Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I think that in a vacuum all technological progress is good.

But in reality, it vastly deprnd on how said new technologies are implemented and used.

EzzyCrafts

Specimen 1.0-C
Reaction score
Awards
No. We were fine before but look at us now. Modern communication makes it so nothing is worth saying anymore. I wasn't born until after the world got crappy, but I sure know for sure that everything is horrible now and will continue to be horrible as more and more control is put onto us.

The internet was a awesome technological creation, but then as more and more garbage was added onto it, it became something that has the potential to collapse society from the inside.

Phones aren't made for little kids to scroll on stupid social media websites, they were supposed to be used as tools.

The only situation in which technological progress is good is when nobody controls it for evil and when it benefits everybody.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dimensionalist

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Not since 1945. More technology makes civilization harder to keep and easier to destroy after a certain point.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aeria Gloris

Virtual Runner
Reaction score
Awards
Regarding powerful easy-to-use technologies no, it wasn't worth it. Regarding fantasy computers like TIC-80? Yess
1667897603754.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've been on both sides of the fence here, but if I had to say, it's long-term good, short-term bad. It sucks when new technologies come about and disrupt society, it makes life hard for people who hitherto were doing just fine through no real fault of their own, it often gives success to people who seem very much so undeserving, and, most frustrating of all, it seems completely unstoppable. My metric for 'good' here is whatever ensures a real future for the human race; I don't want us to paint ourselves into a corner neither as a slave race dominated by systems of our making nor as apes waiting to be wiped out by a natural disaster.

I think society today needs to worry more about stability and regaining their grounding than trying to advance technology.

Reaction score
Awards
I was raised in quite a progressive family, my parents always taught me to always keep my eyes into the future, and it is right Progress is inevitable and i totally embrace it with a smile on my face, but something that bothers me tho is that i just wish they invested more in exoskeletons and bionic limbs/organs/implants, if bionics become something common and cheap for the public, that would be a massive breaktrought for medicine, imagine that you have problems with your liver and you need a transplant? they just give you an artificial liver and is done, you lost a limb? let's chrome you up choom, are you quadraplegic? a new spine and an exoskeleton will do the job, easy as that, sadly entertainment is more important for this market, and corpo shitheads are just investing in putting an iphone into your brain ://
1667923598260.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

solarcorp

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
solarcorp.bandcamp.com
I think the real problem is how much we have prioritized technological progress over social progress, understanding human nature and desire, and increasing the standard of living across the globe. All trending technology, although claiming to be trying to bring us together, has shifted to fulfilling the user's narcissistic desire for instant gratification and affirming their worldview. Why work on eco-friendly technology when all the rich people can go to space? Why spend money on humanitarian efforts?

Honestly capitalism has gotten to a point where even narcissistic technological progress is stifled, considering the fact that companies like Apple hold back technology for when it's marketable and literally make iphones more likely to break/brick as they get older so people buy more and more.

Reaction score
Awards
I think the real problem is how much we have prioritized technological progress over social progress, understanding human nature and desire, and increasing the standard of living across the globe. All trending technology, although claiming to be trying to bring us together, has shifted to fulfilling the user's narcissistic desire for instant gratification and affirming their worldview. Why work on eco-friendly technology when all the rich people can go to space? Why spend money on humanitarian efforts?

Honestly capitalism has gotten to a point where even narcissistic technological progress is stifled, considering the fact that companies like Apple hold back technology for when it's marketable and literally make iphones more likely to break/brick as they get older so people buy more and more.
bro, people with a Cruelty Squad pfp always had the most hot and based takes ever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Honestly I think it's a net bad

Are we really that much happier and more fulfilled than we were 1000, 10000 or 100000 years ago?

We may live longer, we may live more comfortably, we may be able to indulge in more recreation, but are we really any happier?

Personally I don't think so.

Too often new technologies create new problems, often bigger than the problem they were intended to solve.

Besides, we're starting to hit the physical limits of technology.
Planes can't really fly much faster than we have.
Chips can't really get much smaller.

We've entered the era of diminishing returns. Moore's law is dead.
It will take so much time, energy, and resources to get those incremental gains. Is it even worth it?
Cultural, individual, societal, and governmental advancement may very well be better ends to pursue.

We are the same man that man was in the stone age.
But our environments, activities, and duties are alien to the stone age man.
So we feel alienated.

Materialism is fucked, and technology is the god of materialists.

(Of course pursued and yielded with wisdom technological advancement would be a very good thing indeed, but that's not the case and I'm not sure it ever really can be. We blindly pursue endeavors that may very well destroy us simply because we can.)

Virtual Cafe Awards