worth nothing that the trouble Credit Suisse is in right now was entirely their own making and it was only exacerbated, not a result, of SVB's collapse. I think you're right in that SVB alone isn't big enough to cause another 2008 or 1929, but this bank definitely is, so it's worth watching. No matter what the outcome it'll have effects on banks all over the world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I remember last year all everyone was talking about Credit Susie crashing and I think I made a thread about it. This bank is going down, I think most of retail owns it anyway

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
A bit more info on the current situation

basically, Credit Suisse's current largest shareholder is our good ol' friend Saudi Arabia, but there are swiss laws preventing foreign entities from owning more than a certain amount of stock in certain swiss companies. This means that if the Saudis want to bail out Credit Suisse, they have to go through the time and trouble of finding ways to fudge the law so that they can do it without *technically* breaking it in a way that destabilize the entire system

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
What people are missing from this situation is that technically SVB did nothing wrong. Fed regulation forced them to buy government bonds to hedge against their tech investments and fed guidance told them that inflation was transitory. The fed then raised the interest rate to curb inflation, effectively gutting the value of the bonds they forced SVB to invest in.

My schizo theory is that this whole thing is a 5D chess move by the US state department to kneecap big tech after they made big gains in power during covid. The entire collapse was engineered by govt policy and all the old money banks were spared by the bailout that came a few days after SVB went broke. It looks like a controlled demolition of a sector that got too cocky with the way it dealt with the government.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Credit Suisse will get bailed out
View attachment 56488

Rumours are Barclay's may be in trouble as well.
Is that even possible if they go full Lehman? I know the US fed can't *technically* bail out foreign banks, but in that scenario would they still be able to prop up the SNB regardless?

I hadn't heard about Barclays - this article makes it sound like they're only shuttering physical locations because more people are doing their banking online, but I'm not sure I buy that

also side note, I found this while doing more research which I thought was amusing and interesting
lehmann credit suisse.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
Is that even possible if they go full Lehman? I know the US fed can't *technically* bail out foreign banks, but in that scenario would they still be able to prop up the SNB regardless?
Possible, but that would be very different from the US as the Swiss are the only direct democracy IIRC. Their whole federal setup is weird, they don't even have an official capital. The US wouldn't step in for CS, as they have to keep the whole EU in their influence. Stepping in for CS will create divisions inside Europe.
I hadn't heard about Barclays - this article makes it sound like they're only shuttering physical locations because more people are doing their banking online, but I'm not sure I buy that
SVB collapsed for different reasons from CS, which has different problems from Barclays. SVB got screwed by their investments coming to term right between multiple rate increases. CS is essentially a front for all sorts of criminals (along with Deutche Bank and HSBC). Barclays seems to be suffering from poor "last mile" relations management, but I'm sure there's more than just that to force closures so long after COVID (as you point out).
also side note, I found this while doing more research which I thought was amusing and interesting
Sthap that, we aren't anti-semetic here. SVB had a Lehman Brothers exec somewhere in the President/VP range.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
The military (American, obviously).
So just the grunts or the same glowies that direct these guys into pointing guns at non compliant narratives? If told to, they'd kill you and me, no questions asked.
No woke bullshit required.
The military worked hard to get the non compliant types out, the vax was a big part of that. Those who refused were expelled. Hate to say it but the establishment made them as complacent as the city cops. If they're told to stand down while riots plunder your home/business in the name of "racial justice" they will. Your only hope is being in a state that grants strengths to your local counties. Stand your ground is the most important right to maintain.
Institutions that I believe in the potential of, but have currently lost their way:
Family.
People are a product of their environment, the western family unit was relatively strong before all the viable land was bought and every industry was co-opted. Divorces in the US have skyrocketed since the 70s. I agree with you in that there needs to be a unifying spiritual presence, but when the only temples are all franchised out churches then what do you expect? Every cultural institutions claim to enrich spirituality, yet these husks have no substitute other than self enrichment/consumerism lul.
It's my view that a certain generation just needs to fucking die off already and take their decades old philosophies with them, allowing for literally every other generation to take the reins and institute the changes required for their success.
This seems less likely than my hopes that people [:uncleted:] Larry Fink and [:uncleted:] his limp body. Boomers won't [redact] themselves when they get to reap the benefits of the hellscape they brought upon us (at our expense). Perhaps I am incorrect in my assessment, but it sounds as if you want the past grievances to simply dissipate, rather than be properly enacted upon?
boomer theories actually worked and were actually necessary in the 80's. But we don't live in the 80's and haven't for a very long time,
Yes, but the boomer pitfalls go all the way back to LBJ with the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. It was never meant to last, it was merely an easy way out for the privalaged at the time. It only worked in their circumstances.
they generated value for society through the creation of goods
Usually stolen, making them no great minds to follow, but more so dirty pirates. See Pyschopaths vs Schizos.
there are something like ~10 billionaires who made their money through hedge funds and VC. Which is to say that for every one of them who hit pay dirt through ingenuity and entrepreneurship, there are 10 who made their money via gaming the system
Cool, what's their names? And addresses preferably? These are the people who call the shots on if the economy goes into a recession or if we must fight a war to get their net worth back up.
I'm not asking anyone to disbelieve their eyes - it is definitely tough out there and tougher than it used to be. But think harder about what the secondary, tertiary, and fourth order consequences of destruction would be. There is quite a lot that the middle class westerners who attend these protests take for granted and would stand to lose if they actually got their way.
Describe to us what they would lose? I think the average person here can go without their netflix entertainment product
Your local car dealer who make a couple million a year is not the problem, despite participating in one of the purest forms of capitalism.
(If you want me to delete this part, I will) but I never said it was the local franchisees that were the issue. I maintained that it was the hedgefund fucks/bankers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
WSJ article on Credit Suisse for anyone who can't get past the paywall. Piracy, yay!

1678969112134555.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Imagine basing your entire investment and insurance strategy on crypto. What a bunch of fucking loons. Glad to see this shit hit the wall.

Besides, the only reason Silicon Valley Bank crashed is because they put out a tweet going, "We're 2 billion in debt, but don't worry, we'll recover the assets!" Then all their investors pulled out? What the fuck did they think would happen. Rookie bank, making rookie mistakes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
YT is ass, and PBS blocks videos almost everywhere outside the US. Better off sailing the high seas. IMDB says it's S41E10, but the seas say it's S41E06.
Here ya go, haven't watched this yet. Is it any good? With how bad NPR is these days I'm a bit hesitant to expect PBS to do a quality job.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
What people are missing from this situation is that technically SVB did nothing wrong. Fed regulation forced them to buy government bonds to hedge against their tech investments and fed guidance told them that inflation was transitory. The fed then raised the interest rate to curb inflation, effectively gutting the value of the bonds they forced SVB to invest in.
Yeah idk where people are getting SVB's trouble assets being crypto from. I was under the impression they were long-dated T-notes/bonds. I'm not sure they did nothing wrong though. Did regulations force them to hold certain duration paper? I have no idea why they were holding year+ maturity bonds with IRs of ..25%, did they expect negative rates like Japan? Did they think JPow was lying when he said they were going to raise rates a fucking year before they did it? Did they really think inflation was transitory and 0% Fed Funds Rate was here to stay? Why didn't they do what money market funds do and hold short-term duration bonds? As a bank are they allowed to hold interest swap/repurchase contracts like MMFs do (coincidentally no pure-gov MMF has ever blown up)? Sorry for all of the questions, I've been thinking about this for a while and no outlet is being straight with the technicals.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Sorry for all of the questions, I've been thinking about this for a while and no outlet is being straight with the technicals.
You might be able to find some more technical info on ZeroHedge?

Virtual Cafe Awards