The age of convenience and the death of quality time spent with anyone or- the fall of human on human interaction

Soundstation116

Soundscape
Reaction score
Awards
The question is simple - what do y'all think of the death of brick and mortar stores and physical get togethers that's come from the age of convenience?

people used to go with their friends and family into the local rental store or park, they used to do way more physical things and had way more physical face to face interaction.
Yet all there seems to be anymore in todays age is less physically grounded people and more of those that are so chronically online they become agoraphobic shut ins, afraid of any human connection other than that on the other side of the screen. Towns are dying everytime a new sanitized media app gets made, everytime a new streaming service or delivery app gets thrown out into the world is just another reason people have to never leave their homes

people have been driven onto the internet and out of malls/ physical locations, and even now the corporate world has began to wreck absolute hell onto that space as well.

What will happen when the internet gets rid of personally made content and self made content for the sanitized 'i support the current thing' safe rhetoric? Where will we be then and what do you think of this?
Humans were social animals, they were not meant to be this shut out of their close circles.

Virtual Cafe Awards

magnificat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Agree with everything you say, but I think the most distressing side effect of this is the homogenization of culture. Everyone speaks the same (look at the frequency of the phrase, 'y'all' over the last 20 years), everyone likes the same things, everyone consumes the same product. And, as shown in the dead internet thread, its all controlled by a few centralized entities. If Zuckerberg et al get their wish and the metaverse becomes a thing, it cements all the problems you are talking about permanently.

Soundstation116

Soundscape
Reaction score
Awards
Agree with everything you say, but I think the most distressing side effect of this is the homogenization of culture. Everyone speaks the same (look at the frequency of the phrase, 'y'all' over the last 20 years), everyone likes the same things, everyone consumes the same product. And, as shown in the dead internet thread, its all controlled by a few centralized entities. If Zuckerberg et al get their wish and the metaverse becomes a thing, it cements all the problems you are talking about permanently.
Exactly this. There's basically no 'culture' online, atleast the 'unsanitary' type of cultural celebration. Everything from the days of angelfire and MySpace has all but since been erased and replaced by nothing but sanitized 'safe family friendly' content. Everyone always brings up the arguments 'oh you want it back only for nostalgia sake' but that's not the case Because even without the rose tinted glasses the physical social climate was way better. Humans are social creatures and they need actual human interaction besides that from a screen.
There's been studies on children not being able to fully understand social interaction and cues just from the current fad of shutting everything down for one cough. There's dead eyes everywhere and it's been such a long time since I've seen a true smile that reaches a persons eyes.
this shit isn't only fucking up Children either, it's fucking with everyone. The human mind wasn't meant to deal with such digital media and content at once, it wasn't meant to stare at a screen for every moment of the day.
no matter how many ways people find a reason to stay as a shut in hermit you can never find an absolute right way to fulfill the human need for physical love and touch.
sure 2007 wasn't absolutely perfect but there's so much more to look forward back then than in the present. There was so many physical things to do and see, so many places you could go with real people to. But things just look bleak in the present.

everything looks the same because people crave to be in a 'in group'. They crave that social interaction and connection so badly they're willing to do anything for it. Most of the time the only reason people hop on new TikTok trends is because they want to belong, not for the actual substance and theme of the trend. Why do you think people all have the same bedroom decorations on any social media? Because they want to belong someplace, not for the substance of the decorations itself.

you even see it with the alt and punk crowds, with how they're basically they're at the absolute top of the market but act like they're still the silent minority. It's all the same shit, the same homogeneous swarm. Even with how 'alt' they seem to try and act like, they all seem to try and compete for who can be a bigger simp for big tech and all that. They're 'alternative' till it's against the 'I support the current thing'.
corporations have wrecked hell onto any and all the things that constitute you as a human and it's such a sad thing to see

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
The question is simple - what do y'all think of the death of brick and mortar stores and physical get togethers that's come from the age of convenience?

people used to go with their friends and family into the local rental store or park, they used to do way more physical things and had way more physical face to face interaction.
Yet all there seems to be anymore in todays age is less physically grounded people and more of those that are so chronically online they become agoraphobic shut ins, afraid of any human connection other than that on the other side of the screen. Towns are dying everytime a new sanitized media app gets made, everytime a new streaming service or delivery app gets thrown out into the world is just another reason people have to never leave their homes

people have been driven onto the internet and out of malls/ physical locations, and even now the corporate world has began to wreck absolute hell onto that space as well.

What will happen when the internet gets rid of personally made content and self made content for the sanitized 'i support the current thing' safe rhetoric? Where will we be then and what do you think of this?
Humans were social animals, they were not meant to be this shut out of their close circles.
considering i live in bumfuck nowhere texas , im forced to go out since amazon and other shit takes 16 fucking years to deliver. Lucky me

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
People out here talking about the death of physical interaction on a niche forum on the internet that doesn't promote physical interaction with any of the members.

The snake eats itself faster and faster :IAMINIMMENSEPAIN: :IAMINIMMENSEPAIN: :IAMINIMMENSEPAIN: :IAMINIMMENSEPAIN: :IAMINIMMENSEPAIN:

Virtual Cafe Awards
Dude, you know it's still possible to text a friend and tell him "hey bro, wanna hang out?", right?
Human interaction may be dwindling for the whole of society, but that doesn't mean you can't choose to physically see a friend.

TBH I've stopped caring about what people do. They do tiktoks to fit in? Good. Let them. Won't prevent me from doing my own thing. They want to scream on all rooftops that they are for this or that cause? Right, they can. They want to stay home rather than hang out with others physically? Aight. Do it. This won't prevent me from living my life. They prefer convenience? Ok. I personally am wary of whatever seems too convenient because you tend to be the product, but it's not my problem if they give away their data. Me on the other hand, I know what I'm doing and I know what my choices are.

If I want to meet up at the mall with someone I'll ask them to. If I want to take a walk rather than watch some netflix show, I'll ask them to. I have realized that you can choose to stay the victim of your circumstances or just choose to ignore them and live life the way you want.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
You're right about irl socialization being paramount and your concern about the rise in people secluding themselves digitally is valid, but I'm surprised at how much you wring your hands at this when the situation is not hopeless at all.

Sure brick and mortar is dead and everybody is glued to their phones, but I still go out and have fun with bright-eyed, fun, and intelligent people in meatspace almost everyday and you can do so too. You don't need malls, cinemas, or whatever pre-digital form of consumerism you prefer as an excuse to go out with people. You just need to go out with people. Its a choice we all actively make and if you want to have a more socially rewarding life you've gotta be proactive.

My (unsolicited) advice? Just choose an activity to bond over with people. It can be anything you wish, and if it is something that forces you to meet new people even better. Go play a sport or take an art class, for fucks sake call your friends and invite them to play video games at your house. You might end up not even playing the game and spend the time just hanging out. If someone reading this is socially anxious, know that just being there is enough.

In short, the actions you take affect your personal world much more than whatever macro trends society is going through, idyiot. Choose to live in a better world.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
i really hate socializing, i don't like seeing people i don't like talking to strangers it isn't fun to me and feels like a waste of time.

yeah i like going out with my friends but when i want to buy shampoo or go grocery shopping i don't want to chit chat with the clerks.
i also hate texting, i hate waiting for a reply so always call anyone i need to talk to.
anyways despite everything becoming digital humans do need to socialize so there will always be some sort of medium to scratch that itch, bars and coffee shops probably aren't going anywhere

Virtual Cafe Awards

quick

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not to mention making physical consumerism look as the peak of human interaction
I missed the part in the OP where they said physical consumerism was the "peak of human interaction", stop talking like a fag

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I missed the part in the OP where they said physical consumerism was the "peak of human interaction", stop talking like a fag
OP is putting a lot of emphasis on brick and mortar shops and malls dying, which is physical consumerism. Also, these are not the chans dude, stop acting like a fag.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vrashzt

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Dropping in just to say that in my opinion, the meatspace didn't go to shit because of smartphones, delivery apps, and the like. I tend to think it is the other way around, the reason people spend an increasingly amount of time online is because the offline world is almost unbearable due to how bad things are now, and they keep getting worse.

Deleted member 3578

I'll read thru this more later, been working a lot--- but goddamn am I glad I am record collecting nerd. I still have actual shops I go to and have cool conversations with the shop keeps and occasional customer.

And it's carried over into the online space as I connect with other nerds in other places. Collecting can get gross, but it can also find you friends and fun instances.

Deleted member 3578

Every record store I like in my city beholds someone at the desk with a nice nerdy chat to be had. It's pretty chill.

7-Eleven Spy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Dropping in just to say that in my opinion, the meatspace didn't go to shit because of smartphones, delivery apps, and the like. I tend to think it is the other way around, the reason people spend an increasingly amount of time online is because the offline world is almost unbearable due to how bad things are now, and they keep getting worse.
Definitely something I've thought about as well. A lot of people have complaints about the world -- but actually FIXING them? Some of that may as well be impossible because of the systems we continue to perpetuate. And when it's impossible to improve your situation? Smart phones, social media, etc. are the newest drug for the masses to abuse.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I get that the political and economical climate is not too hot right now, but why is going out with other people irl unbearable?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
It sucks because even when I do want to go meet up with friends in the real world and hang out, someone is busy and it takes weeks of planning around everyone's schedules, so nothing ends up happening. Its infuriating and depressing, and I feel like I'm annoying my friends trying to plan anything.

It does feel like real life human interaction is dying since people are too depressed to leave their houses, which makes them more depressed because they aren't getting any sunlight or human interaction, thus the cycle continues.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I'd like to be a little more serious and say that I see this shift towards individual isolationism is no different than the shift humanity experienced from being hunter/gatherers to an agricultural society. Perhaps it is simply the next change in our functionality. Or, perhaps, it is like old age and we are simply entering life support. Its hard to say, but I'm interested to see where it goes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

quick

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
OP is putting a lot of emphasis on brick and mortar shops and malls dying, which is physical consumerism. Also, these are not the chans dude, stop acting like a fag.
Though I don't think going back to the 80s or 90s is the ideal state of human existence, I think there is value in using recent past examples of how things have changed simply within our current culture to illustrate how things are slipping because it helps form perspective. Rather than jumping straight to some ideal utopia it helps to place steps through reflection to build a stronger foundation for thought about the issue. It's much like my use of this website - in my ideal world I won't have to touch a fuckin internet connected computer ever again, but along the way I am enjoying the freedom of this return to an earlier age of internet communities by using it in a way I didn't back when forums like this were the norm. By that I mean throwing cheap & easy insults at people who post empty tweet-tier one-liners! HA HA HA HA HA!

Fyren

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If you ask me it goes hand-in-hand with the fact that individualism has become a paramount cause in (western) societies. The void of the loss of religion was never filled, and no amount of encouragement "bro you're the most important person in your life bro" is going to change that. Many people aren't made for this line of thinking. Neither am i. Just look at the rates of depression, suicide and loneliness that are increasing yearly. We're detached from society, and by extension, existential meaning.

If it's always about the 'you' and not about the 'us', it's no wonder that social spaces are drying up. Personally i see this development as the death knell of social cohesion, and unless we figure out how to fill that space back up, whether it be by returning to traditional ideals or creating something new entirely, this will not change.

I don't live in North America myself, but Western Europe, but whilst i get the idea this is a much worse problem in North America, it's equally a thing here.

There's a town not too far from where i live (i've visited it before, although it has nothing of value worth visiting other than this) where the municipality has always blocked chains from entering the city. I think the exception was made for supermarkets, but im not sure. Either way, the town has a much more diverse center with a more vibrant attitude than what you'd see of other towns its size. It's an interesting situation, and i've honestly always really appreciated it.

Virtual Cafe Awards