Tales of The Agora Road Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha thanks @Jessica3cho! I encourage you to "battle it" (mock up a challenger cover; perhaps a remix, or completely new aesthetic), and we can iterate and experiment based on each other's ideas and ultimately get others' sentiment what resonates, and keep iterating as perhaps other designery people join the battle and content flows in.

I really like your idea of allowing contributors to sorta commandeer the design of the zine as their section/content begins, bending the look and feel of the zine to their will, reflecting the mood or style of their piece, until their piece ends the design forms back into whatever inherent natural state we land on.

One final thought: one of you out there is reading this and will be this zine's most talented contributor. You may not even have an Agora Road account yet. And you may be reading these words long after I wrote them. It's not too late; join in! Tomorrow, I'll start drafting my first article submission.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
  • Artists — spam art here with your permission to use it! Everything from character art to nifty background textures or even shapes is potentially useful!
It was more of a shitpost, but I've made this and put it online as NFT as a joke. Not sure if you have anything out of it, but feel free to use it an any way you like.

Attachments

• nft.png
    nft.png
    634.5 KB · Views: 72
Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Hey this is super cool!

Ive got this project im working on called the dog and while im not really a proficient writer of fiction im going to give it a shot. Maybe at some point I will submit some part of it for the short stories section.

in any case

the idea is that the creative tools available in the tech world can be transferred to the creative world. namely, git/version control could be an interesting way to work on creative projects. I came up with this idea working with a creative group called "known cages", but its my own thing.

basically, ive got a repo for fiction for stories about "the dog". i have only just started this, but its open to anyone to contribute to and it would be really cool if anyone at all did(like im said, im no writer and that means i can make no judgements).

here are links to the project if anyone is interested.

input
output

in any regard, whatever comes of my project i totally dig and support the e-zine!

Virtual Cafe Awards
@zalazalaza You are a writer, and a good one.
It was more of a shitpost, but I've made this and put it online as NFT as a joke. Not sure if you have anything out of it, but feel free to use it an any way you like.
This is great. Can you make a bit more complimentary art with the same NFT theme? Rapid experimental fart (fine art) is fine. Whatever you feel, if you have the time. I'll write an article to pair with this NFT theme, work in your art, and then work with @Jessica3cho to lay it out / help with editing. It'll be our first piece.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Hey this is super cool!

Ive got this project im working on called the dog and while im not really a proficient writer of fiction im going to give it a shot. Maybe at some point I will submit some part of it for the short stories section.

in any case

the idea is that the creative tools available in the tech world can be transferred to the creative world. namely, git/version control could be an interesting way to work on creative projects. I came up with this idea working with a creative group called "known cages", but its my own thing.

basically, ive got a repo for fiction for stories about "the dog". i have only just started this, but its open to anyone to contribute to and it would be really cool if anyone at all did(like im said, im no writer and that means i can make no judgements).

here are links to the project if anyone is interested.

input
output

in any regard, whatever comes of my project i totally dig and support the e-zine!
Zal, you know already from my DM on Wed I like your writing :) You're a writer, and you're good. We're lucky to have your support and contributions. Can I ask you to commit to writing something small to start? It can be an entry of the dog, or something distinct from that so you feel comfortable being more experimental and moving faster. Thoughts?

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards

This is great. Can you make a bit more complimentary art with the same NFT theme? Rapid experimental fart (fine art) is fine. Whatever you feel, if you have the time. I'll write an article to pair with this NFT theme, work in your art, and then work with @Jessica3cho to lay it out / help with editing. It'll be our first piece.
Sure, just tomorrow or a bit after that. I see myself falling into trap I frequently do, which is trying to do 100 things at once and I need to relax too a bit. But don't worry. I'll post a bit more soon.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I've been meaning to write an essay on a form of Juche being the primary solution to modernity's problems inspired by a stream Null did a few years back. I definitely wont be able to get something out for this edition but I'm writing this down here so that I can remember to do it in the future when I'm not swamped with work.

All the posts in this thread sound fantastic and I'm sure it will turn out great.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Zal, you know already from my DM on Wed I like your writing :) You're a writer, and you're good. We're lucky to have your support and contributions. Can I ask you to commit to writing something small to start? It can be an entry of the dog, or something distinct from that so you feel comfortable being more experimental and moving faster. Thoughts?
I can commit to something depending on the time line. I have a lot of pots on the stove but have also resolved to write something(maybe just a tiny bit, or an outline) everyday for the winter.

Do you have a time line for the first publication?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Follow-up: Here is a PDF of the temp cover + my initial draft of an NFT article: https://cyberbob.neocities.org/pdfs/ezine.pdf

@Jessica3cho Do you have InDesign?

All, please ping here if you're working on any art or articles!

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
To get everyone's ideas flowing, here's a 300 DPI (print quality) concept cover I threw together tonight playing with Photoshop. May need to open in new tab and zoom to 100% for it to look right. The 2 Agora-chan graphics by @IlluminatiPirate and @Riktempest are just placeholders (subject to their permission for actual use) to convey the possible.

View attachment 14207

This is purely a concept (that mimics the 90s magazine MacAddict) to hopefully get people excited that this could be real. As we iterate and more people get involved, we can find the right aesthetic that everyone likes.

We need print designers, graphic artists, and writers. (Anything else?)
  • Designers — share your work and ideas here; let's exchange INDDs and PSDs!
  • Artists — spam art here with your permission to use it! Everything from character art to nifty background textures or even shapes is potentially useful!
  • Writers — feel free to just write your articles right here as a forum reply, or upload a docx or pdf as an attachment. Short stories, poems, prose, history lessons, how-tos, vaporwave reviews, philosophy, anything.
To those intrigued: Get involved! You are in charge of this project just as much as anyone— this is a community effort; no permission needed; no one has answers. Rather than ask what's needed (because no one knows), create! Rather than offer to write, write! With this project, we're kids again, creating for the sake of creating, learning, expressing ourselves, sharing with others!

Let's try to collab in the open (e.g. in this thread) so the whole community is involved and @IlluminatiPirate can parent us and settle any deadlocks :)
Looks awesome, I have lots of different stuff you could use. I could re use some of the old agora ads I made and maybe change the context a bit to fit the magazine. I can make some new agora-Chan's or something and I can also make some vaporwave patterns maybe like I did for the first two ads I made.
What if you gave the magazine a Macintosh OS style look? Just a thought I had

Virtual Cafe Awards
Looks awesome, I have lots of different stuff you could use. I could re use some of the old agora ads I made and maybe change the context a bit to fit the magazine. I can make some new agora-Chan's or something and I can also make some vaporwave patterns maybe like I did for the first two ads I made.
What if you gave the magazine a Macintosh OS style look? Just a thought I had
Love everything you said :) We can have full page ads too, for Agora Road, for products we like (e.g. Dr Pepper), etc

Virtual Cafe Awards
Tonight I wrote a kinda spooky short story. A two-pager. Need an editor. But more than anything, need more writers!

Take a moment right now to imagine yourself at def con, or comicon, and a wild hottie approaches you asks you, "so what do you do?". "I'm a writer," you say. "Are you published?" she asks. "Damn straight I'm published," you reply. "Oh my god, you're so hot," she replies. One year later, you have 12 kids and a mansion. It all starts now, right here.

Riddles. Interviews. Poems. Stories. Reviews (Music, Books, Games). Net lore. Tech. Thought experiments. Theories. Fake ads. Opinion pieces. Current events.

We are publishing a zine. This will be the first edition! You can post articles here, or if you wanna keep your contribution a surprise til publish you can DM it over. If you want to be in charge of any aspect of this project, it's yours for the taking, speak up!

Want to contribute but not sure how? Post here or DM me and I'll help brainstorm with you. Just say "hi" and I'll help get you involved. Do not miss out on contributing to the first edition! IT'S ZINE TIME!

Virtual Cafe Awards
i'd love to contribute anyway i can, art or graphic design,, i just need direction, what if we spoofed a 90s ad?
YES! i actually have started leaving placeholders for full bleed 300 PPI/DPI A5 (1748x2480) ads— we need them! anything 90s style. could be a real product (e.g. surge) or a fake one (e.g. agora cola).

also could generally use art assets for anything related to AOL, mac OS 7-9, vaporwave, ai, ghosts, seashell, a stormy sea, icy landscape, cyberpunk vibes, 90s net in general, and anything related to agora web particularly our mascot agora-chan. anything from detailed character/object art to landscape to abstract backgrounds is useful.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
Follow-up: Here is a PDF of the temp cover + my initial draft of an NFT article: https://cyberbob.neocities.org/pdfs/ezine.pdf

@Jessica3cho Do you have InDesign?

All, please ping here if you're working on any art or articles!
Hey thanks for including my art. It made me smile. I also love the layout of it already. It gives off quality.

Also I have an idea. To have a doodles section somewhere where we post like 3 slide comics or something. What do you think?

Virtual Cafe Awards

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
alright ya filthy animals here's some notebook preview pics of my astrology article.
>aspects of the planets
thumbnail_uhac0v.jpg
thumbnail_uymsfp.jpg

>dates associated with zodiacal signs, plus important angles to keep in mind when looking at a chart, and >how to read/make an astrological chart
thumbnail_r2llja.jpg
thumbnail_tycvi2.jpg

>what the houses represent
thumbnail_fwcfn2.jpg
thumbnail_n1tben.jpg

>chart with the houses, what zodiac signs best exemplify that house, and the planet that is typically seen as the "ruler" of that house (most powerful in it)
thumbnail_eyezuy.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.