Tell me about your niche hobbies!

• Thread starter Shrug
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 6385 times.

Neon Wave

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I enjoy woodburning. I've done quite a few Ouija boards, pretty basic stuff that just requires solid black, not much shading, but it's calming and I like the smell. I have a cheap burner and I usually get craft wood from Goodwill/Salvation Army, so it's a cheap hobby and I can make free gifts.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I enjoy making knives. I start with sketching out a design on paper, then I stencil my design onto a piece of wood and cut/sand out a 3D model. If it feels good in hand, I put the stencil on a steel blank and use an angle grinder to cut out the rough shape. Then the hard work starts - putting a good bevel on the blade, heat treating, sanding and polishing. Putting on the grips, the last part of the process, is really fun. There's a woodworking shop nearby that sells all kinds of exotic woods. I love going there and picking out a type of wood I haven't worked with before. There's something very satisfying about using a belt sander to shape the grip contours. If you have all the tools, it's a pretty cheap hobby - I only spend around $50 in materials for each knife, if that.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I like configuring my system and software stack for minimalism. It is actualy far more of a timesink than one could imagine and it never ends. I also like sewing plushes but i decided to not do that until i can be more isolated. I also give things badly repaired looks. Most items i own has at least one visible soft damage from bad repair or unneeded tape, that could be considered a hobby, i guess.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I like configuring my system and software stack for minimalism. It is actualy far more of a timesink than one could imagine and it never ends. I also like sewing plushes but i decided to not do that until i can be more isolated. I also give things badly repaired looks. Most items i own has at least one visible soft damage from bad repair or unneeded tape, that could be considered a hobby, i guess.
Do you like the badly repair looks because of Fallout 3 or Mad Max? Cuz I would like that.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
As for niche hobbies, I enjoy geocaching, the community has died down a bit lately but it can be very fun within the right places.

There's also urban exploration, which, I think also has died down lately too. Can be called urbex, etc. The communities on these are much more secretive though because the spots, would be boarded up and tresspassing charges can be handed out. I have *tons* of fun stories with my youth, doing this in places such as Japan, China, and across the USA. abandoned Military posts and more.
I haven't heard the term "geocaching" in so long. I went geocaching for a school trip in the 3rd grade. We found nothing. And that's the last I heard about it. So it's interesting to hear about someone who does it more often!

As for urban exploration, I've always wanted to explore abandoned buildings but unfortunately, I do not live in an urban area.
Have you ever found something that specifically excited you?

Virtual Cafe Awards

xandra

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xandra.cc
genealogy—i've been able to trace my ancestors back to the early 1600s, but currently in the process of going back even farther. on the other end of the spectrum, love studying the social implications and practical ethics of space exploration and discovery.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Cecil

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I like to watch, create and collect Gachimuchi Pants Wrestling videos.

Attachments

• f7590dda7d7de5bfe376deda8f8124c6.jpg
    f7590dda7d7de5bfe376deda8f8124c6.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 60
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • GiggaChad
Reactions: _TF

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
I enjoy woodburning. I've done quite a few Ouija boards, pretty basic stuff that just requires solid black, not much shading, but it's calming and I like the smell. I have a cheap burner and I usually get craft wood from Goodwill/Salvation Army, so it's a cheap hobby and I can make free gifts.
crochet is the same way! it's an easy, repetitive action, and you come out the other side relaxed and with a new piece of clothing

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
Is studying and practicing ancient Romana religion a niche hobby? I don't really come across anyone who does.

I also build models which used to be niche, but I guess that's pretty mainstream in hobby culture right now?

I also collect Monopoly variants! I love the game, have been playing it for more than 2 decades. Between my wife and I, I think we have probably 50 or so variants.

Doesn't that just mean you're Catholic Pope worshiper?