So you want to be introduced to Vaporwave.

Deleted member 2362

I keep seeing many users who discovered Agora Road through the usual means (D.I.T., referrals, ads) yet are unknowing of this site's roots as a Vaporwave related site. In a recent thread some of them were asking how to get into Vaporwave in order to better contribute to this facet of the site (if you desire so). Well, let's help them shall we?

Let's begin with the first method.

1. Nightwave Plaza
Just like many guys here don't know there's a subforum index (you just need to scroll down and pay attention to the nice images, although Pirate is working on an interface reshuffling), there seems to be a big chunk of users who are unaware that there's a Vaporwave radio station embedded in the forum. Just click on the 'Chat' tab at the top of the page and you'll be greeted with a small frame containing the Nightwave Plaza. Click 'Play' and enjoy, it's literally the easiest method to get acquainted with the genre, and as a bonus you can talk with us too. Alternatively, you can directly go to the source site which is https://plaza.one/ or download one of the mobile apps for iOS and Android.

"But I want to discover the classics first!". Well, worry not, dear Agorian.

2. Essential works charts
There are a few to get you started with the founding works and classics of the genre. You have a few options; You can begin with the newbie friendly chart posted by our leader in this very forum: A Starter's Guide to Vaporwave by EARFEEDER, a flowchart with plenty of descriptions and subgenre explanations. Want more? take the seminal Ultra Guide which encompasses prominent releases from Vaporwave's first era (2010-14), or its complementary Nu Guide, following the works of the next two years, or the extensive Lucid Archive which features a selected yearly list until 2020. Don't forget to check LOAK2K, dedicated to missing, lost and forgotten releases, with some gems in it.

"Ok, but now I want to know the latest releases!". Well, worry not, dear Agorian.

3. Discovering new releases
Damn, you really want to be spoonfed do you? Other than checking this site's vaporwave forums, the rest of the work is up to you. You can check specific record labels dedicated to the genre, as well as checking the discover feature of Bandcamp with plenty of filters: https://bandcamp.com/tag/vaporwave. Or you can submit yourself to the satanic algorithm of Youtube. Either way it's up to you. Don't forget to enjoy and don't be a snob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
This site has been a gateway into Vaporwave for me and I really appreciate the hard work everyone.

For new people looking for some good jams, I really can't recommend EARFEEDER's infographic enough. It helped me find niches I didn't even know existed and that I now greatly enjoy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Yo where is @vaporwavemaster1 when you need him? He put some new stuff out relatively recently, pretty out there but I liked it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm not trying to blow up his spot but, I peek at his profile here and there and he's definitely signing into his account regularly

I would add, to discover new vapor -- follow record labels ("net labels") on bandcamp! I have an email filter set up to send all of my bandcamp emails into the same folder, so I'm not completely flooded with emails, but I have discovered a plethora of great music that I otherwise would have never even been made aware of

Also, follow Vapor Memory on YouTube. I'll frequently click on artwork that I like and click around the album to see if I like it. I get pissy if I love it and go looking for a tape and it either never got pressed or it's sold out (alright, not actually that pissy)

Some tape releases I've picked up that I've found this way --

I just really enjoy this album, and the artwork caught my eye:

View: https://mypetflamingo.bandcamp.com/album/groot-in-belgi

This album brings back a whole lot of memories from the Napster, Kazaa, and subsequent LimeWire days:

View: https://mypetflamingo.bandcamp.com/album/still-on-the-lime

Artwork really caught my eye hear, and it's a great listen:

View: https://av-0.bandcamp.com/album/dreamtime-reset

I will always check out anything No Problema puts out, and this comes relatively close to the feel of BOaND to me. The tape doesn't sound as good as the digital, imo, though:

View: https://noproblematapes.bandcamp.com/album/neon-dream

Follow No Problema, follow My Pet Flamingo, and follow Cityman Productions

And do yourself a favor and poke around 猫 シ Corp.'s albums. I would consider Hiraeth to be another vapor essential. I would imagine that 猫 シ Corp. has several albums in the above album lists

I am personally a DDS stan and ITLLT is frequently listed as the starting point for vapor, and for good reason! But, don't sleep on their other albums. If you love the glitchiness in ITLLT, I'm in the same boat as you and I wish they kept moving in this direction, but fear not! Keith Rankin has put out two banger DDS mixtape releases, one being Faith in Persona, which make it really obvious where much of the omnipresent ITLLT "sound" and "feel" came from (that is not to understate James' contributions, of course; his sound can also be heard, and his releases are consistently top-notch as well) (edit: to be clear, Tech Honors has a phenomenal track record as well; he just didn't contribute to ITLLT. I didn't want to leave him out, lol)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Lucid Archive which features a selected yearly list until 2020. Don't forget to check LOAK2K, dedicated to missing, lost and forgotten releases, with some gems in it.

Lucid Archive which features a selected yearly list until 2020. Don't forget to check LOAK2K, dedicated to missing, lost and forgotten releases, with some gems in it.

Virtual Cafe Awards