Soma's Challenge

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Update for anyone who cares, I've kept working on the projects albeit I haven't been able to complete the hour or so I set as a goal. I've been studying loomis and working on whatever I can on the video, though not much as I've had some trouble recording audio. As soon as I get out of crunch hopefully I'll be back at full swing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3981

Update for anyone who cares, I've kept working on the projects albeit I haven't been able to complete the hour or so I set as a goal. I've been studying loomis and working on whatever I can on the video, though not much as I've had some trouble recording audio. As soon as I get out of crunch hopefully I'll be back at full swing.
Hope things get better soon, Soma. If you're looking for accountability, I don't mind posting my daily sketches, though most of them are just drawabox exercises.
Best of luck PepSiDawgwitcan

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Heya friends. Sorry for the radio silence. Before I explain myself, let me show you what I've been doing.

1) I've been working on 2 minute figure drawing sessions every day for about 30 mins to an hour. (Favorite part of my day rn)
Here's some examples:

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-13 at 11.01.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-13 at 11.01.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-13 at 11.01.20 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-13 at 11.01.20.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-13 at 11.01.21.jpeg

As you can see, some are good, some are not. They're all done quickly, as the exercise is supposed to be in 2 mins (sometimes I take a bit more). I currently don't know anything concrete about anatomy, but thanks to drawabox I have a decent feel for construction. This exercise has been helping me in my observation and construction skills while giving me the fundamentals of rhythm, exaggeration, line of action and expression. Its fun stuff!

2) The video is progressing. S L O W L Y. If anyone wants to see a demo, you can watch it here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rekJ45UvS1Y

I've been getting some very positive feedback on my last one, which is pushing me forwards to get into it more.

3) I recently got paid and I got the 200$ USD stashed away. Because you know, I've certainly failed my bet but Illu is too kind to demand payment for it. I should probably pay him around now :AquaCry:

Now, the excuses. Why did I stop updating? Quite simply, my meds made me an anxious, depressive wreck (we're all mentally unstable here, right?). It has been a shit couple of weeks that have jeopardized my work, my academic performance, and of course this bet.

Anyhow, now that that period has been left behind (I hope), I might get back onto the daily updates.
Thanks for coming by @Jessica3cho, @MiracleWhipe

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Day 31

First of all. THE DEBT HAS BEEN PAID.

That's right, there's no more monetary incentive for this. So from now on I'll continue to update the days that I progress in my goals, because its was super motivanting to have the support of the comunity and I also got some good adivce out of it. I'll keep it up as long as I can.

Given my current circumstances, a daily update is gonna be hard, but I'm gonna wake up early and cash in the hours as often as I can.

Here's today's progress then!

Drawing

Butts.jpeg

I'm getting better at drawing boobs and butts lmao. After some more grinding on quicksketch I think I'll be studying mannequinization.

Youtube

Did some voicework today. Tomorrow I'll start editing a new scene.

Virtual Cafe Awards

saintdinnah

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Day 31

First of all. THE DEBT HAS BEEN PAID.

That's right, there's no more monetary incentive for this. So from now on I'll continue to update the days that I progress in my goals, because its was super motivanting to have the support of the comunity and I also got some good adivce out of it. I'll keep it up as long as I can.

Given my current circumstances, a daily update is gonna be hard, but I'm gonna wake up early and cash in the hours as often as I can.

Here's today's progress then!

Drawing

View attachment 23142

I'm getting better at drawing boobs and butts lmao. After some more grinding on quicksketch I think I'll be studying mannequinization.

Youtube

Did some voicework today. Tomorrow I'll start editing a new scene.
You drawin' dat asssss.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
You looked into Andrew Loomis' books yet? Good stuff, think you'll find them useful.
Yes, his methods seem really good. So far I've only really practiced his head contruction method, which was awesome for me. I might check out his book on figure drawing later.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Day 33

I've been following Proko's figure drawing course, which has been excellent. Right now I'm drawing BEANS used as a simplification of the human torso. This exercise will help me add dimension and express motion better when drawing humans.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

As for the video side of things I spent some good three hours editing. I'm having fun with this one and just letting myself run wild, I've learned that that's the way you should do things if you're selling entertainment. If you're not having fun you're gonna have a hard time making someone else laugh, right?

Progress.PNG

Virtual Cafe Awards
As for the video side of things I spent some good three hours editing. I'm having fun with this one and just letting myself run wild, I've learned that that's the way you should do things if you're selling entertainment. If you're not having fun you're gonna have a hard time making someone else laugh, right?
Spot on man. Not just with comedy, but in general if you're not enjoying what you're doing it's going to be hard for other people to enjoy it as well

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Day 34
Not actually day 34 because I've kept working, but it has been more like a little progress here and there so whatever.

Drawing
I have drawn a lot of beans for human torsos and right now I'm learning a little anatomy as to better understand the landmarks of the human body. It'll take a bit to really internalize this knowledge. I've been using Proko's material to study, as he is really good at explaining these, and I also bought myself a random book about the topic, which I found on a local bookstore. It remains to be seen if that one is any useful.

Video Editing
I've been having a lot of fun editing here and there. Recently I've gotten myself familiarized with the liquify tool, and have used it to give 2d images the illusion of 3d rotation. Fun stuff! I'm nowhere near as proficient as this guy, but here's the idea:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP8OaGisJr0&ab_channel=AnthonyPossobon

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
Incredible, they pay more attention to the lewd figure than to the fact soma's got the anatomy, proportions and dimensions right (except the legs and the feet, they need some polish). I feels ya, bro; back then when I drawed that character whose name begins with P and ends with gora for the first time nobody paid attention to my great drawing skills they only focused on the figure itself. It was disappointing for me as an artist.

Virtual Cafe Awards