Strange Telephone Calls

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 7109 times.

Unexplained telephone calls seem to intersect the mundane and paranormal. It seems like everyone has at least one story about a "weird" phone call. A friend of mine would get calls from a guy who spoke in a drawn out creepy voice. All he would say is "I'm the snake killer." over and over. Could've been a prank but it went on for ages.

Personally mine is not too terribly strange. In 2007 I received a phone call at 2:00am. There was nothing but very, very harsh static sounds on the receiving end. It was somewhat like a fax machine but much more abrasive. It really disturbed me at first but I let the call go on trying to discern if it was just some kind of really bad interference. I finally hung up. However, the number called right back within seconds. There used to be many videos on YouTube of calls like these but they seem to gone now.

Have you or anyone you know experienced any strange or paranormal phone calls?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I almost never answer numbers I don't know, and when I do, it's almost exclusively about my car's extended warranty.
Sims prank calls were pretty spooky though.
prank.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

I've been getting this spam call for the past 10 years from various different numbers that simply has a robotic male voice saying "Hello, is Mary there?" and then static. I used to get calls from a really frantic-sounding person asking if I was okay, I didn't know them or recognize their voice, they didn't know my name or anything, they just really wanted to make sure I was alright. They always sounded terrified and stressed out. I blocked the number at some point.

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I've been getting this spam call for the past 10 years from various different numbers that simply has a robotic male voice saying "Hello, is Mary there?" and then static. I used to get calls from a really frantic-sounding person asking if I was okay, I didn't know them or recognize their voice, they didn't know my name or anything, they just really wanted to make sure I was alright. They always sounded terrified and stressed out. I blocked the number at some point.
Sounds like maybe your number was confused for an old woman's or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Apparently the "Is Mary there?" one is a common spam call, but I don't understand the goal of it because it doesn't lead into anything.
Huh. That's super weird considering that it can only be successful if the person's name just so happens to be Mary, and even then it's a pretty slim chance.

Virtual Cafe Awards
. I used to get calls from a really frantic-sounding person asking if I was okay, I didn't know them or recognize their voice, they didn't know my name or anything, they just really wanted to make sure I was alright. They always sounded terrified and stressed out. I blocked the number at some point.

That's really unsettling. Something about the lack of context in wrong numbers is really strange and hard to articulate for me. It's very creepy.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
When I was working in Canada and called my wife in the UK, sometimes I used to talk to her for about 5 minutes then the call would cut out and when I redialed it would repeat the last conversation we had but only what she said. Not really paranormal..but creepy none the less. When it first happened I thought I was stuck in a time loop or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards
When I was working in Canada and called my wife in the UK, sometimes I used to talk to her for about 5 minutes then the call would cut out and when I redialed it would repeat the last conversation we had but only what she said. Not really paranormal..but creepy none the less. When it first happened I thought I was stuck in a time loop or something.
That's really, really weird. I wonder what caused that. So your voice was just completely removed from the conversation but hers wasn't? Man, phones are fucked.

Virtual Cafe Awards
That's really, really weird. I wonder what caused that. So your voice was just completely removed from the conversation but hers wasn't? Man, phones are fucked.
Yh I could hear what she said in the last conversation but not what I said, and on her side it was just nothing, she couldn't hear anything but it did ring through her phone like any other call. I found out the reason near the time but couldn't find the answers when I just looked it up. The reason was just a phone *glitch*

Virtual Cafe Awards

isolation suite

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
theres always an element of mystery surrounding telephones, nobody knows whos ringing unless you have caller id or you're expecting a phone call otherwise it's a set of numbers which can be a bit eerie given the circumstances of who or what may be behind the line. there have been reports of people hearing disembodied voices amougst feedback, vague messages and in some cases messages from recently deceased loved ones leaving something behind to comfort one of their close relatives before going on to the other side

not only receiving calls but also phoning certain numbers which leave you with a cryptic message or a novelty voicemails that make you shudder, people have built myths and rumours around numbers which only adds to the mystery. sadly they're growing all the more obsolite as the years pass and i doubt that many of them are active or will be for any longer.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Zakura

not a visitor from outer space
Reaction score
Awards
Since I've gotten a new SIM card, weird phone calls is something I experience weekly. I know this could be boiled down to someone having the same number before me, canceling their SIM card and getting a new one and their relatives don't know their new number. The main problem is that once someone is asking me if I'm their brother, the other time someone was asking if I'm "Sylvia". So it can't be someone's family, it's all different people.
I even got a phone call from a hospital in Texas (I live in Central Europe).
At first I thought it was because someone gave out my number as a prank, but that phone call from Texas really set me off. I didn't pick it up, I just googled the number.
We still have a landline and for a week straight we got calls in Mandarin and Cantonese. Someone also used by mom's number to order stuff, but we don't know who. And all of this starts happening right after I got a new SIM card.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Since I've gotten a new SIM card, weird phone calls is something I experience weekly. I know this could be boiled down to someone having the same number before me, canceling their SIM card and getting a new one and their relatives don't know their new number. The main problem is that once someone is asking me if I'm their brother, the other time someone was asking if I'm "Sylvia". So it can't be someone's family, it's all different people.
I even got a phone call from a hospital in Texas (I live in Central Europe).
At first I thought it was because someone gave out my number as a prank, but that phone call from Texas really set me off. I didn't pick it up, I just googled the number.
We still have a landline and for a week straight we got calls in Mandarin and Cantonese. Someone also used by mom's number to order stuff, but we don't know who. And all of this starts happening right after I got a new SIM card.
That's really strange and seems too coincidental. Admittedly my knowledge of cellphone tech is definitely lacking but maybe it's time to change SIM cards again?

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
残念ながら、不気味な電話は受けたことがありません。今日、電話の可能性を理解している人はほとんどいません。電話を使えば、誰でもあなたの指先にいます。不気味な電話が近年減少している理由の一部は、警察が不気味なインターネットの投稿よりも不気味な電話を真剣に受け止めているためだと思います。インターネットに不気味なものを投稿するよりも、不気味な電話をかけると刑務所に入る可能性が高くなります。人々は電話をインターネットよりも現実の生活だと考えています。

あなたが不気味な電話店が好きなら、私は彼女の死んだ息子から電話を受ける女性についてのトワイライトゾーンのこのエピソードを提案します。ひどく恐ろしい

0_xfKtMuhEuhpzbAzj.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

That1Producer

universal truth seeker, also part time producer
Reaction score
Awards
Got some hella weird voicemails a year back in mandarin but the time I did dial back I found it was bank of america or their debt collectors trynna get their shit, not even from me but from somebody else my house so I told them not to pay the collectors and sure enough the messages in mandarin stopped. Guess some weird spooky shit ends in the most anti-climatic ways.

Virtual Cafe Awards
the weirdest call i ever got was some dude that called me asking for a pizza, possibly confusing my number for one owned by a local pizza joint. he called three times in the span of half and hour annoying asking me to make him a pizza. the last call consisted of me seeing the same number call again, me picking up the phone, yelling "yousa bitch", and hanging up. pretty sure he got the idea after that because he stopped calling.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Zakura

not a visitor from outer space
Reaction score
Awards
That's really strange and seems too coincidental. Admittedly my knowledge of cellphone tech is definitely lacking but maybe it's time to change SIM cards again?
I don't know. I've tried to research phantom phone calls, I ended up on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk and someone said that the truth behind phantom phonecalls would make you question the whole reality. Too bad the person never posted the source.

Virtual Cafe Awards
When I get random calls I look up the phone number on a spam checker if I don't answer it, and usually it's pretty benign just "yeah this is a bot call" but I saw this today and it's fucking terrifying?
View attachment 5398
holy shit. what's a terrifying ordeal. Make sure you block that number. Or record it the next time they call and post it here lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Listening