What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

Telepath twitter drama

televape

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Telepath tweeted this :
View: https://twitter.com/VirtualDreamLLC/status/1334837674851577857

People got mad at him, and now they're calling attention to his 2016 release, ECCONIGGA, because he's white and used the n-word (not to mention his identity is only speculated, not confirmed). They're also saying he voted for Trump, which I doubt could ever be confirmed. Telepath is my favorite artist of all time, and I think he was just annoyed that people took advantage of Bandcamp Friday. In some ways, it is shallow to promote music on Bandcamp Friday, especially if it's sample-based. Also, I'm not American, but I do understand the severity of using the n-word. In my opinion, it was just a joke album, on the internet. Maybe Vincent Remember can give him the n-word pass, so people will stop getting mad, lol. I think people are too sensitive nowadays. What do you think of all this?

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Okay I'm not gonna get into why the n-word is bad. I dont want to talk about racial issues on here.
Edit: My dyslexic ass thought you said you DON'T understand my bad sorry

Now that thats outta of the way, I see no problem people promoting their music during bandcamp Fridays. Its just smart advertising to promote on the day where Bandcamp suspenses their fees. I dont like the cancel culture that happening with telepath but that tweet is probably being viewed as elitism since he's so big that people buy his stuff anyway. And Bandcamp Fridays wouldn't effect him like smaller artists.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

EtymonLegomenon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You don't have to have a problem with the thing being advertised to be annoyed by advertising. I find the reaction to this innocuous, humorous tweet hilarious.

I think the guy who gives himself the alias Ecconigga, lets you know that he did it, and then doesn't let you know who's behind his other alias, is trolling you on a level higher than you can even see. And evidently it's working on the ten or so people who are mad someone said N word on the computer.

I have changed my position and will be actively attempting to fan this flame because I've got no doubt Telepath thinks it's hysterical.

Virtual Cafe Awards

televape

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You don't have to have a problem with the thing being advertised to be annoyed by advertising. I find the reaction to this innocuous, humorous tweet hilarious.

I think the guy who gives himself the alias Ecconigga, lets you know that he did it, and then doesn't let you know who's behind his other alias, is trolling you on a level higher than you can even see. And evidently it's working on the ten or so people who are mad someone said N word on the computer.

I have changed my position and will be actively attempting to fan this flame because I've got no doubt Telepath thinks it's hysterical.
I think it's a double-edged sword. On one hand it's smart, obviously, to maximize profits, but at the same time it's shallow to advertise on Bandcamp Friday or even withhold a release until then. Also I think the ecconigga album is hilarious. Telepath is a genius

Virtual Cafe Awards

Placeholder

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone crying about Telepath's previous aliases will be the first to forget whenever he announces another stupid limited vinyl or if the guy asked to collaborate with them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

EtymonLegomenon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's a double-edged sword. On one hand it's smart, obviously, to maximize profits, but at the same time it's shallow to advertise on Bandcamp Friday or even withhold a release until then. Also I think the ecconigga album is hilarious. Telepath is a genius
Ecconigga vol. 1 is genuinely one of my favorite vaporwave albums, lol.

I don't have a problem with Bandcamp Friday ads, I don't think there's any ethical quandaries in it. But being advertised to isn't fun for people with a brain. The thing is, most people don't, and most people LIKE being advertised to (though they'll tell you otherwise). I still piss off my parents every time I mute commercials when I'm at their house. Hence people are MAD that anyone would dare complain about Bandcamp Friday. "But people NEED that money!" I don't see you complaining that Bandcamp should give them 100% of the profits every day...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
Unlike his appearance, Telepath is only human. And well, humans often have Bad Takes. I think it is justified to call him out for those missteps. He should apologize so we can all move forward.
One can be a musical genius but still spread shitty ideas. This is something his 2814 colleague HKE exells even stronger at.

Virtual Cafe Awards

EtymonLegomenon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Unlike his appearance, Telepath is only human. And well, humans often have Bad Takes. I think it is justified to call him out for those missteps. He should apologize so we can all move forward.
One can be a musical genius but still spread shitty ideas. This is something his 2814 colleague HKE exells even stronger at.
do you have a reason for disliking his opinion which you'd care to share or are you just making it known you don't like it (or those of another person entirely)

Virtual Cafe Awards

AlmostHalf10

9:25 am
Reaction score
Awards
Website
caesar.wtf
There's no such thing as an "N-word pass", using racial slurs is inappropriate and disrespectful, no matter what.

IIRC He deleted that project, although it's still available on other channels.

I wasn't sure whether he was sarcastic or serious when he tweeted that, but in troubling times like 2020, it is a nice initiative of Bandcamp to introduce Bandcamp Friday in order to give artists the full revenue of their work. At the end of the day, it's not about the money obviously, but getting paid for your work is nice every now and then.

Personally, I'm not a fan of "cancel culture", bringing up someone's past because they said something online that you don't agree with just doesn't make sense.
(It's a debatable subject, but in this case, it was just his opinion about Bandcamp Friday)

I'm not fond of him using the N-word, let alone build a whole project around it. But as far as I understood, he removed everything from the internet (Except for one Spotify release, if that's him)
If it was still an ongoing project I would be angry about it but as far as I know it's just something from the past that I hope he doesn't work on anymore.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
There's no such thing as an "N-word pass", using racial slurs is inappropriate and disrespectful, no matter what.

IIRC He deleted that project, although it's still available on other channels.

I wasn't sure whether he was sarcastic or serious when he tweeted that, but in troubling times like 2020, it is a nice initiative of Bandcamp to introduce Bandcamp Friday in order to give artists the full revenue of their work. At the end of the day, it's not about the money obviously, but getting paid for your work is nice every now and then.

Personally, I'm not a fan of "cancel culture", bringing up someone's past because they said something online that you don't agree with just doesn't make sense.
(It's a debatable subject, but in this case, it was just his opinion about Bandcamp Friday)

I'm not fond of him using the N-word, let alone build a whole project around it. But as far as I understood, he removed everything from the internet (Except for one Spotify release, if that's him)
If it was still an ongoing project I would be angry about it but as far as I know it's just something from the past that I hope he doesn't work on anymore.
Best take on the matter I've heard so far

Virtual Cafe Awards

?!MemoryHead!?

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
words are harmless. this is nothing but leftist foot-soldiers trying to suppress personal artistic expression and freedoms and personal sovereignty.

at best, it's stupid twitter denizens being busy bodies and looking to be victims, at best it's advocacy of Newspeak

if a WORD offends you and causes this sort of reaction in you, you need some serious self-evaluation and professional help. someone saying nigga should not trigger this kind of reaction in you

Virtual Cafe Awards

EtymonLegomenon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
words are harmless. this is nothing but leftist foot-soldiers trying to suppress personal artistic expression and freedoms and personal sovereignty.

at best, it's stupid twitter denizens being busy bodies and looking to be victims, at best it's advocacy of Newspeak

if a WORD offends you and causes this sort of reaction in you, you need some serious self-evaluation and professional help. someone saying nigga should not trigger this kind of reaction in you
Don't forget that it's not just "this reaction in you," it's also EVERYONE who's hooked up to the Vaporwave(TM) Scene hivemind. Which is itself a network that belongs to, among others, the Bandcamp Hivemind(TM), Twitter Hivemind(TM), and Indie Music Hivemind(TM).

Virtual Cafe Awards

?!MemoryHead!?

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Don't forget that it's not just "this reaction in you," it's also EVERYONE who's hooked up to the Vaporwave(TM) Scene hivemind. Which is itself a network that belongs to, among others, the Bandcamp Hivemind(TM), Twitter Hivemind(TM), and Indie Music Hivemind(TM).
yes, I meant the "royal YOU". a normal reaction is "oh that's fucked up" and move on. cancelling people or seekng to do damage to them in disproportional and straight up evil

Virtual Cafe Awards

Brian LeFevre

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Personal sovereignty and artistic freedom end when you infringe on another person's rights - using a racial slur is definitely an instance of doing exactly that. Using the n-word for "playful" or "ironic" purposes reeks of immaturity and 4chan edginess.

The tweet, in turn, reeks of elitism - there's nothing wrong in wanting to monetise your productivity.

Virtual Cafe Awards

EtymonLegomenon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Except you don't have the right to ban the use of words. Considering the company of adults vs. children "immaturity" seems more virtuous than the alternative. I'd rather live in a world of elitism than a world of excuses. Nice try.

Virtual Cafe Awards

?!MemoryHead!?

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Personal sovereignty and artistic freedom end when you infringe on another person's rights - using a racial slur is definitely an instance of doing exactly that

no it doesn't. it does not infringe on any rights

if someone calls a black person a "GAYmer word", NOTHING in that black person's life has changed. they lost nothing, they were not impeded or restricted in anyway.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Brian LeFevre

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
if someone calls a black person a ******, NOTHING in that black person's life has changed. they lost nothing, they were not impeded or restricted in anyway.
Oh wow, so now you're telling people how they should feel - i.e. indifferent to anything anyone calls them - while at the same time taking away from them the very real feeling of being disrespected? Why can't a person not like a certain term used towards them, that's been simultaneously officially regarded as hate speech?

You're fighting a lost battle here. Under the guise of "personal freedom", you're trying to justify your willingness to use racial slurs.

Except you don't have the right to ban the use of words. Considering the company of adults vs. children "immaturity" seems more virtuous than the alternative. I'd rather live in a world of elitism than a world of excuses. Nice try.

And this is utter gibberish, sorry - you're deflecting just for the sake of not agreeing with anything I said, to the point where you're distorting the meaning of words; because words have meanings and stating that immaturity is a positive feature is outright not accepting that they do.

What does the latter part even mean? What excuses?

Virtual Cafe Awards

?!MemoryHead!?

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Oh wow, so now you're telling people how they should feel - i.e. indifferent to anything anyone calls them - while at the same time taking away from them the very real feeling of being disrespected? Why can't a person not like a certain term used towards them, that's been simultaneously officially regarded as hate speech?

You're fighting a lost battle here. Under the guise of "personal freedom", you're trying to justify your willingness to use racial slurs.
I'm not TELLING anyone anything, I'm merely observing what is a normal reaction to words. anyone can dislike whatever they want to dislike. it is not a sane reaction to have such an insane triggered response to something as harmless as a word.

i hate to break it to ya, but being respected is not a right. personal sovereignty and free thought is. it's almost 2021, you're welcome to join us

there's also no such thing as hate speech, it's just speech you don't like. you are entitled not to like it, but your voice on the situation ends there, you're a nobody, you have no right to dictate what is and isn't acceptable for others to think or say. society has no obligation to coddle your irrational fear of certain words or your childish reaction to them, or entitlement to respect you think you deserve

if you behave like a child, real people are entitled to treat you like one

you are a morally bankrupt egomaniac

>Under the guise of "personal freedom", you're trying to justify your willingness to use racial slurs.

under the guise of pretending to care about black people's feelings, you're trying to justify suppression of thought like some kind of inbred austrian. grow up, your backwards ideology died in berlin in 1945

Virtual Cafe Awards