Tell me the truth

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Is this just a place where zoomers bask in a faux-nostalgic and completely bastardised version of the (internet) past?

I found this place after searching for more info on the dead internet theory after I saw it on SA forums (and subsequently the fucking Atlantic quoted a post from that thread because the state of journalism isn't dire enough), and because the internet and wider culture seems to have stopped dead in it's tracks and started looping the same shit over and over. Reading through a few select threads it seemed like there's some 30+ old folks here but looking at the introductions thread...there's a lot of "I was born yesterday but love the nostalgia of vaporwave".

I realise vaporwave is the main draw here but tell me if I've come to the wrong site because MAN the internet is so shit now with zoomers who continually regurgitate the same tired variations of wojak and pepe and chasing views by appealing to the lowest common denominator.
I'm 38. I was born in 1984. I was like 20 in the Internet's heyday. I like this site, but it seems there are just a couple people over 30 with most people born in the late 90s/early 2000s who are nostalgic for that time in the same way I'd be nostalgic for the 1980s. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The closest approximation to old school SA from around 2003-2008 and whatnot is probably honestly Kiwi Farms which has a pretty big off topic section that is filled with mostly people 25-40, but the level of pure autism on Kiwi Farms is off the charts and that comes with its own set of problems.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Is this just a place where zoomers bask in a faux-nostalgic and completely bastardised version of the (internet) past?

I found this place after searching for more info on the dead internet theory after I saw it on SA forums (and subsequently the fucking Atlantic quoted a post from that thread because the state of journalism isn't dire enough), and because the internet and wider culture seems to have stopped dead in it's tracks and started looping the same shit over and over. Reading through a few select threads it seemed like there's some 30+ old folks here but looking at the introductions thread...there's a lot of "I was born yesterday but love the nostalgia of vaporwave".

I realise vaporwave is the main draw here but tell me if I've come to the wrong site because MAN the internet is so shit now with zoomers who continually regurgitate the same tired variations of wojak and pepe and chasing views by appealing to the lowest common denominator.
Why don't you hang around for a couple of days and find out? I don't think we wax nostalgic here very often, we just prefer a slower way of interacting and opt to hang out in smaller more tight knit groups.

There's no way to bring back the past, but we try to take the best aspects of it. At least that's the vibe that I've gotten from this place.

Edit: There's also this thread too, btw. https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.php?threads/what-is-agora-roads-culture.4185/

Virtual Cafe Awards
Keep in mind you don't have to engage with everything or everyone. Personally I don't care much for vaporwave or schizoposting. I usually just like to hang out and talk about nerd shit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Keep in mind you don't have to engage with everything or everyone. Personally I don't care much for vaporwave or schizoposting. I usually just like to hang out and talk about nerd shit.
Pretty much.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Virtual Cafe Awards

AnonGoonWiz

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
As for the zoomer/millennial situation I'd say it doesn't matter. It's a very US centric view of generations and thinking in those divisive terms just forces people into their little stereotypical boxes which affects how you think and act. I'm not a boomer, i'm not a zoomer, I'm not a millennial. I'm just who I am. and I definitely am against the mainstream web, having lived all my life among old table based layouts, skeuomorphic user interfaces and old-school forums. From what I've seen other members are similar in opinion and that's the basis of the forum's culture.
I'm 38. I was born in 1984. I was like 20 in the Internet's heyday. I like this site, but it seems there are just a couple people over 30 with most people born in the late 90s/early 2000s who are nostalgic for that time in the same way I'd be nostalgic for the 1980s. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I find these markers are pretty useful. I'll expand my thoughts on that, and faux-nostalgia and the like when I get the chance but the short-hand is it's inauthentic, regressive and prone to being exploited for profit and/or views.

Why don't you hang around for a couple of days and find out? I don't think we wax nostalgic here very often, we just prefer a slower way of interacting and opt to hang out in smaller more tight knit groups.

There's no way to bring back the past, but we try to take the best aspects of it. At least that's the vibe that I've gotten from this place.

Edit: There's also this thread too, btw. https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.php?threads/what-is-agora-roads-culture.4185/

I'll stick around for a bit, see if there's anything of interest in the vein of the "dead internet theory". The ultimate conclusion of the theory is kinda stupid, ala sniperfrog.exe, but the rest of it is an interesting way to view how the internet has turned out.

GhostCow

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

The closest approximation to old school SA from around 2003-2008 and whatnot is probably honestly Kiwi Farms which has a pretty big off topic section that is filled with mostly people 25-40, but the level of pure autism on Kiwi Farms is off the charts and that comes with its own set of problems.
I'm the same age but I disagree on what was the internet's heyday. It had already started to decline when we were in our early 20s. I'd say it was at it's best some time around age 13-17

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm the same age but I disagree on what was the internet's heyday. It had already started to decline when we were in our early 20s. I'd say it was at it's best some time around age 13-17
Yeah, maybe. The late 90s was peak finding a random weird website. Like, you'd randomly stumble across someone's novel length Donkey Kong Country fan fiction or pictures of deformed babies or some random little usenetish early forum where people are slapfighting about Star Wars and there's one random guy who's like the alpha nerd of this little 20 person forum. He'd actually have a girlfriend and she'd be posting on the forum too, but she was probably not even real.

It's hard for me to deny the fun I had on SA and other sites in the early 2000s before things went south, though. I really think you'd be hard pressed to argue that the peak of forums culture wasn't around 2002-2008ish. It's like it reached a critical mass where people our age were getting old enough to have a discussion before it reached a tipping point where it got monetized and social media took over.

nagolbud was a guy who spoke the truth.
snowflake feds got mad and banned him, they tried to whitewash that his ban was undeserved.
Yes because posting constant Youtube videos is very web 1.0

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
but even this is a repeated view that appeals to masses

Virtual Cafe Awards

shroomish

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm 29, and I don't really talk to many people who are under the age of 26, but it seems like the majority of people now in their late teens and early twenties are active on TikTok and stuff. Which I just have zero interest in at this point, but I think that overall people who are growing up now are a lot less mean than I remember kids being when I was in middle school and high school. I was just talking to my partner about this the other day, but I think that people were really materialistic in the 80s, 90s, and the early 2000s. In 2004-2005, I was around 13, I remember wanting to fit in and be accepted for wearing name brand clothes even though my family couldn't afford it, and people were really judgmental about it. I don't see the same things happening now. I think that younger people are still people, too, and are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

Nagolbod was a federal agent tasked with destroying web forums and sowing division amongst it's members.

It's all in the manual of how to destroy forums to prevent normies from talking too openly and challenging the false narrative.

Virtual Cafe Awards

white0walls

Nagolbud #1 fan
Reaction score
Awards
Nagolbod was a federal agent tasked with destroying web forums and sowing division amongst it's members.

It's all in the manual of how to destroy forums to prevent normies from talking too openly and challenging the false narrative.
Nagolbud didn't sow nearly as much division as the pirate banning him and lying about it did

shroomish

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

It's all in the manual of how to destroy forums to prevent normies from talking too openly and challenging the false narrat
Nagolbud didn't sow nearly as much division as the pirate banning him and lying about it did
Who is nagolbod?