Something fishy is going on with the coronavirus mutation rate

Minusfourty

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Someone posted this article the other day into the thread The Implications of Omicron, and the numbers just seemed off. 46 Mutations for a variant didn't sound right. So I looked into it, and it is most certainly not right.
With the initial wuhan variant of the coronavirus, the mutation rate was calculated to be 1x10^-6, or around a 3rd of the flu's at 3x10^-5 (1). For reference, this translates to aroud 40-50 mutations per year (2).Apparently the flu's rate is already a bit high, which is why it has stuck around for so long, so 1/3 seems reasonable. But the virus is far from reasonable. Around August 2020, the alpha variant was discovered, with 13 new mutations(3). This would line up with the previous estimates, around 1/3rd of the flu's yearly rate. But wait, there's more. Also in august 2020, the beta variant was discovered. This one had another 10 mutations, bringing the total up to 23.
"Uh, it's probably not a problem, probably, but I'm showing a small discrepancy in... well, no, it's well within acceptable bounds again. Sustaining sequence."
In early 2021, the gamma variant was discovered. Relatively consistent with the first 2, it had 10 mutations, three of which were nearly identical to the beta variant. This brings the total up to 30. Delta was discovered around late 2020, but was named around early 2021. It has around 13-17 mutations, depending on the source used, That brings to total to around 45 in the course of a year. And then there was omicron. It was discovered in late November 2021, with a whopping 50 new mutations, making it 70 times as transmissible. In scientific terms, that is very big. Delta was around 40% more transmissible, and that was already surprising. This would also bring the mutation total up to around 95 in about 14 months, around 200% the rate of the flu, which would be a rate of around 81 per year or nearly 600% the initial mutation rate. But just a few days ago, france found a variant with another 46 new mutations. That would bring the total up to 140 within 16 months, leading to a rate of 107 per year, or 269% of the flu's yearly rate. This puts it at EIGHT HUNDRED PERCENT the mutation rate of the wuhan strain.

I don't know what's going on here, but in the words of PeanutButterGamer:
This is not a normal!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
These new variants with huge numbers of mutations are for sure lab-made. Gotta keep pumping out reasons for new vaccines, gotta keep up those lockdowns, gotta sustain the fear. This pandemic may have been an accident at the start, but it sure as hell isn't now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I am not surprised. Viruses do change to increase their genetic fitness. Only the best covid strain survives and spreads rapidly by outrunning weaker more dangerous covid mutations. If anything, a high mutation rate and a high infection rate is just the thing we want to see as it will ensure that anyone it meets will become rapidly immunized against future strains.

If people really are developing new strains it is very difficult to know if they are since the virus is so transmissible. Could the mutation rate accelerate given the virus is adapting to the challenge from the vaccines?

We will have to wait and see. Hopefully fate is on our side and we don't roll into an actually potent and deadly mutation.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Could the mutation rate accelerate given the virus is adapting to the challenge from the vaccines?
Yes, that's likely. The issue here isn't the increasing mutation rate, but rather the unnatural pattern of mutations and gaps between strains.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
Are you guys really this fucking retarded... you're trying to sound smart talking about viruses but don't even understand basic virology. Typical college kids.... this forum is being over run with edgy normies.

• Viruses cannot enter through the skin or eyes. Such vectors do not work because the mucus membranes and the immune system discard small amounts of foreign proteins such as viruses.

• Viruses do not 'exist' outside of petri-dish solutions or a living body.

• Viruses cannot function without a host cell that manufactures them and encodes them, and viruses cannot replicate without a host cell.

• Viruses do not 'infect' or 'invade' cells. They are not alive to do so in the first place. Viruses almost never dissolve living tissue, unless in specific circumstances such as polio and degenerative nervous system diseases where metal toxicity is present.

• Viruses' primary function is to dissolve dead matter.

• Cells produce different viral strains depending on the condition of the tissue involved.

• There are 320,000 viral strains inherent to the human body, and each cell contains the viral protein makeup to manufacture each strain when the body calls for it.

• Viruses are sequenced/encoded by blood cells via RNA/DNA to break down specific dead and dying tissue and waste. Viruses are very specific protein structures.

• Coughing, sneezing, and spitting is not a vector for the transmission of viruses. Saliva and mucus membranes break down any such particles. Skin is not a vector either because viruses cannot cross dead skin layers.

• The only way to get a virus outside of natural means is via direct injection (vaccine) or blood transfusions of a patient who has a virus. However, in such cases, the body only analyzes it as foreign tissue that must be eliminated. Since the virus did not originate within the bodily host, that body does not know the time and place that the virus will be active nor does it have the key to decode it (RNA or DNA encoded by the cell) and cannot find the time of its activity. As such, it is analyzed as a foreign substance that must be eliminated. Protein solvents (viruses) are manufactured of varying strengths to discard this waste if living microbes cannot eliminate it.

• Viruses are a result of internal toxicity caused by the environment. Viruses are cyclical in animals. Viruses feed upon waste products in the blood and tissue. Throughout the year, upon season and climatic/temperature changes, the body will dump mass amounts of toxins into the blood for removal. Some of these toxins are so toxic in nature, such as mercury, formaldehyde, and other chemical byproducts, that living microbes cannot feed upon and eliminate them without dying. Non-living proteins are then manufactured by each cell in the corresponding location of the body where this cleansing is necessary. Those toxic substances are disassembled and broken down by viruses so that the body can eliminate them, restoring homeostasis.

• The only way viruses can be used as biological weapons is via injection, period. It is possible that such man-made viral strains are included in regular existing vaccines, and this should not be ruled out as a possibility, but as previously stated, viral strains from outside the body are not recognized. However, man-made substances that are injected can be designed to provoke extreme reactions in humans via various levels of tissue sterilization and adjuvants.

• Viruses cannot cross-species ie; from animal to mankind. It is impossible for humans to develop animal flus— A. Because viruses are not contagious, and, B. Because animal RNA/DNA is not compatible with human RNA/DNA. The only way animal tissue can be observed in the blood is through injection of animal tissues, which make their way to the blood, bypassing the digestive tract. Only then will swine tissue, or bird tissue, or any such animal tissue appear in the body. When animal meat is consumed by a human, it is converted into human tissue. Human cells cannot produce animal cells or viruses. If we develop viruses, they are human viruses. Even if animal viruses 'hijacked' human cells, human cells cannot possibly produce animal viruses.

"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and it's speaker a raving lunatic."

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and it's speaker a raving lunatic."
lmao

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
This virus is very shady. New mutations, new vaccines, the same lockdowns being lifted, then restored, over and over. Trust the science of the same fools that keep doing the same thing over and over. Comply over and over. And when you do not they unleash the hounds. I told my family I would not get vaccinated and they treated me like a lunatic, saying it wouldn't put a chip inside of me as if I said that, accusing me of believing in conspiracy theories that I never mentioned nor believed in.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm pretty sure these variants are real (very likely lab made considering those ungodly mutations) but are just milked to oblivion to sustain the climate of fear and justify violations of freedom. And plus, they are less and less dangerous each time, since a virus that kills its host can't spread anymore after that, so there is no logical reason for their "omg we don't know if this variant is more dangerous!!!" ofc it is less dangerous, that's how viruses work. Some of our common colds used to be nasty back then. Hell even Spanish flu is still around and yet it's a regular flu now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Covid very likely is now a regular cold or will shortly become one. Once the nonsense becomes too much to bear there will be repercussions. People wont get elected, people will lose credibility, and hopefully fauci will end up in jail where he belongs.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cammell

Poltergeist
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't hear anyone talking about the virus in a minute

I don't think it is as dangerous as you put it out, I don't even know if there are lock downs anywhere now

The topic is trending no more