Simulation, fake reality, what is all this about?

is the town the forest? is the forest the town? when we were industrial, we talked about releasing pressure, now that we have silicon we talk about simulation. this act of hubris is only facilitated by the disconnect man has from pre-industrial elements (community, extended family, fullfilment) and thus this modern myth was born, but do not believe, this is all nihilist, dust to dust. much love
I agree. Simulation theory is really just another atheist-nihilist cope. It's basically another way of ceding that there is a God (whoever or whatever runs the "simulation" would be akin to god in this scenario), while at the same time proposing that "nothing matters because it's all fake", which encourages the self-destructive ideology of "do as thou wilt". Do whatever you want, because it's all fake anyway, nothing matters, etc. It's all lies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Even materialists are beginning to get how things work- they just have to dress it up in the current year lingo of technology. It's a kind of malicious willful ignorance to keep people stuck in the fedora framework, "Maya".

Virtual Cafe Awards

TamagoSuki

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I agree. Simulation theory is really just another atheist-nihilist cope. It's basically another way of ceding that there is a God (whoever or whatever runs the "simulation" would be akin to god in this scenario), while at the same time proposing that "nothing matters because it's all fake", which encourages the self-destructive ideology of "do as thou wilt". Do whatever you want, because it's all fake anyway, nothing matters, etc. It's all lies.
Great way to put it. Sometimes I will boot up GPT-3 in Python and tinker with it some. Sometimes it makes me feel weird, like a God that is playing with a toy (the AI, who is speaking to me like a child would). And then I think of it a different way: I am tinkering with this artificial intelligience because I want to learn more and become more, I want to push the boundaries of this world.

There is no way an entity could start something like our universe without some sort of intention. I'm just a human, but I understand that there will always be a universal "law", not in a physical means but a mental one. Even if our universe is flawed, everything happens for a reason. There is always a cause and effect in our minds. I'd consider it a fact of conscious thought. Things don't happen without a reason.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Z0diacK

NOT A SCHIZO
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not atheist.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deepwaterjew

Young prophet
Reaction score
Awards
Great way to put it. Sometimes I will boot up GPT-3 in Python and tinker with it some. Sometimes it makes me feel weird, like a God that is playing with a toy (the AI, who is speaking to me like a child would). And then I think of it a different way: I am tinkering with this artificial intelligience because I want to learn more and become more, I want to push the boundaries of this world.

There is no way an entity could start something like our universe without some sort of intention. I'm just a human, but I understand that there will always be a universal "law", not in a physical means but a mental one. Even if our universe is flawed, everything happens for a reason. There is always a cause and effect in our minds. I'd consider it a fact of conscious thought. Things don't happen without a reason.
I saw somewhere, probably on /x/, a crazy simulation theory.
think of an Advanced AI long after its creator's race has passed, now abandoned it's still neural networking shit out. In the infinite time it has inside itself, it figures out a way to entertain itself, it starts simulating a whole reality (this one) just out of pure boredom.
I don't believe in it, but It's interesting to think about. what do you think?

Virtual Cafe Awards

TamagoSuki

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
think of an Advanced AI long after its creator's race has passed, now abandoned it's still neural networking shit out. In the infinite time it has inside itself, it figures out a way to entertain itself, it starts simulating a whole reality (this one) just out of pure boredom.
Well, I've typed this message about 10 times pondering this. So I'll just do a stream of consciousness:

I don't personally ascribe to the theory that organisms that resemble those from our universe could simulate this world, aka the 'matrix theory'. For me it seems as though a higher power has to have created us. If an organism had the power to create the universe they would also have the power to destroy the universe, unless it was bigger than ours. Which leads me to believe this universe HAS to be lesser or simpler than the one "above" it.

When a photon splits it splits into two photons, one with greater energy than the other. I wonder if that could ultimately have been what created the universe? Something similar, such as a universe splitting into two "lesser-powered" worlds with less possible strings than the last.

I do find it interesting to think that a machine could simulate this universe though. Computers, without restrictions, wouldn't really experience time the same as us, they'd experience it at a frequency of their input. I guess given that we could make this computer strong enough we could eventually get something that would look VEEERY close to the universe.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Sorry if it doesn't make much sense, I've been pretty swamped with work this past week :(

edit: a thought: think of it like our brains. We can THINK of different worlds all we want. What actually makes it real?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
reminds me of this classic:
47B11FD3-D520-4FB0-83F2-818B041081E9.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporeon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I would say that I'm about 99% convinced we're in a simulation. I'm still lacking that final thing, whatever it is, to move into compete belief. I'm otherwise an atheist and I do see the parallels between it and a kind of religion. But that's where I'm at.

As far as the nature of the simulation, I think there are a couple of options, none of which I really like. I think that it could be a research project. I think that it could be a game. I guess those are the main ones. The research project could be anything from examining Earth's history either by future humans or another race, to modeling a pandemic, or modeling how people might react to some other event. I'm not really sure. If it's a game, then I might be some kind of npc and the players are either invisible "behind" the simulation controlling it, or they're immersed in the simulation, and the place I call the world is some kind of entertainment for them.

There's the problem of consciousness. I'm aware I'm conscious or that for some reason I have the sensation of being conscious and believe myself to be. What's the purpose of that if it's a research experiment, a model, or a game? Maybe consciousness isn't so hard to model, or it's not too difficult to create npcs that think they are conscious and this also adds something to the game for the amusement of the players? It's also possible that I'm one of the players or researchers and I'm not aware, either because it's part of the game, it's really immersive research, or maybe I am being punished or experimented on in some way. Thinking that is possibly giving myself too much agency, but I don't think I'm the only conscious person, however I also don't believe that everyone in this simulation is equally conscious or conscious at all.

This simulation isn't good, I don't like it and I would like to get out. I've thought that perhaps the simulation is still better than the outside world so maybe I shouldn't want to leave, but I don't think so, I think it would be running a little more smoothly/less crazy if that's the case, and that's why I think it's an experiment or a game. I have no ideas on how to get out. Honestly writing this all out is one idea, maybe the people running the simulation will notice it. Otherwise I don't really know.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

grouse

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Always a fun topic this one.

I used to be a believer in this theory, but now I'm more on the indifferent side. If anything, I'd be more obliged to say it's a simulation of our own creation. That which we manifest in our mind, manifests in our reality and w/e.

But frankly, so what? If since we live in some great computer, biological entity, or energy prison, why does it mean that we can't enjoy out stay? I pose a question. Why do you still live for a future, and dream about one, if you believe that A) in context of this theory, it is insubstantial and meaningless, and B) is nevertheless uncertain in the face of death? Death can and will come at any moment, regardless of the state of the universe, so I say live for your now. If you don't believe in the future, you have total, complete freedom to live for your now. Become a crust punk and ride the rails, go backpacking across the country with nothing but the posessions on your person, fix up an old van and see all the natural wonders we have at our fingertips, that people of yore could only dream of. Buy a sailboat lmao. (Just kidding on that last one)

It's kinda a mass delusion that everything we do is to work for our future. Even in taking the well trodded path of building a career and etc, you are still working for your present. Comfort, health, family, etc, granted many people go about this in an unhealthy way, which is not their fault, it's just the most common thing in this stage of humanity. So, in working for the future, you're working for your now. Why bother continuing your current cycle if your now sucks? Live for the present, as it's something we will always experience, and the only thing we truly have. Always find a way to seek your happiness in the present, and you will live a perfect life. Many people find this happiness in productivity, which is a good example of a healthy present. Many people find it in drugs, an unhealthy present.

Now nihilism, which seems to be a very common theme, if not core tenet in this simulation theory, gets close, but misses the point. This isn't meant as a personal attack, and is said in kindness, but most nihilism is just depression shrouded behind a delusion of intellectualism. It's a mental virus, a cognitohazard that sucks you in. And, as it sucks you in, it becomes harder, and harder, and harder to crawl out of. To the sufferes of this, again, don't take this as a personal attack, it's not your fault. There is nothing to blame. It's like a disease, you can't blame the disease, it simply is. But as it's a disease of the mind, not the body, the immune system will not fight it for you. Only an immunse system of the mind can help.

Meandering like a river lmao, but basically my opinion is thus: If we live in reality, great, it's a perfect opportunity to live your best life. If we live in a simulation, great, it's a perfect opportunity to live your best life. :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

grouse

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
If this is true, then why i cant i summon a big booty bitch on my dick? :confusedMikasa:

This

Also, if it was a game, the players would totally be blasting us left and right. How would quickloads work in reality?

Virtual Cafe Awards

grouse

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
"As for the question of the "origin" of illusion [maya, material reality]
it is among those questions that can be resolved . . . though this resolution cannot be
adjusted to suit all logical needs. . . . The infinitude of Reality implies
the possibility of its own negation and . . . since this negation is not
possible within the Absolute itself, it is necessary that this "possibility
of the impossible" should be realized in an "inward dimension" that is
"neither real nor unreal", a dimension that is real on its own level while
being unreal in respect of the Essence; thus we are everywhere in touch
with the Absolute, from which we cannot emerge but which at the
same time is infinitely distant, no thought ever circumscribing it."

- Frithjof Schuon

"I beheld these others beneath Thee, and saw that they neither altogether
are, nor altogether are not. An existence they have because they
are from Thee; and yet no existence, because they are not what Thou
art. For only that really is that remains unchangeably."

- St. Augustine

We live in the negation of God, being a necessity as the possibility of the impossible.. if we accept that the Absolute manifests infinite possibilities. This is my view anyway, what we have is neither totally unreal or totally real.

+1
Constant duality spreads all the way down, canopy to roots, cannot define the is without the is not.
As much as we are, we reflect a similitude of are not.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
I would say that I'm about 99% convinced we're in a simulation. I'm still lacking that final thing, whatever it is, to move into compete belief. I'm otherwise an atheist and I do see the parallels between it and a kind of religion. But that's where I'm at.

As far as the nature of the simulation, I think there are a couple of options, none of which I really like. I think that it could be a research project. I think that it could be a game. I guess those are the main ones. The research project could be anything from examining Earth's history either by future humans or another race, to modeling a pandemic, or modeling how people might react to some other event. I'm not really sure. If it's a game, then I might be some kind of npc and the players are either invisible "behind" the simulation controlling it, or they're immersed in the simulation, and the place I call the world is some kind of entertainment for them.

There's the problem of consciousness. I'm aware I'm conscious or that for some reason I have the sensation of being conscious and believe myself to be. What's the purpose of that if it's a research experiment, a model, or a game? Maybe consciousness isn't so hard to model, or it's not too difficult to create npcs that think they are conscious and this also adds something to the game for the amusement of the players? It's also possible that I'm one of the players or researchers and I'm not aware, either because it's part of the game, it's really immersive research, or maybe I am being punished or experimented on in some way. Thinking that is possibly giving myself too much agency, but I don't think I'm the only conscious person, however I also don't believe that everyone in this simulation is equally conscious or conscious at all.

This simulation isn't good, I don't like it and I would like to get out. I've thought that perhaps the simulation is still better than the outside world so maybe I shouldn't want to leave, but I don't think so, I think it would be running a little more smoothly/less crazy if that's the case, and that's why I think it's an experiment or a game. I have no ideas on how to get out. Honestly writing this all out is one idea, maybe the people running the simulation will notice it. Otherwise I don't really know.
Either way this game is shit i want "Etierhuman gets bitches" update

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporeon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I agree that the difference between the simulation and "reality" doesn't matter too much. It's where we live regardless of whether it's really "real" and we should make the best of it and our lives. I came to terms with meaninglessness a long time ago, my thoughts and feelings on this simulation are entirely separate from that.

This

Also, if it was a game, the players would totally be blasting us left and right. How would quickloads work in reality?
Maybe they're over in Syria. But don't worry, the WW3 expansion is coming out soon.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
The solution is to find your own solution. What if this is a simulation? What if its not real? What if this is a biosphere and we're being watched like a zoo? What if its a dream?

So what?

Find something you enjoy, do it, let it consume your life, then die.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with "finding meaning".

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
I'll believe we're in a black hole hologram before we're in a full blown simulation.

That being said, an individual can curate and get stuck in their own simulation for various reasons, especially with technology making more "extensions of ourselves" or "amputations from ourselves" or whatever. Choice is yours.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Le simulation I've always found to be a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk tier theory. Redditors will consider a simulation being a thing but refuse any possibility of a God existing lmao.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mauisun_user237

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I agree that simulation theory has turned into kind of a buzzword that gets used too casually in a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk way that sort of deteriorates its meaning, but I have a few thoughts about it. Mainly the Philip K. Dick France press conference about God and the Devil playing chess.

I do think we might live in a mirrored reality where our actions resemble our creator's (man made in the image of God), and programming languages are our "word" (in the beginning was the word/magic) that creates new worlds (God creates God ad infinitum). I can't help but think God wants us to create new worlds and created Satan or evil as a way to give us a sense of balance (God doesn't make mistakes) so that we don't just create a virtual world and immediately go overboard and die from astonishment or excess (forgetting that we have bodies in the material plane, therefore crashing the entire system). I think this is why the bible prohibits magic as it can create an imbalance in reality's programming. There are also non-physical initiation programs called "Aethyrs" that you can go to on the astral plane to get better at creating reality in a more balanced way. Or I'm just completely wrong.

Virtual Cafe Awards