So... Bluey

• Thread starter Deleted member 3373
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1643 times.

Do you watch Bluey?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 3373

I've recently been getting spammed by videos relating to an Australian pre-schoolers cartoon known as Bluey. In a situation similar to the brony trend of the early 2010s a lot of adults without children are regularly watching this programme. Whereas MLP was aimed at a more general children's demographic (4-11) this show is primarily aimed at pre-schoolers which (to me at least) makes this trend perhaps even stranger than the my little pony trend. I'm making this thread cause I'd like to know if anyone here is one of these people or if anyone has any insight into what exactly is going on here.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
never heard of it

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
da ba dee da ba die?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
I was wondering about this too. I saw a few videos on Youtube about this. It is pretty odd.

My kid sister had it on on the living room TV once when I was back home a few months ago and I tuned into a bit of it as hearing Australian accents on American childrens programming is fairly rare. Seemed like a pretty wholesome show to me. Probably better than 95% of the garbage kids watch nowadays. I'm not sure what adults would find so riveting about it though.

I think in some respects it perhaps ought to illicit a small amount of concern for the psychological state of a growing number of adults. It just seems as though a lot of rather infantile things are being appropriated for adult consumption these days. (See the false sanitization of the internet thread).

I think perhaps it is something that feeds off itself. In that if no adults watched the show then other adults would be deterred from watching it. However, when a small adult fanbase develops it in essence makes it more acceptable in the minds of other adults to then watch the show.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Iommi Fan 420

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.fbi.gov
I've recently been getting spammed by videos relating to an Australian pre-schoolers cartoon known as Bluey. In a situation similar to the brony trend of the early 2010s a lot of adults without children are regularly watching this programme. Whereas MLP was aimed at a more general children's demographic (4-11) this show is primarily aimed at pre-schoolers which (to me at least) makes this trend perhaps even stranger than the my little pony trend. I'm making this thread cause I'd like to know if anyone here is one of these people or if anyone has any insight into what exactly is going on here.
Australia doesn't exist.

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
havent watched it myself but i honestly wouldnt be opposed to it, seems like a pretty decent kids show and at least it seems better than most other stuff on tv rn :p as far as why its so popular outside of its target demographic, probably just because it has pretty decent writing and an interesting premise, which is more than most tv shows (including ones made for a more mature audience)

Virtual Cafe Awards

DOOM95.EXE

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I once went to a house party in which the host's roommate was watching this show in the living room. I stood around for about a minute and asked him why he's watching it since it seemed incredibly juvenile and obviously aimed at very young children (nursery & pre-K levels). He told me it was a wholesome show and that the characters were positive role models. It struck me as strange since this was coming from a 30-something year old man who was dressed in his pajamas at 3 in the afternoon. I asked if he wanted to join the others in the kitchen and garage for the party, but he said no. This should explain the show's adult demographic.

From the 45 seconds or so I've seen, it seems just like a typical cartoon for toddlers with no deeper meaning or innuendo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

I've heard that the show isn't as pozzed as other kids shows
havent watched it myself but i honestly wouldnt be opposed to it, seems like a pretty decent kids show and at least it seems better than most other stuff on tv rn :p as far as why its so popular outside of its target demographic, probably just because it has pretty decent writing and an interesting premise, which is more than most tv shows (including ones made for a more mature audience)
I mean perhaps but surely there is other stuff to be watched besides a pre-school show? Or have we sunk to that level? Where entertainment is so tainted that the only thing left is a pre-school show?

I must admit I am increasingly inclined to believe that this is the case.

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
I mean perhaps but surely there is other stuff to be watched besides a pre-school show? Or have we sunk to that level? Where entertainment is so tainted that the only thing left is a pre-school show?

I must admit I am increasingly inclined to believe that this is the case.
unironically yes to both of these XD

Virtual Cafe Awards

Screen.Thief

Agora Road Beachcomber
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
My Gf a few years ago would watch it with her nephew when it was new. So then fast forward 2-3 years and I mentioned it to my niece to watch; worst mistake ever. Now she watches it religiously and those Aussie accents are so impressionable on little kids, she'll say some shit like "zed" and "mate" it was funny the first time, But damn; I feel bad for introducing her to the show. It does have genuine morals and lessons, and it's not filled with subliminal crap like other shows aimed at the demographic. But The same voice actors and characters really just get annoying sometimes.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: eve

Deleted member 3373

My Gf a few years ago would watch it with her nephew when it was new. So then fast forward 2-3 years and I mentioned it to my niece to watch; worst mistake ever. Now she watches it religiously and those Aussie accents are so impressionable on little kids, she'll say some shit like "zed" and "mate" it was funny the first time, But damn; I feel bad for introducing her to the show. It does have genuine morals and lessons, and it's not filled with subliminal crap like other shows aimed at the demographic. But The same voice actors and characters really just get annoying sometimes.
I am British and I highly approve of the use of the words zed and mate. Good job Bluey.

Deleted member 3373

I guess I should update this thread. I have since watched a few episodes of it and the best way I can describe it is that it's sort of like those YouTube family vlog videos except somehow less obnoxious and less boring. Yeah I will give it credit where it's due it generally is well made for what it is. But the idea of a bunch of adults taking it super seriously is still perplexing.

Although I will admit if I had to pick between this and the newest Marvel film I would actually pick this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never see either, but from all accounts Bluey is more honest about it does than the MCU is.

The development of cradle-to-grave brand loyalty has been building mass infantilization in the developed world longer than 99% of people have been alive.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The thing about MLP and other kids shows of similar caliber that take off among the Extremely Online that you have to remember is that they are deeply unironic and uncynical when everything else in the surrounding culture is saturated with irony and cynicism. This is why the entire brony phenomenon started in imageboard land and it's neighboring communities - at first everyone watched it "ironically" but then got caught up in it's deeply uncynical "honesty". It was an escape from that world they didn't know they needed.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

We now have two votes for yes. Which means there are two fans on the forum. To them I say come on out. No bully, I promise.