Strange Telephone Calls

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 7106 times.

Man, I wish I received calls from unknown numbers sending me vague threats of my impending death, which are connected in some way to secret organizations, John McAfee, and/or paranormal entities...:YouMadeMeCry:
Gangstalking is a serious issue :elonHigh:

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
Mostly chinese ladies speaking on the other end for me lmao

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Got some hella weird voicemails a year back in mandarin but the time I did dial back I found it was bank of america or their debt collectors trynna get their shit, not even from me but from somebody else my house so I told them not to pay the collectors and sure enough the messages in mandarin stopped. Guess some weird spooky shit ends in the most anti-climatic ways.
Same bro, they all in mandain lmao.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I've gotten the Chinese stuff too occasionally. Another story I remembered was when I was at my first uni. I wanted to order some Chinese food and so I looked up the number and manually dialed it into my slide phone and hit call. It rang and rang and went to voicemail. Now I was kind of annoyed bc cmon, pick up your phone for your customers. So I called again, same thing. And again. No change. I called one more time and the line had been completely terminated. At this point I'm very pissed bc I just want my food so I look at the number and realize I dialed it in wrong. Very similar to the restaurant but like 2 numbers were swapped. So after dialing it in correctly I ordered my food and was left wondering who exactly I had tried to call (I'm pretty sure I was worried that I had accidentally called up a number of someone in the mafia in this town, yes there was one). Well 5 minutes later my phone starts ringing and it's a hidden number. For the sake of this story I wish I had picked up the phone but I was pretty freaked out that I had accidentally done something dangerous so I let it ring through and thankfully that was that. I have no doubt that whoever tried to call me was affiliated with that number I was dialing but whether it was some gov. operative, the mafia, or just some paranoid schizo is unknown.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Closest I've got was for awhile I was receiving voicemails from someone who would always leave a message that said "Hi, I'm Amy" said in the exact same way every single time. This call would always come early in the morning when I was asleep so I had never picked it up until one morning where the ringtone from my phone actually got me out of slumber. Up to this point I had assumed this was some sort of robo-call, so in my half-asleep state I replied to the "Hi, I'm Amy" with "Hello Robot". Her reply back was "Is there something wrong with my voice" in a very hurt tone before hanging up.

Never found out who that person was, but oh man do I think I ruined their day.

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I just started getting these recently. Phone just rings and there's like a two minute recording of some lady talking mandarin.
Exactly! Especially when you have a new number.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
The Dead Air Scam

For several months last year I would occasionally get phone calls and voicemails that were just a minute plus of flowing water sounds, like someone holding a phone to a river. All from central CA, all from disconnected numbers. Weird stuff!
I know what this is!!! Here's the deal:

People would get phone calls which had nothing but "dead air" - that is to say, something that sounds like it wasn't meant to be recorded. Voices at a basketball game. The sound of bees flying around by a stream. The sound of an air raid siren. People reciting strange religious texts that don't seem quite right.

Anyway, people would pick up the phone and just listen to these sounds, sometimes having them just as ambient sound on handsfree so they could try to work out what it is.

When you called back the phone number you get some confused guy on the other end. They didn't make the phone call. What the callers do have in common is that they're all using VOIP. The VOIP numbers can be temporarily hijacked by a hacker and used for their own purposes - to send out these weird sounds.

But why? Well, in the 1960s the government had this scheme... (sorry, I couldn't resist making it sound like some MKUltra bullshit. Only for you, Agora) It was the toll free call scheme. The concept is that you don't have to pay every provider your call passes through. You pay your call provider (say viacom) and they then transfer your call through a bunch of different hardware to deliver the call. On the way, they give fractions of the call value to the service providers that provide the infrastructure.

Somewhere along the line there's some small provider who has been approached by, what the FBI believe to be, an ex-telecoms worker, who has said "if I redirect calls through your service and you give me a fraction of the value then I can guarantee profits and that people will be on the call". People hear the sounds and they stay on the call for longer than if it were silent.

Source: Gimlet: Reply-All episode #104 "The Case of the Phantom Caller". If you want to hear something spooky - as soon as I finished writing this out the page went dead.

Automated Cold Calling

So you've got a phone call with silence on the other end. Ghosts? Vampires!? No. Automatied cold callers selling you stuff are calling you up. They wait for you to say something, then they'll transfer you to a waiting salesperson. They do this so they can save their salespeople from calling dead numbers or people who aren't home. If no salesperson is available the autodialler will hang up, and I guess they'll say a robotic "Goodbye".

Mandarin

This is just a guess, but with a bunch of people having left Hong Kong recently I'd imagine it's one of those advertising calls trying to sell some sort of migrant insurance or something. If not, wrong number.

Virtual Cafe Awards
This is just a guess, but with a bunch of people having left Hong Kong recently I'd imagine it's one of those advertising calls trying to sell some sort of migrant insurance or something. If not, wrong number.
my guess would be chinese scammers just randomly dialing looking for a chinese person living abroad to scare into giving them money

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTczgBtwRM

read the comments on this video and you'll see loads of people complaining about how they or used to get this phone call several times a week despite not being chinese, i think the same thing is happening to people in this thread

Virtual Cafe Awards