Skullduggery Pleasant

• Thread starter Jade
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 395 times.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Anyone else ever read this? I found it at the local library as a kid and for years I thought it was some kind of fever dream until I rediscovered it just recently.
9780008248789_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

The spell where as you get closer you want the book less always felt a bit weak to me as a kid cause I remember coming up with all kinds of ways I might be able to circumvent it. Like it only activates when you get close to it, so if you stay far away enough and use those grabby things you use to reach cereal boxes on the top shelf, you might be able to take it somewhere else where you could hide it until you found a way to undo the spell. Or you could use something without the ability to "want", like a remote controlled robot car, to get the book, and then read it through filming the pages and turning them via mechanical contraptions and then reading the words off a screen. Or you could do away with robot car and just use magic to point a video camera so it's hovering above the book, then use magic to flip through the pages of the book so the camera records them, then go home and review the footage at your leisure.

It was a fun read though. Apparently this got made into a whole series but I didn't know that until just a few weeks ago, they only had the first one at the library.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I read most of the books as a kid but most of them were rented or i sold them soo i don't remember which ones i have read, if i find a active torrent i might reread it in english. I liked it soo much i remember pulling a allnighter to finish the book, going to school, sleeping the whole day and in my way back buying the second book. I have the first book, "don't play with fire" and "dark days"(they are probably named differently but thats how they named them in turkish) at hand but i don't remember their stories at all, i just remember them being great.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Anyone else ever read this? I found it at the local library as a kid and for years I thought it was some kind of fever dream until I rediscovered it just recently.
View attachment 53384

The spell where as you get closer you want the book less always felt a bit weak to me as a kid cause I remember coming up with all kinds of ways I might be able to circumvent it. Like it only activates when you get close to it, so if you stay far away enough and use those grabby things you use to reach cereal boxes on the top shelf, you might be able to take it somewhere else where you could hide it until you found a way to undo the spell. Or you could use something without the ability to "want", like a remote controlled robot car, to get the book, and then read it through filming the pages and turning them via mechanical contraptions and then reading the words off a screen. Or you could do away with robot car and just use magic to point a video camera so it's hovering above the book, then use magic to flip through the pages of the book so the camera records them, then go home and review the footage at your leisure.

It was a fun read though. Apparently this got made into a whole series but I didn't know that until just a few weeks ago, they only had the first one at the library.
I reread the first book again, as good as i remember it to be. I have the second book which i will read in the coming days, did you find the other books?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I reread the first book again, as good as i remember it to be. I have the second book which i will read in the coming days, did you find the other books?
I found them online only just last year. I dunno if it's worth buying them all, but if I ever come across 'em at a library or something I might check 'em out!

Virtual Cafe Awards
I found them online only just last year. I dunno if it's worth buying them all, but if I ever come across 'em at a library or something I might check 'em out!
I will read the second one and the other ones i have stacked somewhere as their line comes and i am between buying them in turkish locally or pirating them in english, i kinda want to read them in its native language, not turkish.

Virtual Cafe Awards