Tears of the Kingdom

• Thread starter Jade
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3245 times.

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Guys it's out, what do you think of it?
Playing it on my real Nintendo Switch™, and it's pretty interesting. I still didn't get to the part where new mechanics are introduced but I have a lot to chew on because I never played BOTW
totally_legit.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
From what I've played so far:

It's fun, but pretty much feels like BoTW. Like it could be a DLC or something.
This was my biggest fear TBH. Never any question it would be good, just if the price was justified if I've already played BOTW.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Playing it on my real Nintendo Switch™, and it's pretty interesting. I still didn't get to the part where new mechanics are introduced but I have a lot to chew on because I never played BOTW
View attachment 61905
I'm over here playing it in handheld mode at 0.75 resolution and using Open GL like a cuck.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone playing through it have any thoughts?

I've played 4-5 hours of it. Not sure if I'm going to proceed any further or if I'm just going to play something else. It is a really good game, no doubt, but it's so similar to BOTW, I find the price and six-year development a bit of a head scratcher.

With the price specifically, BOTW sold about as much as the previous 5-6 entries in the series combined. Nintendo probably thought with they could get away with tacking an extra $10 on the sequel and they're probably right; TOTK has already sold more than any other non-BOTW Zelda game.

This is the most similar two mainline Zelda games have ever been, and with no brand new Mario Kart since 2014, it feels like Nintendo is settling into a pattern similar to other big game developers where they just keep re-releasing and expanding the same AAA game for 3-4 generations. Skyrim and GTA V are good examples of the kind of thing I'm referring to.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
One problem i have with the game is it doesn't show what happened after botw especially divine beasts and sheikah tech and how islands emerged and it's also the first Zelda game that gets a direct sequel. Nintendo isn't a company i could associate it with storytelling since most of the games throw a basic storyline like Mario even though they released some visual novels on NES and got remade on Switch(Oh come on, improve your story telling skills). I expected better after 6 years of development. My sister is playing the game and after completing all the shrines, she got a terrible costume with no story unlocked.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Completed game, it doesn't feel like a BOTW DLC at all. If anything it makes BOTW feel like a tech demo for this game. Game is legit a technical marvel, keeping track of that many physics objects on potato hardware and it not breaking is really impressive. There are a bunch of decent gameplay loops, my only complaint would be that it can be a bit grindy at times... but also it's Japan so who's surprised?

Ultrahand and zonai devices offer countless ways to tackle almost any part of the game, my gameplay experience was almost nothing like my gameplay experience in BOTW. If anything, by the time I got to taking on Ganon I'd just fully forgotten normal combat mechanics because most of the game I spent using various engineered solutions to every problem up to that point. If you have a problem-solving mindset it will probably be the most fun you've ever had in a video game. Sure, you can play it just like BOTW if you want, but I don't see why you would. It's much more fun to roll into a clump of enemies in your tank/chopper/orbital deathcannon surrounded by a set of autonomous laser roombas.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Completed game, it doesn't feel like a BOTW DLC at all. If anything it makes BOTW feel like a tech demo for this game. Game is legit a technical marvel, keeping track of that many physics objects on potato hardware and it not breaking is really impressive. There are a bunch of decent gameplay loops, my only complaint would be that it can be a bit grindy at times... but also it's Japan so who's surprised?

Ultrahand and zonai devices offer countless ways to tackle almost any part of the game, my gameplay experience was almost nothing like my gameplay experience in BOTW. If anything, by the time I got to taking on Ganon I'd just fully forgotten normal combat mechanics because most of the game I spent using various engineered solutions to every problem up to that point. If you have a problem-solving mindset it will probably be the most fun you've ever had in a video game. Sure, you can play it just like BOTW if you want, but I don't see why you would. It's much more fun to roll into a clump of enemies in your tank/chopper/orbital deathcannon surrounded by a set of autonomous laser roombas.
I think it needs more robotic enemies other than cubes guy, the boss of 'spirit temple' and zonai guardians.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I think it needs more robotic enemies other than cubes guy, the boss of 'spirit temple' and zonai guardians.
I would also have liked this yeah. The main thing I felt the absence of was BOTW guardians, gloom hands don't capture the same kind of terror, and that kind of terror was good.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
this is kind of debatable. You used to be able to duplicate items insanely easily by doing some basic menuing. Nintendo has patched most of the worst offenders but the game can still be fairly easily exploited, which is funny to me.
item dupe bugs aren't the kind of breaking i'm talking about, i'm talking specifically about the physics sim bit. item duping is both funny and kinda required if you don't want to grind for 200 years like some kind of hikkikomori mattress-stainer

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
item dupe bugs aren't the kind of breaking i'm talking about, i'm talking specifically about the physics sim bit. item duping is both funny and kinda required if you don't want to grind for 200 years like some kind of hikkikomori mattress-stainer
oh there are also many physics exploits too. They got rid of the ones in BotW but new one's were found. Still a very polished game for sure but I would not say that the game doesn't break. Linkus7 and Smallant1 have some good glitch videos in case you feel like watching them

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
Here's a vid from YouTube channel I think highly of giving their take on the game:

After playing it a bit thanks to a friend, I agree with basically everything in the vid. I also never played Breath of the Wild, which I think helps out a lot with the potential maximum amount of enjoyment someone could derive from the experience. I went back and watched this same person's review of BotW and was surprised to see how many of the issues discussed we're completely ignored with 6 years of dev (COVID caveat though).

I believe there's a lesson to be had here about universal acclaim (and disdain) for things. I think this game has flaws, and the mindless majority opinion(s) don't do it any favors. I don't think it's bad, just that... hype, in any direction, never tells the full story.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7-Eleven Spy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
This game feels way too same-y. It's the exact same world as BoTW yet somehow not as interesting as ToTK seems to give you a huge amount of power compared to BoTW. When you first started BoTW, you basically knew nothing and had very little options for travel. ToTK ruins this aspect nearly immediately. Fusing weapons means you can get high attack weapons quickly, and the machines make it trivial to cheese traveling. This sounds fun in theory, but the machines are so annoying to use. They disappear completely if you walk away or do something.

Much like BoTW, I stopped playing ToTK about 3/4 of the way through the main story quests. I eventually went back and finished BoTW a year later, but I'm not sure if I can even bring myself to do it with ToTK. Too much of the same.

Instead of finishing ToTK, I decided to get 100% achievements on Hotline Miami. I felt much more entertained and accomplished doing this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-01 004404.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-01 004404.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Awards
This game feels way too same-y. It's the exact same world as BoTW yet somehow not as interesting as ToTK seems to give you a huge amount of power compared to BoTW. When you first started BoTW, you basically knew nothing and had very little options for travel. ToTK ruins this aspect nearly immediately. Fusing weapons means you can get high attack weapons quickly, and the machines make it trivial to cheese traveling. This sounds fun in theory, but the machines are so annoying to use. They disappear completely if you walk away or do something.

Much like BoTW, I stopped playing ToTK about 3/4 of the way through the main story quests. I eventually went back and finished BoTW a year later, but I'm not sure if I can even bring myself to do it with ToTK. Too much of the same.

Instead of finishing ToTK, I decided to get 100% achievements on Hotline Miami. I felt much more entertained and accomplished doing this.
Idk, i've been playing hotline miami since 2014, after a while the franchise lost it's magic for sure, and even the workshop campaigns got boring, hunter was fun, but must of it is just mediocre at best, tho i'm kinda expecting 1-900-Cult tbh, it's the only interesting thing that has come from the community since midnight animal (which was cancelled because the hotline miami fandom sucks ass) and sovereigns.
1-900-CULT on Steam

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I have not played the game itself, but I did watch some videos. I played BOTW before.

IMO, the build mechanic feels very forced and clunky from what I can see. This dosen't feel very Zelda-y to me. It appears to completely break the flow of the game.

I think the game would have been better with a new but smaller overworld and have more "traditional mechanics". What I would have really wanted to see is like BOTW with actual cities and dungeons - kinda like what Genshin Impact is doing.

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have not played the game itself, but I did watch some videos. I played BOTW before.

IMO, the build mechanic feels very forced and clunky from what I can see. This dosen't feel very Zelda-y to me. It appears to completely break the flow of the game.

I think the game would have been better with a new but smaller overworld and have more "traditional mechanics". What I would have really wanted to see is like BOTW with actual cities and dungeons - kinda like what Genshin Impact is doing.
I liked BOTW a lot as a game, but as a Zelda game I thought it was disappointing. It frustrates me that we have to kludge "totally not a smartphone" into a franchise that's overtly based on medieval aesthetics and sword fighting. The mechanics aren't even a problem, just find a better explanation! Magic, divine intervention, witchcraft, ancient knowledge, any reasoning would be better than the medieval smartphone - it just feels so lazy and indicative of the moment we're living in.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz

I have about 20 hours in TotK so far, and I have to say I actually really like the build mechanic, it's probably my favorite part of the game so far. It's incredibly flexible and the amount of freedom it provides in how you can approach any given obstacle is unrivaled. It's very easy to combine with the reverse time mechanic too and you can do some ludicrously fun things with it. Also, while there don't seem to be any 'cities' beyond Hateno Village and Zora's Domain and the like, traditional dungeons DO make a return in TotK, including classics like the Fire Temple

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have about 20 hours in TotK so far, and I have to say I actually really like the build mechanic, it's probably my favorite part of the game so far. It's incredibly flexible and the amount of freedom it provides in how you can approach any given obstacle is unrivaled. It's very easy to combine with the reverse time mechanic too and you can do some ludicrously fun things with it. Also, while there don't seem to be any 'cities' beyond Hateno Village and Zora's Domain and the like, traditional dungeons DO make a return in TotK, including classics like the Fire Temple
The dungeons aren't as traditional as you claim. I think they remind me of divine beasts with stuff like open 5 terminals to unlock the boss.

Virtual Cafe Awards