Tell me about your niche hobbies!

• Thread starter Shrug
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 6377 times.

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
Oh cool, what sort? Also haha yeah never grow psychedelic ones, I totally don't encourage that, especially with the spores being completely legal to own in most countries.
I grew pink oyster mushrooms, they're really tasty.
And yeah, haha. Who would ever do that? Not me, for sure haha.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Is studying and practicing ancient Romana religion a niche hobby? I don't really come across anyone who does.

I also build models which used to be niche, but I guess that's pretty mainstream in hobby culture right now?

I also collect Monopoly variants! I love the game, have been playing it for more than 2 decades. Between my wife and I, I think we have probably 50 or so variants.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
Is studying and practicing ancient Romana religion a niche hobby? I don't really come across anyone who does.

I also build models which used to be niche, but I guess that's pretty mainstream in hobby culture right now?

I also collect Monopoly variants! I love the game, have been playing it for more than 2 decades. Between my wife and I, I think we have probably 50 or so variants.
I'd say those are all pretty niche and interesting! What's the crown jewel of your Monopoly collection?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I'd say those are all pretty niche and interesting! What's the crown jewel of your Monopoly collection?
Probably my 1999 Pokemon Collector's Edition Monopoly. I got it for my 5th birthday, so unfortunately it was not taken the best care of, but for being 22 years old it really has minimal wear, probably like 1 or 2 pokecenters lost is all.

Edit: Here's an Ebay listing for reference - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1442636345...Web&brand=Hasbro&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
Probably my 1999 Pokemon Collector's Edition Monopoly. I got it for my 5th birthday, so unfortunately it was not taken the best care of, but for being 22 years old it really has minimal wear, probably like 1 or 2 pokecenters lost is all.

Edit: Here's an Ebay listing for reference - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144263634529?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200818143230&meid=14fd3b0217b0431196dfaec346cf5439&pid=101224&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=174945223331&itm=144263634529&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2047675&algv=DefaultOrganicWeb&brand=Hasbro&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1
That's awesome, I definitely remember seeing that somewhere when I was a kiddo. I used to have a Monopoly set based on my hometown area, that was pretty neat.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
That's awesome, I definitely remember seeing that somewhere when I was a kiddo. I used to have a Monopoly set based on my hometown area, that was pretty neat.
Oh nice! Was it a legit Monopoly or custom made? I love those personally unique ones, they're so comfy.
I have both a custom made monopoly for my hometown and a monopoly printed by the shipyard my wife's grandmother works for.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
Oh nice! Was it a legit Monopoly or custom made? I love those personally unique ones, they're so comfy.
I have both a custom made monopoly for my hometown and a monopoly printed by the shipyard my wife's grandmother works for.
I'm not sure if mine was custom, I can't really find a copy of it online, but it was also pretty old so who knows. Custom boards sound very soulful.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deepwaterjew

Young prophet
Reaction score
Awards
I like doing little origami things and I believe everyone should have at least one somewhere in their house. I'm also into writing but I don't know where to publish my little short stories so people can say "hey that story was cool you're cool".
what about you shrug?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
I like doing little origami things and I believe everyone should have at least one somewhere in their house. I'm also into writing but I don't know where to publish my little short stories so people can say "hey that story was cool you're cool".
what about you shrug?
You should post some of your short stories here, I'd love to read them!
I don't think I have any really niche hobbies, to be honest. I like riding/working on track bikes if that counts? I like cooking a lot too, but that's hardly a rare hobby.

Virtual Cafe Awards

yukiovikernes

God's Favorite
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
Do you have any go-to or Shrug signature dishes?
I really love cooking and eating mushrooms. One of my favorite dishes that's also really easy to make is oyster mushrooms sautéed in a garlic herb olive oil with balsamic vinegar over pasta.
I don't really make a whole lot of impressive dishes, I mostly eat a shitload of whatever veggies are in season and try to get more creative with my sauces.

Virtual Cafe Awards

whoman

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I really love cooking and eating mushrooms. One of my favorite dishes that's also really easy to make is oyster mushrooms sautéed in a garlic herb olive oil with balsamic vinegar over pasta.
I don't really make a whole lot of impressive dishes, I mostly eat a shitload of whatever veggies are in season and try to get more creative with my sauces.
Its been mushroom season where I'm at so I was able to find some edible mushrooms in my yard the other day that was pretty nice just sauteed in some butter. Do you ever go foraging for mushrooms or just growing them?

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone have any weird hobbies or activities you're into? Tell us a little bit about them here. What have you been doing, learning about, or working on lately?
I like sim racing. I can actually play a video game that hasn't been dumbed down so much that a literal monkey can play it. I can learn from real race car drivers. I can feel like I'm getting better as time goes on (Even though I suck) I don't have to deal with plebbitors. I even have sports to watch that are way better than people throwing balls around.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I like sim racing. I can actually play a video game that hasn't been dumbed down so much that a literal monkey can play it. I can learn from real race car drivers. I can feel like I'm getting better as time goes on (Even though I suck) I don't have to deal with plebbitors. I even have sports to watch that are way better than people throwing balls around.
sim racing is so much fun, me and my grandpa have a good set up and we have taken turns on grandturismo time trial since gt3. we recently just a got a new wheel too and built a custom chair from a seat left over from my grandpas wrecked rx7. can not wait to play gt7 with him when it comes out

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
sim racing is so much fun, me and my grandpa have a good set up and we have taken turns on grandturismo time trial since gt3. we recently just a got a new wheel too and built a custom chair from a seat left over from my grandpas wrecked rx7. can not wait to play gt7 with him when it comes out
That's pretty cool. I play Assetto Corsa. I usually run late 60s/early 70s muscle cars. I also have some of the old NASCAR road courses like Riverside and Watkins Glen.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
Its been mushroom season where I'm at so I was able to find some edible mushrooms in my yard the other day that was pretty nice just sauteed in some butter. Do you ever go foraging for mushrooms or just growing them?
I've grown mushrooms before, and it was really satisfying and cool. I've tried foraging but haven't had much luck with it in my area.

Virtual Cafe Awards